Casting lead.

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Jason, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

This was some pure lead from medical equipment. melts at over 600F instead of the 560F I'm used to for printers lead. Lino-type metal flows and casts great but is brittle and you can't bend it. This stuff bends easily but shows a lot of flow lines. I heated the mold up as much as I could. I had a small fire on my workbench. :D

I think the commercial stuff is cast in sheets and then rolled into the desired thickness. That would help a lot with it being pliable.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Real came is too thin. I already tried it. They didnt have machine rolled came for this time period. This work is very crude and I'm trying to stay true to it. I'm guessing that was a typo. You said .016 (1/64) but I think you meant .16

Looks like it coiled up pretty easily. I dont care what it looks like on the face. It's just the edge that's important here. Ya dont hear that one often.

3. Jammer

If you want crude this should be fine. :D Yes, .16

Send me your address and I'll stick this in a flat rate box.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

Can ya get it around .100?

5. Jammer

I was shooting for .1875 , 3/16 " I can put in thinner spacers and see how it comes out.

CRAP, stupid Sometimers. I thought you wanted 3/16 not 3/32. :oops:

6. Jason

Jason Gold

no worries.. no hurry. Got nothing but time.

7. I suspect it's probably extruded. That's the most precise way of controlling thickness. Some Dentists still use thin lead plates when taking X-Rays with conventional equipment too. They're pretty little though.

8. joe yard

joe yard Silver

[​IMG]

Stained Glass Tools and Supplies - Lead Came 3/16 Inch Round
    $7.47

metal

Lead Came 3/16 inch Round
    Use within the panel for small pieces
    6 foot length supplied

Jason
    Would something like this be of any use?
    Joe

[​IMG]

GorgeousGlassLtd
    5 out of 5 stars

(33)

Stained Glass Tools and Supplies - Lead Came C Section

$9.03

9. Jason

Jason Gold

I'm afraid not. I saw some down in austin recently. It's much smaller and paper thin. Only suitable with thin flat glass.