essential foundry tools...

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Barry Booth, Jul 1, 2020 at 1:29 AM.

1. Barry Booth

Barry Booth Copper

These are the essential foundry tools I made plus steel flasks, am I missing anything guys that you find essential to have? Please advise and let me know...

Attached Files:

2. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Ram, sprue cutter, wire for adding vents, parting powder bag, ingot mould to deal with excess melt, trowel, straight edge for striking off.

PPE - Gloves, face mask, leather apron...
    Mark

3. Barry Booth

Barry Booth Copper

Thank you Ram, I have almost all of what you listed but didn't add to my list because I felt they were a given. Your list is very complete and very much appreciated by me! Next time I'll go into more detail when I post a question. Kind regards Ram...Barry.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 11:41 AM
  4. Petee716

Petee716 Silver Banner Member

Nice lift/pour tools. They look factory made. I saw your burners in the other thread. It looks like you've been busy. I might have missed it from your intro, what metals are you interested in pouring and what kinds of projects? Art, automotive, machining, tools to make more tools? I'm a tinkerer so I play with all of it. I see from your response above you're a sand guy. Many of us are but there a number of folks using wax and PLA as well.
    Edit: Ah, I see your furnace thread now.

Pete

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 4:52 AM
  5. Barry Booth

Barry Booth Copper

Hello Pete, thank you for your kind words! As to your question, I'm primarily interested in cast iron and bronze for model locomotive and machine tool building. I have a pretty complete home machine shop, lathe, drill press, horizontal mill, shapers, band saw so I'm able to do just about anything to finish the castings.

Haven't gotten into lost wax or PLA but plan to, very interesting tech and has many advantages. I've actually built a 3D printer which is almost finished but I'm having a hard time with programming which I suck at but I'll eventually get there in a hundred years or so ha

Attached Files:

6. HT1

HT1 Silver

yah need a skimmer

7. Barry Booth

Barry Booth Copper

I do have one HT1 along with this SST plunger for degassing which I just made and haven't used yet. Thank you anyway for the suggestion!
    upload_2020-7-1_16-27-34.png

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 1:49 PM
  8. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Charging tongs to pick up you scrap and put it in the crucible when hot.

9. Barry Booth

Barry Booth Copper

Rotarysmp, I do have a pair of tongs I made. Thank you for the suggestion tho!

Attached Files:

10. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Nice. I need to make some too, as I use some channel lock pliers, which are too short, and I keep overheating leather gloves.

11. Barry Booth

Barry Booth Copper

It does get toasty at times ha ha but the long tongs really help. Thank you for the compliment! Barry.