Crucible tongs

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Negativ3, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Trying out a design I found on the interwebs...

[​IMG]

Plans attached but be aware this is work in progress and untested as yet.

Attached Files:

2. Robert

Robert Silver

That looks cool. Like a metal pooper-scooper! Is that stainless?
    R

3. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Hopefully my pours will be better than scat. Yup, 2mm stainless but you cant tell after my welding :)

4. Robert

Robert Silver

Just one observation. It appears that this will only hold the crucible by the top edge? Crucibles get malleable at high temps and this may not be secure. I would consider longer arms that reach towards the bottom of the crucible, especially for a heavy load.
    Robert

5. OCD

OCD Silver

Rule of Thumb
    The "cleats" if you can call them that, horizontal jaws, are suppose to be positioned in the bottom 1/3rd section of a crucible.

Yep, just looked it up and it is considered a cleat. :D

6. OCD

OCD Silver

Before I go ASSUMING anything,
    What size crucible do you plan on using the tongs for?
    What type of metal do you plan on melting?

2mm thin material is pretty thin (5/64") and will turn cherry red Real Quick once stuck into a blazing hot furnace at 1200+* to remove a crucible.

I agree with Robert about the jaw section as well.

Reconfigure/make the lower section that's going to be clamping the crucible.
    Figure the tallest crucible the tongs can safely handle, fabricate some arms with tab stops at the top and reassemble.

I would seriously use 1/4" thick material (at a minimum) for the extension arms & jaw section of your tongs.

Honestly, I don't think I'ld be using such a thin metal for this particular application.

Don't want to see anybody getting burned up.

You did a nice job on the tongs.

7. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Hi Robert, the drawing is not complete i.e. does not show the crucible jaws fully.

No tabs at the top provide restraint for the crucible during pouring. When a crucible is closed on, the crucible weight and the top lugs shown provide support during a pour.

The crucible is not squeezed at any time, but the grip/jaw is sized to be a very close fit, so 100% support.

Hi OCD, Salamander A10. I can go to 1/8" or 1/4" material no problem on the gripper/jaw part, totally customizable, point well taken.

8. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I'll be interested to see how you like them Negative3. Weren't those billed as lift and pour? It looks fine for lifting but where do you grab it with the second hand to pour? In the video, you never actually get to see the pivot and pour with the device, only picking and replacing from the furnace. Stainless is certainly better at retaining strength at temperature and reducing heat transfer and aluminum is one thing but that handle looks pretty close to the top of a melt and how big of a glove will that accommodate?

I like whiz-bang mechanisms ergo my lift off furnace but when it came to handling the crucible I went the opposite direction with a dead simple open ring shank. With the lift off furnace you can snatch, pour, and replace with them....sturdy steel and no moving pieces. Now my larger A-60 lifting mechanism has moving jaws but probably wouldn't have had them if I was onto building the open ring shanks before I built it.

Best,
    Kelly

9. _Jason

_Jason Silver

Am I correct in assuming those are the Brian Ogletrog crucible tongs?

10. OCD

OCD Silver

Looks like it.

11. OCD

OCD Silver

12. Jason

Jason Gold

I must be suffering from deja vu! He isn't finished guys... This is what it will be when finished. Brian Olltrig isnt releasing the plans. But our Hero here Negative is hooking us up.
    Kelly, watch the video again. You'll see the tilt O' whirl design. 6minute mark...

13. Robert

Robert Silver

I see...
    R

14. Al2O3

Yes, the video shows the empty mechanism with no crucible being hooked and teetered about but that is not quite the same as manipulating an A10 full of molten metal and hitting the bulls eye.....just sayin.

Best,
    Kelly

15. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

The Angle of the dangle, in direct proportion to the heat of the meat, causes the size of the rise, and the mass of the ass, to remain constant...

Work in progress :)

Jason likes this.
  16. Robert

Robert Silver

I was never good at calculus....
    R

17. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Me too but I can draw a sqiggly line no problem :)

18. Al2O3

Ah yes, a conservation equation....except that last mass of the ass part? :confused:

K

19. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Turns into energy at the speed of light.

20. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah I think 2mm is way too thin.

You have me curious. What thickness metal does the hive mind think is safe for a larger crucible?

I'm going to make lifting tongs for my Clay Graphite Crucible - #16B which holds 51 lbs of bronze. I am a bit hesitant to trust 1/4" thick metal for the jaws. But i will probably use a 1" diameter black pipe for the arms. What are your thoughts?