Crucible tongs

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Negativ3, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

If you will forgive the amateurish welding, here is a photo.

Attached Files:

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Nice welding table..

this is how I shape steel. Before I built this natural gas forge, I was doing it in my furnace.
    Like the garden hose feeding it? LMAO
    20171210_152228.jpg
    20171210_144543.jpg
    20171210_144440.jpg

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  3. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

I "NEED" an anvil, a lathe, a mill ... don't feed the disease please Jason! :)

A wee bit of design progress today...

[​IMG]

4. Jason

Jason Gold

That looks better! 1/4" or even 3/16" construction should be plenty.

Here is my swedish soderfors. Best 900bucks I've ever spent on a boat anchor. The seller showed me this video and I said... MINE. Mail it!

5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Here is my unfinished set of tongs. I'm getting there though. Just need to weld on 90 degree handles, stops, a second set of crucible holder flaps and its ready for testing. Hopefully my welds hold LOL

[​IMG]16 b crucible lifting tongs diy by Zapins, on Flickr

6. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Those are looking good.

The welds look good, but welds that look good and welds that hold can be two different things.
    You can always do a couple of test welds on some scrap, and then bend them to see if the weld snaps.
    A weak weld will be too shallow. I think the rule is if you are welding two pieces together, there should be a slight runout on the back side, ie: the weld went all the way through the thickness of the metal.

Its been too cold here to get out and fabricate anything.
    I need to find my jumpsuit and get out there; I am getting cabin fever.
    There is only so much of watching others build stuff and posting here that I can stand; I need to build something.

7. Hello all, I am a new member here and have enjoyed gaining so much insight reading this thread. Does anyone know how I may procure a set of the Brian Oltrogge style tongs? I would happily pay to have a set made! Alternatively, I would be interested in a cad file that I could use to have the pieces cut as Brian says he had done in his video where the tongs were debuted.

8. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hello and welcome, Copperstack!

I don't think he's made those files available; you might be on your own there trying to copy them. They sure look nice and seem to work well in his video, but they also seem quite elaborate. It has always made me think, fewer moving parts would mean fewer ways for it get bound up or jam when it has heated up and parts have expanded a bit when you're trying to sling a hot crucible around...

You mentioned getting someone to make them for you. Guessing that means you don't do welding? Making crucible tongs and pouring shank is a pretty good excuse to learn, if you haven't already... But it can definitely be a bit daunting at first. Have you seen Myfordboy's no-weld 2-in-1 tongshank video? He used rivets IIRC. Another very simple, effective, affordable, and ready to use off the shelf option for smaller crucibles (my #6's for example) is a set of 3-finger fireplace tongs like I showed here in our other crucible tools thread:
    http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/lifting-tongues-and-pouring-rings.898/#post-20840

Maybe one of those ideas could get you going while you figure out how to make your Oltrogge tongs. Once you figure it out, I'm sure a few people here would be interested in your own CNC cut-out files!

Good luck,

Jeff

9. Jason

Jason Gold

Good luck.. We tried to get him to give them up. I thought someone around here was working on drawing them up???
    Anyone remember who that was?

10. JCSalomon

JCSalomon Copper

If it’s this you’re referring to—
    Screenshot_2019-12-17-20-30-17.png
    —then I have a PDF with dimensions. But I no longer remember where I got it from, nor whether it’s licit to share it.

11. Jason

Jason Gold

Someone at AA was working on it I thought. Been awhile.

12. Mach

Mach Silver

13. Jason

Jason Gold

Where'd negative go? Anyone hear from him lately?

14. Clay

Clay Copper

15. I now have the PDF, but it is missing the crucible grippers. It seems that Brian Oltrogge has not released the plans or finished tongs for sale, nor uploaded to youtube or facebook, nor updated his website in over 2 years. Hope he is ok. I built the fire keg foundry from plans I purchased from Brian's website where I also found that the tongs were "coming soon" section of the store. Guess I will have to settle for another option. Looking for tongs/pouring tool to use with this keg foundry and a #10 clay graphite crucible. I do not have a welder or very much metal fabrication experience. What options are available for sale that will fit this application?

Attached Files:

16. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Al2O3 and Tobho Mott like this.
  17. Jason

Jason Gold

It wouldn't be any work at all if we had the damn cad files. I could email them to a shop and pick it up in an hour. Nake a couple of bends and bolt it together. One and done.
    With that said, I do appreciate pulling the crucible and sitting it down for a moment. It slows the tempo down and makes me assess the temperature of my melt and if I need to pull some crap off it.
    For guys that barely get their metal melted because of wuss furnaces, they probably enjoy the speed of pulling and immediately pouring.

18. OMM

OMM Silver

The problem with these tongues is your pretty much standing over the pour instead of beside it. There is a lot you can’t see. (my buddy pours using a similar set up). it works.

If I only had access to a welder and a disc grinder, I build them out of angle iron. I would just use 3/4” x 3/4” x 1/8”.
    With the same tools,...I would build the pouring shank/ring using 1/2” schedule 40 gas pipe.

19. Jason

Jason Gold

How do you NOT own a tig machine? I couldn't live without my sexy italian HTP.

20. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Think I'm with ya on that one Petee. For small crucibles and low melt point metals you can get by with about anything but they don't scale well nor does the consequences of failure.

Hard to argue with the tried and true........until it comes time to write the check......that'll make a welder out of you.

Best,
    Kelly