Casting Metal Sources

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by Wader, Feb 17, 2023.

1. Wader

Wader Copper

I am looking for a good, fair, supplier of aluminum for casting. I don't want to cut up auto engines and have to deal with the oils, greases and other contaminants. Any recomendations for a a good, fair source of billets or pellets would be appreciated. I live in Grand Junction, CO. Thanks in advance for your input.

2. rocco

rocco Silver

Cast aluminum alloy car rims are good stock. Check with a few local body shops and auto wreckers, ask them what they do with damaged rims. Several years ago, I had a local body shop owner offer to give me some.

3. BattyZ

BattyZ Silver Banner Member

Atlas Metals has been pretty easy to work with for me. Getting virgin 356.2 alloy stock. I believe they are out of Colorado as well.

4. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

5. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

I got some Mercedes aluminum, about 50 lbs. A Mercedes went off the road and took out a traffic signal pole. Base was nice clean cast A356 conveniently smashed into small pieces. Road crew looked the other way while I loaded it into my car. I would bet if I went down to the service yard where they take the broken poles I could get a lot more. I watch for street light poles lying on the ground and grab the loose pieces if they are still there.