Chunk Jewel Lamp

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Jason, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

ahh... thanks andy.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

it's about to get real pretty soon. Dragged the spare stuff outta the shop in Florida. She was a little stinky on its first fire, but she verks good!
    The glass cast is in shipping from R&R and waiting on the slow boat from China for pid parts. I guess this means I gotta get a grip on this shelf I call a workbench.:rolleyes:

20190318_002256.jpg

3. Plenty of workspace next where you have the bottle, IFR gun and knife setting. Besides, you've got lots of working area on top of the kiln. Why is it empty? Doesn't look like it's on.

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Translated-----build a shelf over the work bench :D

Tobho Mott likes this.
  5. dtsh

dtsh Silver

Translation of the translation: pile it on top until the angle of repose is discovered or the top collapses; whichever comes first.

DavidF likes this.
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

This bench is 12 feet long. That translates into a 9foot shelf. Flat surfaces suck. I've got to get on this tonight, it's totally out of control now.

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Without a Pid, I took a wild run at casting some of that mystery glass. I believe my fuse temp was a little low or the time was a bit short. Working against me, I noticed the mystery glass pieces have variations in the color.:rolleyes: I went for it anyway and halfassed a schedule. It worked!:D The investment is a winner and the material did not stick to the glass. Next go will be with the proper known glass and hopefully half a clue.:p

20190321_185500.jpg
    20190321_225742.jpg
    20190321_230249.jpg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    dtsh, Tobho Mott and joe yard like this.
  8. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Looks good, the non-mystery glass ought to work even better! This is gonna be cool...

Jeff

9. Jason

Jason Gold

Getting some work done on the branches. I'm only using three to support the shade.
    Here's a sneak peek.

20190327_195016.jpg

Tobho Mott and joe yard like this.
  10. PatJ

PatJ Silver

That is very cool looking.

11. Looking good! Another epic success underway!:cool::cool::cool:

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks guys, I cant wait to see that shade loaded with colorful glass pieces glowing. Lots of pieces to this puzzle.:rolleyes:

Tobho Mott likes this.
  13. Every time I read the title to this thread I get nauseated.

Blowing glass?

14. Jason

Jason Gold

better? :D

15. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Nice bush, that's gonna look really cool. :D

Jeff

Jason likes this.
  16. Jason

Jason Gold

Ughh... Surface finish strikes again. I am amazed at how little info there is on the net for casting glass. I feel like the last Mohican out here.
    Ran a piece last night and after some mild issues with the PID, that I've got pretty much sorted out thanks to you guys, I made this.
    The blue is AMAZING and it only has a 4-5 tiny bubbles that I can live with. What I cannot live with is the shit surface finish on the glass. A phone call
    to the tech at R&R and he thinks it could be my water and suggested distilled water only for ALL INVESTMENTS to control the alkalinity. That includes
    solid investment metal guys too. Also, he thinks I might be fcking up the mold with my dewax/burnout process and wants me to go a little more gentle on it.
    (that might actually hold some merit) Looking at the broken off investment, I can't really see any difference between areas that did smooth over and the rough parts.
    So that leads me to believe, maybe I've got the fuse temps or times wrong. I'm hitting up the glass weenies now and maybe they will know the answer. Until then,
    it's back to the drawing board. Here's some photos for your viewing pleasure.

I guessed at how much glass to add, I came up short. I need to take a measurement of the weight of the wax and come up with a conversion for the glass.
    I'm adding a base to suspend it in the bronze seen here in the wax version of the blue chunk.

Resized_20190403_201838.jpeg

Resized_20190409_230110.jpeg

Looking through the bottom. I couldn't care about the couple of bubbles. I can extend the bubble soak and probably fix that.
    Resized_20190410_130643.jpeg

Look through the top. Darker sections is the thicker parts.
    Resized_20190410_130732.jpeg

Look at the corner. Nice and clear. WTF is happening to the rest of this bastard???????????
    Resized_20190410_131716.jpeg

17. You're doing great.

Tiffany mastered it some time back, without electronics. Makes me appreciate them.

18. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks Andy, Yeah no kidding. I've got another one in investment now and I was smart enough to weigh the wax prior. I'm going to toss the kiln outside and let it smoke the neighborhood out. R&R seems to think I might be hitting it with too much heat and damaging the investment. Time to cut up some more glass... Let's do Green this time. :D

19. I meant to ask, would anybody really care if the surface of the glass is not slick?

20. Jason

Jason Gold

Probably not, but lets try for now. I think there is also some kinda powdered crap you can apply to glass and refire. I think it's like a clearcoat..?o_O