Catching Up on Some Machining

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Al2O3, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

With my furnace back in action I was able to catch up on some machining. Now they just need to be vacuum impregnated. Think I'll work on that tomorrow.

1-27-2018 Machined Castings 800x600.jpg

Best,
    Kelly

Red97 likes this.
  2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Well shit, someone has been busy... LOL I just started on an order of 50 bezels that are in 3 pcs. nice 5k project :)

3. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

I made a decent casting once about a year or so ago...

Jason likes this.
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

I dipped some wax into a bucket of yellow goo today...:( Should we start a sticky thread like WTF did you do in your foundry today? Or does stuff in those get lost to the ravages of time and 50,000 posts??

5. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

How about... "WTF I had to do that stopped me from doing something in my foundry today".

At least I would have a lot more to offer

Tobho Mott likes this.
  6. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

Gee whiz, Jeff, you got aluminum oxide all over those parts ;). I hope soon to have a tray of parts waiting on machining following a good series of casting sessions. Right now, though, there's milling machine parts on the tray.

I always seem to come back to casting with one thought in my head ... Now WTF was I trying to do?

7. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I cast 19 grams of sterling about 3 days back. Wooooohooo.... go me...

Nice looking castings. You have it down.

I want to see this vacuum impregnating though. Sounds like the business.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Zap have you poured a wax chicken yet or still away at school?

9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Nah not yet. I still haven't even made the wax copy. I'm not trying to rest on my laurels but yeah school is busy busy at the moment. I'm in my internal medicine rotation now and I'm pulling 10-12 hr days and weekends too for 2 months now. Starting to feel a bit burned out. I figure there isn't a rush on getting the bird copy done since I won't be back in CT for probably a year or so.

Also, I'm spending a decent chunk of time upgrading this anet A8 3D printer (bit of a POS) to a workable printer that isn't a fire hazard. I'm converting it to a full metal extruded frame this weekend with proper fiberglass belts, added mosfets and rewired the electronics to have bigger wires, different secure connections and a 30 amp instead of 15 amp powersupply, better bearings, new firmware upgrade, etc etc etc etc.

Well, who knows maybe I'll be able to cast sooner, I'm teaching/helping one of my preceptors build a furnace and learn lost wax casting so if we can get that done in the next few months we might have a new lost wax caster in our midst. We're a dying breed Jason, a dying breed!

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah, if you're not pouring metal onto a dead catz balls, no one cares. You following Fritz on youtube? He's an artist that does bronze work. I'm helping him ditch the professional foundries and pour his own stuff. So the art isn't totally dead yet...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLLmnOl3ZVDhtGIvhTN1GCw

11. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Red97 likes this.