Clarke's new iron breaker

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by PatJ, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

That would be TOO MUCH for ME!:( I already deal with rotator cuff issues.... (stomach sleeper:oops:)

2. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Just so happens that I bought 500 pounds of iron today. Much of it came as 2x2” runners up to 3’ long. So, it had to be broken into 6 or 8” pieces. The video using a 10 pound hammer:

Yup, some work for this 158 pound nearly 72 yr old. But, I figure a little physical work is a good thing. Probably NOT the greatest swing you ever saw, but, hey, it broke!

Denis

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Good job Denis. Pat will send you an airline ticket. I bet he'll even buy the beer.

4. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

No,no...he flies here and I break all the iron he can bring in his suitcase.

Denis

5. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Yep, that is the drill.
    I am sure there are some young whipper snappers here, and some old whipper snappers who can do young whipper snapper stuff.

I am more of a keyboard/mouse warrior.
    I am having to tape the end of my index finger right now because I am wearing the skin off of it.

I am pretty sure they don't see many of those 100 F, 80% humidity days in the Northwest, but I could be wrong.
    I can do 4-5 times as much if the humidity is around 30%, regardless of the temperature.

High humidity will overheat you very quickly swinging a sledge.

I do understand the exercise aspect of it.
    I ride an exercise bike indoors, and try to do enough exertion every day so that when I do go out for an iron pour, I have the stamina to drag out all the equipment, iron and sand, and then drag it all back in again, in the heat and humidity.

As one ages, it is somewhat a matter of use it or lose it; ie: exercise or else you will not be able to exercise.
    That's why the wife and I hiked 2,000 ft down into the Grand Canyon recently.
    3 hours down and 3 hours up, but the humidity was quite low, so not much of a problem.

dennis likes this.
  6. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Id like to know how one manages to break a log splitter,,,,

7. OMM

OMM Silver

Pretty easy. Newton’s three laws...

1/ The big one is, for every action there’s an equal and opposite reaction,
    2/ Any object object in motion (or at rest) will remain, Unless an external force acts on it.

3/ To calculate all this... F=MA

The new rig is decent. Not professional... but it works. He even mentions he had to gusset it because of the forces.

I’ve built a few compact 500 ton presses, my simple guess is he has a 200 ton press that will slowly destroy itself. Welded gussets don’t last in this situation.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  8. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

The shock from the breaking iron kept causing this one coupler to break, more details in Clarke's video in post #1.

Jeff

9. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I would think an oversized arbor press type affair would work, perhaps with a compound action.
    It could be somewhat crudely built, and still work ok (maybe).

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Short ride to 5000feet and drop out the window. FINDING the pieces could be an issue.:(