Experiences with Aliexpress...?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by J.Vibert, Mar 2, 2018.

1. chris.trotter

chris.trotter Copper

Watching with interest. Want to add DRO to my mini mill using similar stuff, via aliexpress. :) I was going to do the TouchDRO route, though.

2. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

I've had the DRO in hand for a little while now Chris. The boxes it came in sit open beside where I'm working on the muller. Although I really want to install it like now, and could have benefited from it at least once already. I made a promise to myself to complete the muller first.

The only real thoughts I can convey thus far, is that the display is a tad large in comparison to the little Rockwell. Not that that is any sort of negative toward the DRO . However it could very well be a bit smaller and I can say with all certainty that there's a good amount of air within the unit...lol. Now when I say large, it's no bigger than any other modern DRO display that I've seen and I have seen in person a large number of DROs of various configs.

I will post a functionality review if you wish. Repeat ability and what not if you like. Can't say when that will happen though.

3. chris.trotter

chris.trotter Copper

So I placed my order for the Shahe scales on Saturday afternoon (brand new Aliexpress account), and I just got confirmation they shipped it last night. Unfortunately Shahe's new scales aren't compatible with TouchDRO (yet), so it'll be a while until I get a full DRO - at least now I can have a slop-less measuring experience. I chatted with Yuriy (TouchDRO guy) and he said he's just waiting on a couple of these new scales to arrive for testing, and then a new board will be developed.

Given the cost of these scales, if they are even half-decent for the mill, I'll probably get a pair for the lathe, too.

Sooooo my experience with Aliexpress so far is pretty positive. I'll update once they arrive.

4. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Ya, I still haven't looked at installing mine, so I still can't comment on the repeatability of the scales, which really is the whole point. I haven't seen a negative review in this regard so I'm expecting to be very content. If and when I finally do get it installed...lol

The scales could probably be plugged into anything that flexible in regards to port configuration and programming. I do have a industrial HMI that I had thought about using with just a scale purchase. ...but then I'd have to develop screens, the programming behind the scenes, and all the other stuff to provide the functionality I would want, like bolt hole circle calculations. Just not worth it imo

5. chris.trotter

chris.trotter Copper

Did you look at the TouchDRO project? I'm not a machinist, but seems to be pretty popular with the hobby guys.

Repeatability I've seen hit/miss, but even if it's only "okay", it's several orders of magnitude better than me figuring out how many graduations to turn, plus deal with slop, plus have to keep track on a piece of paper. lol. The glass scales I have yet to see a bad review on (I mean, given the price point).

6. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Yes I do recall reading something about the "TouchDRO" approach. However once I decided not to bother recreating the wheel with my own hardware, I focused on finding a complete package. The DRO package I ended up with has everything I was accustomed to with the mill I learned on. I'm probably missing some expandability that the "TouchDRO" or an another open source approach could provide. I have too many projects...lol

I would love to hear how you enjoy your end result when it's up and running.

7. chris.trotter

chris.trotter Copper

This is, thankfully, a mostly complete solution, just 3 pieces - tablet, interface, scales. I liked their approach because you're not hosed if the DRO button module dies. Just replace the tablet and move on. The interface module also is a North American thing.

We'll see!

8. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Ya but what happens if your mill gets hit by lightening and your lawn get infested with grubs...? I'm being an ass...lol. ...Sorry I just get a kick out of unlikely justifications.

You did however make me look for the replacement cost of my DRO display. $75usd + $25usd shipping. Not sure a tablet with the same display size could be had for that money. I wouldn't be surprised though. I will say that in my ~7yrs of using the DRO on the mill at my former employer's, I when through about 3 smart phones (touchscreen failures. ..and not from drops :p).

9. chris.trotter

chris.trotter Copper

The perils of working in the software industry. But what if this happens? Or that!? Or heaven forbid this!!! It is rather silly how we justify some things. If I'm being honest, I preferred the look of TouchDRO over the 'standard', and since it's been 15 years since I used a machine with DRO, I had no real experience with 'standard' to move that way.

You can get tablets quite cheaply on Kijiji and whatnot. I mean, not new or anything. :) Found several that would work for ~$50CAD. However, the entry price of TouchDRO is $122CAD (shipped), plus the $145 (shipped) for the scales, means that we're still up around $320 once all is said and done.

10. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Your ~$320 .vs. my $350... Par for the course I suppose.

..again, for me, I just wanted a bolt on and plug in solution. Not how involved the TouchDRO solution is, but I'm looking forward to your play by play of the set up.