DESIGN - Chop Saw Material Support

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by Negativ3, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Hi all,

I'm in the design phase for a chop saw material support. Each one is basically a 1-1/2" roller.

The center grey block is the chop saw base.

Looking to incorporate a lazy susan type swivel base to give me +/- 55 degrees of swing.

Any thoughts or input from experience you have with this type of support would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. PatJ

PatJ Silver

My cutoff saw has the mitre feature built into it (compound), and it has notches for pre-determined angles such as 45 deg., etc.
    So you already got a saw, or looking to buy one?
    If buying one, get the swivel one.
    If not, never mind.

3. OCD

OCD Silver

If you have a swivel base under the entire saw that means to attain an angle cut the entire saw has to be rotated wherefore severely hampering (reducing) the saws cutting capabilities.

4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I would make the roller positions adjustable and the extension arms each removable, maybe even telescoping or modular. That would be a big commitment of real estate as one piece, plus you dont always get to pick the side youre feeding from so having more options is helpful.

Pete

5. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Thanks guys, this saw is just a standard abrasive cut-off with no swivel built-in. I'm Sick of supporting 8ft lengths of steel with wood for it just to fall over.

An automatic hack-saw is on the shopping list but for now the list has too much other stuff on it :)

I have a fully swiveling mitre saw for dead tree carcasses and it works like a champ.

6. OCD

OCD Silver

While a decent support base/base is ideal I have a few dead man stands in the garage I use for long pieces of material when cutting.

I do plan on making a saw stand one of these days when I get around to it.

Did you look at the design Kelly came up with for his cold saw stand?

The roller system is nice but takes up some reality.

7. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

Though you might be intent on making a nice rig for the chop saw, another possibility would be make a couple of pads. Tack a 3/4" plywood board onto a couple of 2x4 blocks, giving you a 2-1/2" height. They won't fall over but they might scoot around. Just a simple thought.

8. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

OCD, no I did not see Kelly's stand, where is it hosted?

Al, Yea I've had all sorts of supports floating around but as I get more into metal work I feel the need for something more robust and less to fiddle with.

9. Mach

Mach Silver

10. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Her ya-go -3. My cold saw can miter so I didn't need a swivel feature.

http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showthread.php?12155-Chop-Saw-Stand&highlight=chop

On model you posted, it looks like you have the center of the swivel directly under the center of the abrasive blade, which is where I would place it too so you always have max wheel diameter, but isn't there a stationary back fence attached that will swivel with the saw and cause the stock to swivel too? Or is the back fence also able to be repositioned?

I like the one Mach posted. It's similar to mine with respect to the ability to reposition the support rail but not sure I see how that one clamps stock.

Best,
    Kelly

11. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Nice Mach but a little more work than I want to put in at the moment. Good idea to have an abrasive saw above a welder? mmm...

12. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Kelly, the back fence is adjustable too. Looking to remove it all together and incorporate a fence into the base, so when the saw is swiveled the stock remains straight on the stands. Need to figure out stop blocks fro most used angles but they can be fabri-cobbled when cuts are being made.

13. Al2O3

OIC. It's just my back fence that swivels not the saw. I just square cut stock to length and then set the miter to cut the ends. The rail would not support a long piece of stock in the mitered position but it is quick and easy to use and reposition the rail.

Best,
    Kelly

14. OCD

OCD Silver

It would be nice if they made a cold saw that has swivel / double miter cut capabilities like a regular chop saw,
    And is in the DeWalt pricing category.

They (other manufacturers) do make such a beast but with a hefty price tag.

15. OCD

OCD Silver

I’m really surprised that you guys with CNC router systems and lathes haven’t whipped up a miter base for your cold saws.

Would definitely make life a little simpler.

16. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Wish I had the budget for a cold saw... :)

17. Al2O3

They are pricey but for what it can do a great value and wow it was a great addition to my shop. It can cut a 4" x 1/4" wall pipe in short order and I cut 1" solid stock with it. I have cut a lot of steel with it and the blade is just starting to show some signs of fatigue. A few chips but could probably be resurrected to near new with a sharpening. If you cut a lot of heavy bar the power band saw might be a a better choice but for <1/4"wall structural steel it's a hands down winner.

Best,
    Kelly

18. OCD

OCD Silver

The cold saw is one saw I’m glad Kelly strongly suggested I get and not cheap out on.
    It has paid for itself in more ways than 1.

I’ve cut up to 1/4” x 8” C channel with no problem.
    8” is it’s max cutting capabilities on width.

19. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Just checked and the Dewalt as Kelly has would cost me US$900 + tax, 50% shipping & handling fees...

20. Al2O3

Yikes. I paid less than half that, about $75 per blade, and got free shipping something like a $100 credit from Amazon when I bought mine. Maybe we here in the states have it good but you might want to shop that price. All in it was less than the horizontal band saw I would have purchased instead and took less space......until I mounted it on the cabinet but at least a got some additional and much needed storage and mobility on wheels for that. $435 here.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW872...8&qid=1515760410&sr=8-1&keywords=dewalt+dw872

Best,
    Kelly