Camping

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by DavidF, Sep 20, 2018.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

20180920_215126.jpg Out camping for a couple days. Had a crucible the truck and some crucible tongs.
    Not sure what will become of this...
    Time will tell...

2. PatJ

PatJ Silver

LOL, run to the nearest foundry; do not walk.
    You are exhibiting severe withdrawal symptoms.

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  3. DavidF

Your not kidding.... big time withdrawal!!

4. Have heat will melt...

5. DavidF

Also finding out that a hot dog poker/roaster thingamajig makes a poor dress skimmer...

6. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Walk towards the foundry.....walk towards the foundry........

7. It must be a genetic condition: I see Youtuber Ave was out camping in an old silver mining area and managed to use charcoal to reduce some ore to silver metal.

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  8. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I paddle out every year in late September with the same bunch of guys for a no wives no kids weekend... We feast and smoke and drink our faces off and sleep on rocks and roots, yet somehow it is very restful, and the best part is in 18 years we haven't once had to bury a body in the woods and get all our stories straight even though we've done campfire casting using channel locks as crucible tongs and played with homemade black powder and all manner of irresponsible idiotic foolishness. That is where I had my first experience with molten metal in 2013. I've posted this before, but never in such a relevant thread:

Heading out next Wednesday for a few extra days this year; can't wait! Although we're expecting rain. Won't be the first time we had to huddle under tarps and dig canals to lead the rain water away from someone's tent.

Jeff

Mark's castings likes this.
  9. PatJ

PatJ Silver

There is nothing quite like waking up at 2:00 A.M. in a torrential downpour and having 6" of water in your tent, and look out to see your backpack and other items floating down the stream.
    High ground is everything when camping during the rainly season.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

The only camping I'm willing to do these days is at the HILTON!

11. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Your just not living.

12. DavidF

This is how I "rough it" lol.. just wish I could fit my vacuum and mixing set up in it... FB_IMG_1470272224225.jpg

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  13. Man! You're one tough dude!:D

Mister ED likes this.
  14. Tobho Mott

As long as we don't get tornadoes at the lake next week like we did in town here last night, I'll consider my little tent quite luxurious.

The storm that rolled through didn't hit my end of town so bad, we just lost power for several hours. But out in the West end, houses got flattened! And many will be without electricity for days. Feeling kinda lucky I only had to stay up past my bedtime to babysit the generator I had running the sump pump.

Jeff

15. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

We got it south of buffalo last night too. My town got spared but a couple towns south had 3seperate twisters.

Pete

16. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

We (Richmond,VA) got hit this past week as well. Nothing at my house, barely a breeze. But 8 blocks away... trampolines in the power lines, trees on cars & in houses, roofs gone.
    Heavy rains flooded basements.
    I've been servicing boilers & water heaters all week.

I'd rather be camping.

17. Robert

Robert Silver

I went kayaking on the Gauley River in WV last week. I stayed in a WV hotel. It was just like camping...
    Robert

Jason and Rtsquirrel like this.
  18. Tobho Mott

We headed out at 6AM on schedule this morning - somehow I got the canoe up on the van last night in the dark instead of waiting for til morning like usual. At our site now, and the Valyrian Bronze axe is making firewood like a champ. This is gonna be great.

I guess I'm gonna be able to survive another year in my cube without going crazy after all!

Message_1537987539074-780x1040.jpg

Jeff

oldironfarmer and Rtsquirrel like this.
  19. Axe looks good in it's element.

20. Robert

Robert Silver

That's awesome. I was afraid it would dull the edge too easily. Remind me what the alloy is?
    Robert