FFA (Future Founders of America) Project

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Melterskelter, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I had some fun today working with two 9-year-old girls and their mom showing them what sand casting aluminum looks like.

THe last name is Ross. So, I had them draw a block letter "R" and then we cut it out and used it as a stencil to transfer its outline via talc to the drag of a simple cope and drag. Then they (and I helped) carve the outline into three dimensions in petro. Then I showed them how to carve the pouring basin, cut a sprue, runners, and gate. After that we melted some aluminum and poured it. It worked out well. They were jumping up and down when we pulled it out of the smoking sand. Good times! The one little girl is particularly interested in foundry work. I don't quite understand why.

Denis

R.JPG R2.JPG R3.JPG R4.JPG

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    vincent, Tobho Mott, dtsh and 2 others like this.
  2. rocco

rocco Silver

That is so cool! You're a lucky guy to be able to share your skills with the next generation and they're lucky to have you, you've opened their eyes, whether they take things any further or not, they'll never look at a piece of metal the same way again. And props to the mom too, a lot of helicopter parents these days wouldn't let their kids get anywhere close to a hobby foundry.

3. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Well done sir, most people look at me blankly if I mention metal casting and change the subject (Though that could be my natural abilty to get technical and boring quickly)

vincent likes this.
  4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Funny, I get the same look when people talk about golf.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

So hot metal is really cool! (or whatever word for a 9 year-old is in these days). It's great they were interested and you were able to involve them. Well done MS.

Best,
    Kelly

6. It's a great experience.

I find children like cutting their names out of thin foam (1/4" or so) then I glue up and coat the patterns. After lunch we can pour the patterns. I've not had a disinterested kid yet. Hopefully some will engage in some type of creative career in the future.

It is the best time in the foundry. Their eyes open wide when they find they can actually make something "useful". They all have their ideas. I don't like the term "maker" but I guess it's with us, most kids use it.

Melterskelter likes this.
  7. Melterskelter

I was originally going to just purchase a plastic block letter 3 or 4 inches high like the magnetic ones used by kids on refrigerators. That plan fell through as I ran out of time to purchase one. But the idea of the kids themselves doing the drawing of the paper template and then carving out the sand seemed to be a better way for them to be hands-on involved. I am glad I had to use the carved sand approach. I like the idea of cutting out the name from foam too. Seems like the more they themselves do, the more they take interest in the process and the more pride they feel afterward.

Denis

8. I know nothing of the history of founding. They were dumb because they didn't have computers. Took them a long time to figure it out. We think we can improve on what they did on our first try.:(

Nonetheless, in my daydreams the first guys were using rocks around the fire to help contain it and to get closer to cook. Some of the rocks would melt and run down into the dirt. The stuff would get hard when cold and could be used to dig and hit other people and animals with. Some smartass decided to dig a shaped trench in the dirt so you could grab the small end in your hand and have a big end to kill things with. Maybe even throw it.

The first casting, done with naturally occurring ore such as tin bearing copper rocks, likely was done just as you had the girls do: dig the shape you want then get hot metal into it. Very classy lesson you gave them.

9. Petee716

Thomas drew the letters on foam and I cut it with an exacto. After casting and painting he watched me drill and tap 5 holes for 10-24 x 1 1/2 screws for hanging keys. He sees it in use every time he comes over.
    Now that I think of it I think I glued the cutout letters on.

Attached Files:

Tobho Mott and Melterskelter like this.
  10. Melterskelter

Shoulda painted it a bright color!;)

Denis

11. Petee716

If I'd had purple I'd have used it. When I was Thomas' age (well, now he's 11) my dad had a 64 Ford 1 ton pickup with a metallic purple hood and a Mack bulldog on it. I thought that was the coolest color. I still have the bulldog.

12. Melterskelter

I imagine they sell purple at the hardware store... Maybe you could get David to do purple with orange flame!

13. Melterskelter

The mom just sent me this photo. A124BFC6-9623-44AF-A34D-9A930F7FBE39.jpeg
    You can see the talc outline of the reversed R.
    FF394498-CC01-443E-8B2F-49C5B4070CDA.jpeg 8F5BDEE4-9892-421E-BD9F-8CB59F42AF53.jpeg

Denis

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Clay, oldironfarmer and Tobho Mott like this.