Eagle Statue - Zapins

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Zapins, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Borax for tig welding bronze? NOPE. Straight filler wire is all ya need. The stuff welds like butter.
    Remember this?
    20160719_134014-1.jpg

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

K good borax sucks to clean off bronze. I bought 2 different types of filler rod to see which one is closer in color to the original. Will test it probably tomorrow after I can't the bird of it goes well. I'm going to start the burnout process soon. Wish me luck guys I'm going to need it.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah I hate borax too. Cut a sprue and weld it up. Sand it back and buff to a high shine. You'll see it if it doesn't match. Good luck with the bird, sacrifice a chicken at the alter of the furnace and you'll be fine! 2 different filler wires?????? I hope one of them doesn't have a zn in the make-up. If it does, FILM THAT the first time you light up on that nasty shit. LMAO POW! POP!
    I made that mistake.... Cost me 30bucks. Anyone need some zinc bronze tig filler rod?

test4.jpeg

test6.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Burned out the 3 other molds. The eagle feet and wood have an ominous rattle inside the shell. I am not quite sure what broke or if it will show. But I have a feeling the slurry might not have made it all the way to the tip of the branch inside so it may have broken internally which probably won't show at the surface. The fragments of shell will float but I can probably grind them out and repair it. The pieces are too big to shake out.

The eagle burned out and has some cracking here and there. Surprisingly the cracks developed from being in direct sunlight for too long while I was setting up the name shift burnout rack. It is cooling down now so I don't know if there is broken shell inside.

I tempered the new 16 bilge crucible just now and will need to get more propane so I have enough to do the 50 pound pours. I'm gonna get a large bin from home of the depots and bury the molds in sand for the pour. I have the 3 shells in the kiln at 1200F now in a holding pattern until I get back with propane and repair the eagle shell. Then I'll get on with the pour. Until then here's a few pics of the carnage so far.

20180616_181641.jpg 20180616_181602.jpg

5. Jason

Jason Gold

FULL SPEED AHEAD!
    Video it will ya????

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yea I will. I am having trouble finding help to lift the crucible. Assuming I find someone to help I'll film

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Offer the guy that pushes carts at the depot a 6pack of beer.

8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Hmm. I checked the bird shell there is a good bit of rattling in that shell too. But I don't see visual damage inside or outside other than a few cracks so I don't know what or where the rattling broke off from.

U managed to get cousins/uncle to come and help pour in about 2 hrs from now. I hope that's enough time to melt 50 lbs of bronze. Gotta start the melt so its ready in time.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

Hit the live feed button on your YT channel from your phone.

10. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Live feed hmm I'll see if I can find it.

11. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Cool I found it I'll give it a try but the internet is spotty from the garage. May cut out.

I've got about 45 mins until I pour it all goes well. The metal is melted I think and shells are patched and heating up to 1000 f.

I'll let you guys know with a post before I pour

Kufunklefec is my YouTube name. Do a YouTube search for me.

12. Zapins

Zapins Gold

About 10 mins out from pour

13. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Hmm I think the app crashed maybe low battery did it in. I started filming at 40 % battery.

14. Jason

Jason Gold

It's all good zap. Good times.

15. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I don't think yotube saved the livestream? Any idea?

16. Jason

Jason Gold

Sorry.. no clue. I though it did automatically.

17. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Hmm. I thought so too but I don't see it in my videos now. Maybe I will stream wax working in the future. Maybe work on the chicken, I mean duck, on the live stream? Since I can't cast for another 6 months or so probably.

Luckily I had a second camera filming the pour so I'll edit that video and put it up on YouTube later.

18. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Hey it did save automatically. I guess it just needed a few hours to process and then it appeared in my videos.

I'll post it here for those who missed it. Really nothing special but hey fast forward through to the good bits.

19. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Too bad about the one that didn't come out! That was fun though, I normally don't watch live streaming or get tired of them and wander away, but this was pretty cool.

I was out pouring bronze too in my new sand when it started, suffice it to say you're not the only one who had some problems casting bronze tonight... I'll post about it in the muller thread once I get some pix together since it was mainly a test of the new sand anyhow.

I came in just as you were showing your aquarium and you were filling up a bucket with water, and for a moment I thought that was the "pour", lol.

Jeff

20. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Ha yeah that would be a boring cast. " watch me change fish water"

I'll move the router next time so it doesn't drop frames.