Do I need a propane regulator at all?

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Zapins, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

The thought occured to me that I can just buy a POL adapter to connect to a bbq tank, plug it into a needle valve for fine control and then connect it directly to my burner with a hose. Is there some reason I need a regulator in the line? Do they serve any kind of safety function? Or are they mostly for customer convenience by reducing the max tank pressure to some desired range?

2. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I can't say exactly why, but I can say I think no regulator would be extremely unwise.

Edit:
    We don't want to be reading about you in the news.......about that massive crater that suddenly appeared where your house use to be.......you get the idea......

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  3. Rasper

Rasper Silver

A regulator maintains a steady gas pressure at your burner: (somewhat steady in the case of cheap regulators). The pressure of an unregulated gas flow decreases as the tank empties and requires constant attention in the case of long burn-outs of investments. I like to set it and go to sleep all night. You can't do that without a regulator.

My workers in my shipyard used to use unregulated paint burners on small propane tanks for years with no problems, but they were there to regulate the gas pressure manually.

Richard

4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I have to regulate the pressure manually when I burn out using my current regulator. I use hot water baths to heat up the tanks so they put out 80+ psi. The issue is they stopped making the regulator I use and equivalent ones are much more expensive. Why use one when I don't want to reduce the pressure?

So it sounds like it might be possible? Safety is of course on my mind as a priority! I don't want to become fertilizer for the local forest.

5. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I will be watching the newscast.......and will be looking for the flash.......I think it will be visible from here.

6. The forest needs fertilizer.:D That being said, as long as everything in your system is good for 250 psi (rated 350 or higher) you should be good with no regulator. And this includes everything. If you have a poorly threaded nipple you forced into a coupling to get it to seal you may find the coupling splits open with some internal pressure.:eek: 250 is about as high as propane will get in a tank unless you're artificially heating it above 130F. A regulator is nothing more than an automatic valve and it does not shutoff in an emergency. I'd have a ball valve near the tank so you can grab it as you fly by and another ball valve near your valve you use to control so you have a handy place to shut the fuel off.

Very imaginative thinking. Don't tell your propane supplier or your insurance company what you are planning.

7. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Not to be all doom and gloom, but be sure you have a will made out, and store it in a remote location.
    I say this half in jest, and half in seriousness.

8. Excellent advice to follow before using propane without a regulator. Or driving on the freeway. Or winking at a married woman.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

10. PatJ

PatJ Silver

For those who may be reading this thread out there, who may get the bright idea that they want to try this too, I can only say the following:

I am going on record as saying emphatically "Its a bad idea, a very very bad idea".
    And I am sure there is someone on y-tube who has a rig like that (no regulator) and are probably touting its ease of use and safety, but there is a whole lot on y-tube that you should never do/try.

I personally do some extremely risky stuff associated with the type of work I do, so I am not adverse to taking risk, but I take calculated risks; I know what my odds are, and I don't do reckless and foolish things.
    The risks associated with something like this are far beyond what I would expect any reasonable person would find acceptable.

You choice, but remember, I told you so.

Edit:
    This topic was discussed in an old thread on AA, and Anon mentions that a hose rupture without a regulator can lead to a BLEVE.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_liquid_expanding_vapor_explosion
    It it really worth considering a setup that can lead to a BLEVE?
    Be safe. Always err on the side of safety.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    joe yard likes this.
  11. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

you need a regulator
    here is a link with very good prices, pay attention though, the site is a little confusing , make sure you use the correct pull downs for hose link pressure range and connections
    http://www.hightemptools.com/propaneregulators.html

V/r HT1