Burners whistleing and puffing

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by Skratch, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Skratch

Skratch Silver

I've got a double burner furnace from fleabay, one burner works ok except for sometimes puffing, the other one
    don't burn as well and makes a whistling sound. The higher I turn the gas the better it works but still does it. Does altitude make a difference ? I'm at 5k feet.

2. rocco

rocco Silver

Dual burners can sometimes be tricky, sometimes the turbulence from one burner can disrupt the other burner, how does the problem burner work if the other one is not lit?

Skratch likes this.
  3. Skratch

Skratch Silver

It still makes the noise and puffs though not as bad. I measured the tip size, it's .041 " or 1.04 mm , I had a small crucible in it I was tempering with borax,
    don't know if that makes a difference. I'm new to this, really appreciate your input.

Thanks, John ,,,

4. Jason

Jason Gold

At higher elevations (and yes I consider 5k to be pretty high) you will need more airflow or less fuel flow to get it to run right. Play with that or make us a video.

Skratch likes this.
  5. rocco

rocco Silver

If it's a venturi type of burner, a smaller tip might help too, a smaller tip means you get a higher velocity fuel jet for the same fuel pressure and a higher velocity jet draws in more air.

Skratch likes this.
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

He's running rich. So that might help.

Skratch likes this.
  7. Skratch

Skratch Silver

Found this video, seems like my problem, like Jason said, running rich. I have the same thing with my forge, same type burner as on furnace , but just single.
    Maybe altitude part of the problem. I'll try to figure out how to post video . Thanks all ,,,,,,

8. Jason

Jason Gold

A lot of us are car guys, so it's easier to think of this as rich/lean. Point a small hairdryer on low at the hole and watch the difference. Bet she roars like a lion!

Skratch likes this.
  9. Skratch

Skratch Silver

Is there a recommended tip size for the burner ? I've seen as small as .023, mine is about .041" / 1.04mm.