Die grinder?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I am finding that I need some sort of polishing tool that I can use on my larger sculptures. I like the way my bench grinder polishes with a good 8" cotton wheel but I can't lift the grinder and use it to buff my sculptures since it's too heavy.

I'm thinking a 2" dewalt variable speed die grinder will work for that kind of thing? What buffing wheels do you recommend? I think I'd something firm like stitched cotton but am open to suggestions about the right type of buffing material/wheel and even if the die grinder is the correct tool for the job.

What do you think?

2. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I use a DeWalt tool and die grinder with 2" roloc sanding sponges (fine, medium, coarse).

If you have a lot of surface area, you should probably consider a large disc.

Note that disks have an rpm rating on them, and I think the 2" disks are rated for the speed of the tool and die grinder, but the larger diameter disks are not?
    Check me on that because you don't want to over-rpm a disk and have it explode.

I use to use emory cloth, and it took a long time to clean up the machining marks/lines from a piece.
    With the tool and die grinder and the sponges, I can clean up a piece very quickly with a fraction of the effort.
    Sometimes I mount the piece in the lathe (if it is round), and use the sanding sponges on it while it revolves.

They also make sanding disks (ie: sandpaper), flat disks, buffing disks, etc.
    You can remove a lot of material with the sandpaper disks, and they are available in various grits, and then finish off with the sanding sponges.

Again pay close attention to the rpm rating of each type of disk, especially if you use a tool and die grinder.
    The DeWalt runs at 25,000 rpm, and you will need to keep a firm grip on it, since it has a lot of power.

DeWalt-DWE4887-Die-Grinder.jpg

s-l16006.jpg

s-l16007.jpg

3. OMM

OMM Silver

I do a lot of grinding and polishing. I personally like using pneumatic tools. The Scotch-Brite really brings up a polish fast. I prefer like the metal thread on backing over the plastic. But I have both type holders. For finer polishing you can use felt bobs. But I don’t personally like using large diameter felt bobs at 23,000 RPM. The 90° die grinder is my go to as I feel I have more control.

1005B3A6-C3BB-4C9D-8B37-4ABB4DB0060D.jpeg

Both my die grinders are made by Ingersoll rand. For fine detail work I have a pneumatic pencil grinder and a Dremel electric pencil grinder.

For really fine work, I just use hand stones.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Jason likes this.
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

That dewalt is a nice tool. Too bad it's not variable speed. That's one benefit to an air driven die grinder. I've got a horrible freight POS taking up space in my box. I really need to throw that thing out. It has zero torque for some reason.:rolleyes:

If ya want to control the speed, ya gotta dig a lot deeper.:rolleyes: https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-DG355L...t=&hvlocphy=1026758&hvtargid=pla-493842303821

This has lousy reviews but might be worth a try. CHEAP!
    https://www.ebay.com/i/264349251284...MIr9_vpvqD5AIVEvDACh2S7Q_zEAkYEiABEgIaePD_BwE

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

The 2 inch dewalt is variable.

I'm looking at an electric die grinder because I may not be able to use my compressor if I'm working at the apartment. And speed control is nice which air grinders don't provide.

Felt buffing wheels. Hmm. They may work for small detailed areas but what about a larger flat area like the octopus or bird? The 2 inch buffing wheels? Are there other buffing wheel options? Or are felts the way to go?

The wheels didn't work well in the drill, I think they need to be run at a faster rpm to keep them puffed out. They just collapsed and didn't really polish well.

*edit*
    I was browsing the internet and I think something like a cotton cone buff would work?
    Any experience with it? Screenshot_20190815-071035_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  6. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

unless you have a serious compressor use electric tools . I have one similar to this https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=electric die grinder very old so I assume HF has replaced it with something disposable , for the Work you are doing I use flap wheels in several different grits 60 90 120 400 I then go to hand work with Barkeepers friend, first with a stainless brush then with a nylon brush finally with Neverdull, I have used the Buffs pictured above with mixed results unitied wheels have gotten me out of some tight situations, but they are pricey
    You might consider contacting https://www.caswellplating.com/buffing-polishing.html, and talking to them for recommendations, I get most of my supplies and best advice from them

V/r HT1

P.S. take a look at these I https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/search/?Ntt=exl+unitized I have some of the wheels if your interested message me, I'll send you a couple to try out. I dont care for them, but I think the Fine I got was not what I needed should have gotten Med, I might be running them too Fast also

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  7. Jason

Jason Gold

Which model zap? I'd like to see a corded variable dewalt. Only one I found was battery operated.
    PATS photo looks like the 1.5". The 2" usually has a trigger. These things get heavy awfully fast. 3lbs may not sound like a lot, but it is.

Brother in law gave me this die grinder.
    I'm going to dump it on fleabay. It sucks to use, its heavy and gets hot. 22000 rpm single speed. I did more damage than good with it.

like my toes?:p
    20190815_135306.jpg