Chunk Jewel Lamp

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Jason, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Very interesting... I'm thinking of plan B for creating these chunks of glass and if I can't shape them in a flame, casting them would be the ticket in the kiln. Good find.
    60bucks for proper investment ALWAYS sounds cheap to me.

Went to silicone the tree last night and before I started, I realized I didn't have enough to complete the job. Amazon to the rescue! Got some rebound 40 rolling in on a sunday. I'm think bezos is a F-wit, but that company giving NY the finger and sunday delivery makes me smile!

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Poured the shade today in wax. Came out great, very little cleanup work required. Might add a band along the bottom edge.
    20190216_161617.jpg

20190216_164836.jpg

Then I did this brainiac move pouring wax sticks. If ya can't laugh at yourself, wtf good are you then!
    I have no idea what was playing on pandora. Sounds like New order. The wax sticks will become the branches holding the shade to the tree.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yikes. Lucky no carpet. I had a minor spill on my carpeted floor recently. Still need to figure out how to fix that mistake...

Yeah I got a box of glass cast years ago and haven't used it yet. It's up in CT.

It has fibers of something in the investment. Looks like chopped fiber glass or something and plaster powder. Not sure what it really is though.

I think a torch isn't a bad idea. Bubbles will probably be an issue. Also I've noticed that overheating glass can burn or change colors. So watch that.

Also annealing schedules are different for different kinds of glass so you need to find one that works with the glass you are using. I'm still figuring out the annealing process so I won't be of much use. I don't think cooling slowly will cut it long term. Glass can crack days, weeks months or maybe even years later if not annealed right.

5. Jason

Jason Gold

Who knew you can sand wax? Not me.
    120grit and goodbye problems. I'm going to add a texture, but would like it straight and true.

20190218_025150.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  6. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Saw on the other forum where you asked about smoothing the wax out more.
    If you can get some styrene moisten a piece of cheese cloth with it and lightly rub the surface.
    you can usually find it where gel coat is sold at marine supply stores...

7. DavidF

Keep the cheese cloth pretty dry, not dripping wet. Lightly buff, then buff dry.
    Styrene quickly dissolves wax.. fair warning.
    20190218_130430.jpg

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks David. Looks like bbq lighter fluid is working too.

9. DavidF

And probably smells better than the styrene...

10. Zapins

Zapins Gold

People at one of the foundries I went to used some kind of degreaser liquid that smelled of oranges and panty hose for the final polish. Makes the surface look pretty smooth. But easier to flame polish if you want glass smooth finishes.

So you rub styrene foam onto the wax?

11. DavidF

It's a liquid, it dissolves the surface layer of wax until the styrene evaporates. If that makes any sense... hard to explain really...

12. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

IMG_3114.jpg

It's not a hundred, more like 70.
    I've been meaning to get a pic of this since you started this thread but I kept forgetting every time I was at the business property.
    This is scrap from a defunct Libby Owens Ford plate glass factory. They built the largest plate glass factory in the world here in the '30's.
    I remember seeing chunks of glass like this in lots of peoples yards, including ours, back in the '60's.
    I brought the small chunk on the rock home with me. If you want it, PM your address.

13. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Any chance of a link to what it looks like? I haven't heard of it before.

14. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

All that's left of it is the glass yard art. The area was razed and now a strip mall.
    I remember seeing 20 foot tall piles of broken glass in the plant and the day they blasted all the stacks down at one time.

http://charlestonhomeandliving.com/2017/07/02/looking-back-at-libbey-owens-ford/

Those red marbles probably came from the glass plants in Clarksburg. They toted the rejects to a dump site and people are still combing through it looking for rare tallies.

15. Jason

Jason Gold

NICE STUFF BONZ! That's a cool story man, you hang onto that chunk. Thanks for the offer though, I appreciate it.

Really sucks to see the motherf'rs in the govt drive good businesses down the drain over absolutely NOTHING! No different than a current STUPID TWIT that thinks we can ban airplanes in 10years? I like my pilot job thank you very much! If I ever catch that stupid cu#t on a private jet while I'm on the road, I'll kick her straight in the ass. You can bank on that one!:mad:

16. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I used to use a product called Bestine to clean wax. That was back before the computer graphics days when we used t-squares, razor blades, and vertical cameras and film to do layouts. I haven't used a waxer in 25 years but they still make Bestine. Cuts wax like nothing I've ever seen.

Pete

17. Jason

Jason Gold

It's 4am and the tree is in silicone. I'm trying a little different technique courtesy of a dude I saw on YT. Because of the length of this pink dong, I decided I needed to either go two halves or split it up the back side of the tree. I gooped a fat bead of silicone up the back and added registrations. I'll slice it later. So it's not really a glove mold, but not really a two piece. Should be good for a few wax pulls. I'll do a thin fiberglass mother mold tomorrow if it's warm enough. I had to invade the kitchen tonight, the wife was not happy.

Mold ease 200 good enough to keep the fiberglass from sticking to the silicone or should I use booty butter??
    Thanks!

20190219_231620_1550656795109.jpeg

20190220_035818.jpg

20190220_035832.jpg

Good little 3 part demo.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  18. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Even without mold ease the fiber glass won't stick to the cured rubber. You could add it just to ease your mind though.

Looking good man. So it's a one part mold wanna be? The more registrations the better imo. Seems like it should work though.

Are you going to build a clay wall up half of it to get the fiber glass backing in place? A seam down the center would work and a 2 part outer fiberglass mold. I think a single fiberglass mold is going to be very hard to remove and reset between pours.

After using fiberglass on my eagle - never again. I'll use cloth rags and the resin instead. But not fiber glass. It was terribly itchy and ruined clothing.

19. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah I really need to get my hands on that plastipaste stuff. Looks friendly enough.

You are right, I'll clay up half, glass it and flip. 2part mother mold. What did you use to keep the fiberglass from sticking to itself?

20. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I can't remember but it was kind of difficult to release the two parts. I think I just used mold release. Might be good to use the butter.