Controlling WAX shrink.

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Jason, May 4, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

SOB... This thing cratered like the grand canyon.:mad: Took a hot tool down into it and up came the bubbles and it's full of voids.:( Looks like I might have to pour this in layers after all.
    Never would have thought making a 1" fat wax cylinder could be such a PITA. :rolleyes:

On the plus side.... I've got 19more feet of this stupid fence pipe. Dave, mail me back your prized butt plug, it might just fit this pipe! :eek:

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Saving it for a special moment... this aint it...

3. I think you're doing something wrong.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

No doubt about it...:oops: I even suffered watching a handful of old biddies making pillar candles last night. Hoping for that small nugget of info, but they were yacking about fragrance, wicks and other assorted useless dribble.:rolleyes: Gotta be the wax me thinks, these old bags can cast a fat 6inch waxer with pretty much no shrink.

5. Probably the wax, I was wondering about temperature. Could pouring too cool allow too quick of a freeze of the sides, or pouring too hot create unmanageable contraction. Obviously I don't know, just like to hear myself talk.

6. Rasper

Rasper Silver

What wax are you using. I use the McCaughlin 150 and never have any bubbles.

Richard

7. Jason

Jason Gold

2ab150... I don't really have bubble issues either.

8. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Jason any progress on your shrinkage problems? (we only really want to hear about the wax....the bedroom stuff not so much)

9. No, the wife has the other stuff all over Facebook. Fake news, probably.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

omg...:( Just got back in the door. Broke down on the road. Nothing 5grand couldnt fix.:rolleyes: This is the 2nd time in over 8years, so that's pretty good odds we usually get the job done. I'm in the wrong business. The money is in airplane parts. what a RIP.

I'll pull my 3ft cylinder of wax this afternoon. I need a nap now.:oops:

11. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

"Fly with us!" (we usually get the job done) :confused::confused::confused:

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Hey I got a better launch rate than american airlines. If they didn't suck so bad, I'd be out of a job.

13. Zapins

Zapins Gold

My car broke down too. I think the alternator is bad. They wanted 115 to check the alternator and battery. Seems like a RIP off since I can use my voltmeter and check it myself in 5 mins. And a replacement alternator is 90 to 175. So I can basically just check it myself by buying a new part and installing it and seeing if it solves the issue.

14. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

Most parts stores check it for free.

15. Jason

Jason Gold

Rockauto baby!! I use them all the time except for crap I need an easy lifetime warranty for. Alternators, starters etc.. Funny how an OEM alternator will last 7-10 years, but a rebuilt out of Mexico will give you 2 if you're lucky.

A little bit of heat and this 3ft long 1inch chunk of wax slid out. It feels pretty solid, but in the future, I would pour in stages to avoid shrink. When it was cooling, I had to drag hot tools through it to try to fill in the damn voids.

15581287987573902466720251085480.jpg

16. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah I'm pretty ticked off that a1 Toyota doesnt. I don't understand where they get off charging 115 bucks

17. Jason

Jason Gold

here is what an ignition excitor box looks like. I probably could have gotten mine fixed for 1200, but stuck is stuck. I found a guy to install it for 100bucks and a case of beer. Nicest mechanic I've met in years.
    20190516_103614.jpg

18. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Jason, join me and build your own extruder. I'll 3d print a scew for you if you like. This pouring sprues is a waste of your time.

19. Jason

Jason Gold

I know, but I've got too many irons in the fire right now. This glass thing is still kicking my ass... And casting glass is BORING AF...:mad:

20. Zapins

Zapins Gold

You don't enjoy watching glass slowly melt into a premade mold? What a madlad!