CRUCIBLES Size

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by smithdoor, Oct 14, 2018.

1. smithdoor

smithdoor Copper

I am looking to pour up to 6 lb of aluminum what size number of CRUCIBLE should I look for???

Dave

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

An A6 crucible will hold 6 lbs of aluminum. But dont forget that you need enough metal to fill your gating and riser system as well. So maybe go with an A10...

3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Good advice. I think an A10-A12 are just a good all around sizes if you are going to have one crucible. The difference in furnace size required for an A6 versus A10 is almost negligible. I do 90% of my melts with an A10.

Best,
    Kelly

4. An A25 full of aluminium would be about the practical upper limit for one person lifting a crucible by hand with a pouring shank and that gets tiring fast. I opted for an A20 which is 20 Lbs when filled to the brim: I can always put a smaller crucible in the furnace.

If you search for crucible capacity charts online they are typically brass capacity when filled to the brim and by multiplying by 0.3 you'll get your aluminium capacity.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  5. smithdoor

smithdoor Copper

Thank you everyone

Dave

6. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I'm with ya there Mark. My small furnace can just accept an A20. I could probably sling a little more but brim full of aluminum the A20 still commands my attention.

Best,
    Kelly

7. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Man that's a big crucible. My largest is A16 and its enormous.

By the way smithdoor - I think the A means Aluminum and the number means the pounds it can hold of aluminum.

8. smithdoor

smithdoor Copper

Yes most that run a cross was in aluminum pounds
    This time I am keeping ever thing on small side

The mainly casting brass this about three times weight aluminum

I am looking at a A6 or 18 pounds of brass
    But looking building a furnace that will take A10 size but start with A6

When I had my bussinst maxim cap was 250 pounds and 40 pounds of aluminum

Way to big for small casting

Dave