Cabochon machine project: continued from "Reinforcing 12" deep pattern

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Mark's castings, Apr 15, 2022.

1. I spent 30 minutes last night checking over this project as it gets close to completion and thought I'd post an update here. It needs some water flow testing for the plumbing but with 1/4" copper tube and 900 PSI stainless hydraulic valves it should connect to water mains pressure just fine. The stainless sheet splash guards came out ok, lots of grinding though, as I learn to TIG weld properly. All the patterns will need some minor modification but this Mk1 pathfinder is almost ready to use: grind a few screws down, fit acrylic guards at the front over the wheels and then strip down and paint. I'll make some bronze heatsink blocks for use on the inside of the next TIG welds to avoid the black oxide and daggy welds.

Counting the 10cm cylinder slugs for the pulleys, there's six sand castings in this machine and all came out fine first time.....going to be fun replicating that success the second time round.

8 inch cabbing lids closed 1 800.jpg

8 inch cabbing lids closed 2 800.jpg

8 inch cabbing lids open 1 800.jpg

8 inch cabbing water plumbing 1 800.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    Patrick-C, Tobho Mott, Tops and 2 others like this.
  2. All right the project is finished: it's finally been stripped down, the main castings coated in two coats of spray putty/primer and two coats of hammertone silver. There's a lot of fine detail stuff like grinding welds, deburring, sand blasting etc as well as testing the water spray pattern, a hand etched label plate finishes it and I just have to make a shipping crate or two.

cabbing painted.jpg

cabbing painted 2.jpg

cabbing painted 3.jpg

3. PortaMelt

PortaMelt Copper

Very nice, I like it ;) I also design machinery, so I can truly appreciate the amount of thought and attention to detail that went into it. Job well done.

Tobho Mott, Tops and Mark's castings like this.
  4. Thanks!, there are a number of features not readily apparent compared to other machines which caused technical issues that had to be solved in innovative ways. I forgot to take a picture of the number of containers filled with fasteners and components while it was stripped down for painting.

Tops likes this.
  5. PortaMelt

PortaMelt Copper

LOL Yea, I always forget to take those pictures also :) Imagine all the fasteners and components that went into building my first machine :) and this is only a partial photo :)

It is a wire bending machine, capable of producing 20,000 preformed springs per day

SB1.jpg

Tops likes this.
  6. Now I know why springs are expensive :D.

Tops likes this.