DIY press flask ramming setup

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by thomas o'brien, Jan 26, 2021.

1. has anyone built a flask ramming setup so i can avoid having to hand pack the sand on the molds I am working with?

most of my patterns are solid metal so they can take some pretty high compression forces. was hoping i could add facing sand, then a bit more and hand tamp that so nothing shifts around then dump a bunch more sand in then put that in some kind of press and squish it. my shoulders and back are wrecked from ramming up sand molds the last few weeks.

Billy Elmore and dennis like this.
  2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

If you've ever seen a commercial press or jolt squeeze, it's a fair task for a piece of home shop equipment. How large are your flasks? A tracking mechanism that keeps the flask square when dropped from height might approximate a crude jolt squeeze if your flasks and patterns can tack it. A compromise might be a pneumatic powered ramming tool if you can find one. They come up now and then on eBay but can be price.

Best,
    Kelly

Tobho Mott likes this.
  3. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

FWIW a pneumatic rammer made out of a cheap air chisel is described on page 36 of the Foundry Tutorial e-book (See sticky thread in the furnace building subforum)... It would have a much shorter stroke than a real air rammer so I guess you'd have to handle it a little differently, but we're talking about upgrading from hand ramming here, not downgrading from using a real power rammer. Anon said it worked well for him. I actually bought one at Princess Auto on sale a couple years ago thinking to try it but I haven't gotten around to welding the piece of plate onto one of the bits yet.

Jeff

4. rocco

rocco Silver

I vaguely remember someone on AA making a pneumatic rammer out of a needle scaler, the straight handle on those might be more comfortable than the pistol grip in an air hammer.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  5. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

6. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Get a hand tamper for compacting soil and such from home depo. They're cheap and you can stand up while you tamp the molds on the shop floor.

John Homer likes this.
  7. my flasks are generally fairly small (my back hurts and i dont have a lift system for huge sand molds), I didnt realize there were a bunch of pneumatic sand rammers for sale in the 100$ range.

DavidF I dont want to work off the floor may as well just stand on the flask and pack it with my bare feet at that point.
    :)

kind of crazy there is nothing out there between the super budget 100$ rammers (that seem to all have 1 star reviews) and the 700$ options.

has anyone tried one of the thera gun type massagers?

8. rocco

rocco Silver

9. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

actual sand rammers use more air then most of us have 10-12 SCFM ( I own a Pneumatic rammer and cant use it )
    the needle scaler and air chisel ideas, both work very poorly , you need the longer stroke of an actual sand rammer

V/r HT1

John Homer and dennis like this.
  10. dennis

dennis Silver

Thought so. I've wondered about those cheap rammers, thinking upgrading/repair/modification might be possible...

11. rocco

rocco Silver

FWIW, I have a cheap PA/HF style air hammer and a friend of mine has a similar looking but professional grade air hammer, I've used both and his is orders of magnitude better than mine, it hits harder and at the same time it's much more controllable.

12. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

I usually empty all 130 lbs of sand from my bin in a casting session. What wears me out more than pounding is riddling. I warm the PB and it has to be forced through the riddle. There are always little pin head size pieces of aluminum that gouge my finger tips. Building a power riddle has been on my mind for a while. So far I haven't come up with a design I feel will work. The wheels keep turning.

John Homer likes this.
  13. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Those nasty little bit of metal in the sand are why I wear garden gloves when molding. I rub the sand through a rectangular riddle that I set on the flask. Then I load it with sand and use my gloved hand to scrub the sand through the riddle. I can riddle 5 to ten times the sand per minute that way. I virtually never shake the riddle. A power riddle might be handy.

Denis

14. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

John Homer likes this.
  15. i hear that... i generally take a handful of sand, face it and then dump in whatever is inthe bin. I can really only do this after i got my mulling machine.

I try to never put more than 2 cups in the riddle at a time now (its amazing how the weight of that just adds up for 6-8 hours of casting.

16. thanks, had no idea. I have a massive air compressor in the shop now (I think its got an 80 gallon tank) so should be ok on that front. i might just try one on the cheap amazon ones for now and see if it will work. my flasks are generally pretty small since i use the 3kg electric furnaces in the winter so limited by part size and crucible size.

17. the mesh back rubberized harbor freight gloves are really great for petrobond (you really dont want to be touching that sand with bare hands) the HF gloves are only about 2$ a pair now. saves you from the razor cuts from raw castings as well.

18. Jason

Jason Gold

What are you casting in such numbers that would need one of these anyways?
    Instead of making a jolt squeeze, have you tried watching bidspotter? With manufacturing still being shipped overseas and the never ending assault on American businesses, I bet one of these pops up from time to time dirt cheap! Moving it might be another story. https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us

I think the Jet hand rammer looks like the way to go for a home gamer. Lots of options out there

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Jet-JCT-1600-Benchtop-Sand-Rammer-550600/306095231

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JET-0-Sand...956822?hash=item1a9cfcb516:g:4IkAAOSwh8NbSPXU

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JET-00T-mo...698856&hash=item549360b000:g:sRsAAOSwavRf90rw

https://www.ebay.com/itm/D3-Air-Pne...4aafb77955d8b72a4849|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Earth-Sand...293647?hash=item3fd11d3bcf:g:yu8AAOSwvXNeXPQc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/D9-Pneumat...729661?hash=item3d82c194bd:g:C3YAAOSwK~td3jw4

19. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

if you are going to get a rammer, and you are working with small molds get the smallest you can find,

Look closely at the one listed Below the air consumption is 14CFM that is a lot of air , make sure your compressor can keep up or you will have an expensive noise maker

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200872778_200872778?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Construction > Demolition Tools&utm_campaign=Jet&utm_content=106013&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3smABhCjARIsAKtrg6Is690cKyfW9c8989rixR4G5aLurb-Um2htjGviEa7PVZWecSSp-5caAiKxEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

V/r HT1

P.S. the D3 rammers linked By Jason would be best , if your compressor can keep up, buit I dont know how to do the air use conversions between metric and Psi so, do your due dilligence

20. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

If you search "Pneumatic Rammer" on eBay you will get a bunch of hits in the $100 range. Here's one. It says air consumption of 10l/sec at .63MPa. There's 28.3l/ft3. So that's about about 21 scfm at 91psi supply pressure.

D3 Pneumatic Tamping Machine 320-420mm Earth Sand Rammer Tamper Hammer Sander US | eBay

I cant speak for the lower cost ones compared to Jet or others. Pretty typical that you trade cost for air consumption/efficiency.

Best,
    Kelly

HT1 likes this.