Bronze Hands Lost Wax Project

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Sillytrain, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Good job. On to the next project!

2. Sillytrain

Sillytrain Silver

Well brothers, I've finally finished my epic project documentary video. We're going to surprise her on August 30th. Getting pumped up over here.

Peedee, DavidF, dtsh and 1 other person like this.
  3. Sillytrain

Sillytrain Silver

We finally gave her the hands last night. There were many tears and laughs all around. It ended up being especially meaningful because it turns out that this Sunday, my wife's parents will be moving to the other side of the country for the next few years. No one would have imagined they would be moving when we started this project, but the timing ended up being perfect as a farewell gift to them.

I can't thank everyone here enough for all the help and support you've all shown me during this intense endeavor. You guys are an amazing and creative community here.
    From the bottom of my heart.... thank you! I couldn't have done it without you.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

GOOD FOR YOU! You stuck in there and made it!

What's next?? It only gets better from here!

5. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I was going to say the exact same thing. :D

6. Sillytrain

Sillytrain Silver

My brother in law got into 3D printing as a hobby pretty heavily. He’s up to 3 different printers running simultaneously at this point lol. I recent discovered that they make a casting wax filament. So I might collaborate with him to try printing some wax models for casting. It kind of opens up a ton of possibilities!

two things I’d like to make are first a Tibetan singing bowl. Im going to experiment with making my own alloy using copper, tin, And a cracked symbol that I chopped up.

After that I might try to make a decorative replica of the Poseidon trident from wrath of the titans out of aluminum bronze.

7. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

You may want to search the lost PLA Casting subforum and printing filament for casting.

Best,
    Kelly

8. Sillytrain

Sillytrain Silver

I didn’t realize we had a sub forum for that! Ty!!

9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

PLA seems to work well. I've heard the wax filament has many issues and is expensive. I have some that I need to try out at some point but PLA works very well.

10. Sillytrain

Sillytrain Silver

What kind of issues have you heard about the wax filament?

I’ve seen the Print2Cast wax filament but the precision on it looks lower than other filament.

And what about polymaker polycast? Is that similar to PLA?

11. rocco

rocco Silver

Here's what I could find on a quick google search of "polycast"

12. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

The wax filament is difficult to print with, loves to warp off the bed on larger parts, and has layer separation problems.

I have my best luck with the solutech ultra pla filament. It has to be their ultra pla, not the standard pla.

13. Sillytrain

Sillytrain Silver

Ty David!!

DavidF likes this.