Chunk Jewel Lamp

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Jason, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks Pat... But the only thing I got outta watching this show was if by chance I can't chip or cast my chunks of glass for my chunk jewel lamp, I'll hot work some rod into chunks. Can't be that hard, just have the kiln sitting at annealing temperature. Blast some glass with a load of heat, shape with some pliers and chuck it in the kiln to cool down. Hell if that man hating d&$@ can do it, why cant I? I'll save anyone some serious time watching this series. Just watch the last episode. You'll get your yearly dose of man bashing and political correctness lessons all in just 23mins.:rolleyes:

I am not kidding either.;) It is really that awful.:rolleyes: By the time that show was over, I half expected them to send me my free pair of scissors so I can lop off my manhood!:mad:

2. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I did skip through much of it, and was watching the techniques, so I totally missed any political correctness stuff.

But if you think that show was politically correct, try making a post/poll about who you think will win the next presidential election.
    Now that is some fireworks there!
    You could melt diamonds with all the flame that will come out of that topic.

Jason and joe yard like this.
  3. Jason

Jason Gold

That one is a no brainer. No thread or poll needed. Right now, it's see who can promise the most free stuff. Sheep are easily lead astray.

... now back to work on my damn lamp!:p

4. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

SHEEP! Sheep! Who are you calling Sheep? You Baaaaaaaaaaad Boy :p;)
    That lamp is way safer (and more entertaining to watch progress) than politics. How's it coming by the way.

5. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Stop insulting sheep.
    Its more like Lemmings.

6. PatJ

PatJ Silver

So are you going to do glass work and foundry work?
    You are getting spread pretty thin between those two and the pool project.

7. Jason

Jason Gold

I like the combination of the two. No blowing glass or beads for this guy though.

8. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Jason where are you from? Talking about Sheep and Blowing..... I bet it's rural :p

DavidF and Jason like this.
  9. Jason

Jason Gold

Got some dalle samples in. Now to figure out how to shape these.. They are about an inch thick.

20190807_135648.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

I chipped the bottom side of the dalle samples to thickness. While this may look screwed up, the glass actually isn't fractured in any way. So it's structurally sound and crystal clear. Neat process. Takes tons of patience and a steady hand. And yes, a carbide chisel worked a dream. :p The only downside to doing this is how to attach the lead or copper came to it. Came, is a U or H shaped channel that predates tiffany's copper foil technique to attaching stained glass together. It's available in lead, copper and zinc I believe.

20190810_215612.jpg

Poor mans faceting. Call it what it is.;) Now that I've got this one sort of nailed, Some time, I'd like to weld up a form, place
    a bunch of these in there and pour in lead and see how that works to form a matrix. I think some light preheating in the kiln
    will protect it from having an issue with the temperature difference. Anyone know the COE of lead? hmmmo_O

20190810_215635.jpg

joe yard and Tobho Mott like this.
  11. Peedee

Peedee Silver

12. Peedee

Peedee Silver

looking at it I would think your biggest problem will be hot tears as the lead cools unless your glass is super-hot?

13. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah Peedee, I guess the rules of physics didn't apply a 100yrs ago. Some of this stuff sure is a mystery how they did it. o_O
    Lead has a pretty high COE at 29.:( Good list. Bookmarked!

14. Would electroforming some copper deposits on the glass be too time consuming?. I know the jewellery process exists but have never used it, it would give the glass a tight fitting copper edge for the solder to adhere to. Another thought would be some indium based solder as it's used to solder directly to glass and will wet glass and ceramics. No idea of melting points and price though, the indium metal price went through the roof years back as it was the only metal used for making flat screen lcd's.

[​IMG]

Jason likes this.
  15. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

High COE but low melting point (~622F) so it doesn't produce much linear shrinkage as it cools. As you noted, if you warm the glass, the difference in movement between the two materials will be reduced. If you alloy the lead with a little Tin, the melting can be halved. I wouldn't worry much about hot tearing. Lead has very low yield strength and is very ductile so it likely just strains and naturally stress relieves as it cools around the glass. Lead solders are susceptible to creep (slow movement over time when subject to shear) so isn't typically used in any critically stressed structural pieces.

Best,
    Kelly

Jason likes this.
  16. Jason

Jason Gold

Whoa Mark! What is this mystery voodoo method you speak of? That looks a hell of a lot better than foil tape like the old biddies use! Electroforming.. That's a fun word!
    I've never heard of indium solder either, awesome! I'll do some study!

That's a very good idea Kelly. I didn't think about adding tin to the lead. A beefy soldiering iron would make short work of fixing issues too.

Screenshot_2019-08-07 Bronze Chunk Jewel Leaded Table Lamp Lot 10 #1885937331.jpg

17. Jason

Jason Gold

Incredible! Too bad it's so soft when solidified.

18. Jason

Jason Gold

Bad news... :( Found something that said once something is electroformed, it cannot be soldiered together. I'm guessing this layer of copper is pretty thin. Most of the people doing this I see use apoxie and paint it along with other areas with the conductive paint. This is what the copper sticks to. Still, it's a pretty cool technique, if I was going to glue this stuff together, I would have gone down that road months ago. I appreciate the ideas, it's a waste of a day if you don't learn something new. Keep 'em coming.:D

19. That's a pity about electroforming copper, I wonder what glue is used for attaching copper foil to printed circuit boards as it withstands soldering temps fine. Epoxy gets very soft like cottage cheese when hot so it's no good....hmmm more experiments are needed. I have a copper plating bath set up, I should try plating some different glue graphite mixes and solder to them afterwards.

20. Jason

Jason Gold

Go for it. You'd save me from ordering the stuff. I did see a home made recipe for that stuff on yt... It was distilled water, root kill and some battery acid. Nothing cosmic there.