First LF Castings

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by cojo98v6, Dec 2, 2018.

1. cojo98v6

cojo98v6 Copper

I got a chance to try out the new furnace yesterday in between the rain showers and do my first LF castings. I owe a big thanks to Kelly as I followed all his post very closely and applied this knowledge towards my patterns/castings.

I used the pink Foamular 150 and some of the blue stuff I had on hand from other previous projects. One of my many other hobbies is electric R/C planes, so I'm quite familiar with working with foam, so it did help with doing this as well.

So from seeing the many patterns Kelly made using the over arm pin router, I decided to make a larger router table for foam pattern making and my many wood working project. My plan was to add a pin guide to the top to basically do the same. I first tried to make the parts out of red oak, but they still flexed more than I liked, so I figured this would be a good LF project and make them out of aluminum.

From my first inspection they turn out great with one exception, I had a small shrinkage on one part, but I'll clean that up and fill in with some weld.

I used spray contact glue for most of the joining and some hot glue for the rest. Melted paraffin wax for fillets. The drywall mud I used I was not too impressed with, I purchased a bag of mix with water from the local big chain hardware store. It seemed to not hold up perfectly in some areas as the aluminum pushed through. I think I'll look into the premixed stuff for my next attempt. I really thumped the sides of the buckets to try and pack the sand in good, but maybe I did not get it that good and contributed to it too. Will have to experiment a bit more.

IMG_1301.JPG
    IMG_1320.JPG
    IMG_1325.JPG
    IMG_1324.JPG
    This pattern is for experiment/testing for shrinkage. I will have a much more complex/complicated pattern/casting coming up later down the road. I need to finish the pin router to make the other patterns.

IMG_1340.JPG
    IMG_1341.JPG
    IMG_1343.JPG
    IMG_1366.JPG
    Packed in sand, had a bit of over spill on the first one.

IMG_1371.JPG
    IMG_1372.JPG
    IMG_1375.JPG
    Had a small blow out on the top of the runner, this was completely my fault and was an over site. I did not have near enough sand packed on top to keep weight on it. I was very up set when I saw the aluminum flow up. However after pulling it out of the sand I looks to have cast just fine, yay!
    IMG_1377.JPG
    IMG_1379.JPG
    IMG_1383.JPG
    Circled in red is the spot that had a bit of shrinkage.

There was a nice breeze, so the smoke/smell was not too bad, the neighbor next door might not agree with me, but I don't like him anyway, lol.

Over all very happy with the results and just cant get over how you get such a good part using insulation foam, drywall mud and loose sand. This is going to be very addictive!!

Tobho Mott likes this.
  2. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I am surprised at the results people get with the lost foam castings.
    If someone would have asked me a few years ago if this could produce a quality part, I would have said "No Way".
    It seems they use this in the automotive industry for casting engine blocks too, so obviously the method is very useful.

3. cojo98v6

cojo98v6 Copper

If for not seeing it first, I would have said the same thing. I was just like wow, this works so easy, now I know why people love it.
    I had found some videos on youtube where a company was using LF for casting the blocks and heads. They had one hell of a air collections system for capturing all that nasty burn off.

4. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I'm sure you'll be happy with that addition. -They are very useful and fast.

Might be a shrink. Can't really tell for sure from the picture but also might have just been movement in the mold media. Amazing thing for me, I don't think I've had a single shrink defect in my LF casting and certainly deserved it with some of the thicker sectioned parts. Not to say I haven't had other defects like folds.

If you are going to do much LF, you really need to get yourself a vibrator with enough punch to shake 50lbs of sand in a 5 gallon bucket. Good vibration just makes for much more effective mold packing and it's effortless. I don't know how much compressed air you have at your disposal but those turbine vibrators are very effective. I made a bucket dolly with one attached to the bottom, that way you can load multiple buckets on and off and also use it with a screen to sift sand. There's a post describing it in this subforum. That rig was good enough for 90%+ of the parts I make. If you don't have enough compressed air maybe just a small motor with an eccentric mounted on it.....or strap a strong vibrating sander to the side.

What contact cement did you use? There are some specifically intended for foam. The solvent in most of them will attack foam, but you can get by if you apply very sparingly. About any adhesive will load up cutting bits and abrasives.

Yah, the premixed non-setting stuff is much better. Thin it just to the point it starts to be pourable. You can store it indefinitely in a capped jar or quart container.

Nicely done Cojo. Very good results. You're right.....very addictive and very useful.

Ya-know, that one experimental casting looks suspiciously like a spacer for a Ford 5.0 EFI intake manifold.....

Best,
    Kelly

5. cojo98v6

cojo98v6 Copper

This will have to be added to my project build list. I do have a good air supply, but I like the idea of the eccentric mounted ones, I actually looked into something like this years ago to use as a vibratory tumbler type polisher. This way I can kill two birds on stone.

I used Loctite multipurpose, the key is to spray at a good distance and let it cure for it bit. The propellant is what really attacks the foam. I did not do any cutting or router after gluing, I remembered your advice in your other post that it did not work so well.

Next time I'm at the store I'll pick some up, I did just look online and they have a lightweight and a general purpose type, which one do you use?

Thanks Kelly.

Your suspicion would be very close, this actually going to be for a 351W which is in my brother-in-laws '93 Lightening. To my knowledge it was used on the 5.0 equipped with the GT40 intakes, not sure all vehicles that had them, but I know the '93 Cobra did. I'm a lot more knowledgeable on the modular Ford engines. This part will be for a complete upper manifold. The stock GT40 (welded version) just did not have enough plenum volume when he had it dynode, it has been stroked to 408cid, with Edelbrock aluminum heads and large cam. Years ago I made a part cast and sheet metal intake that increased the volume and gave it a noticeable improvement, posted over on AA. Now with the possibilities with LF I'd like to make a more stock appearance one with larger plenum and shorter runners than stock. The stock intake is too prized to cut up and weld.

6. Al2O3

I'll look tonight and let you know.

I meant to ask what your first impressions were of pouring. When the molten metal first hits the foam, there is flame and some black smoke. Then your pouring well fills and then there is a hesitation before the mold starts taking metal again....did you notice that hesitation? Sometimes it can take you off guard and if you aren't ready it can drain he metal from the pouring well before you start pouring again.

That experience you had with the run out, then thinking the part didn't fill only to discover it did is also a common occurrence for lost foam casters. Tobho Mott has commented that he has had pours thought to be misruns but turned out fine. -Me too.

Best,
    Kelly

7. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

The thing with the pouring cup filling up as if to trick you into stopping pouring, then suddenly starting to drain out really fast? Definitely a familiar lost foam story!

Jeff

8. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Very nice Cojo.
    The only thing I'll add is that I test the sand by punching in with straight fingers. When the sand is first placed you can stick to a certain depth. With successful compaction penetration may be only to the first knuckle. It's a feel that is easily developed and help with sub surface blowouts. Sometimes I get the sprue runout even with a soup can Kush head, but as mentioned, there is usually a nice casting below it.

9. cojo98v6

cojo98v6 Copper

I've watched several videos, yours and some on youtube, so I was ready for the flame and smoke bursting out, but was still a bit worried how it was going to go for my first attempt. Yeah, that took me a bit by surprise when it suddenly dropped. I always slow my pour towards the end so that I can pour the most while the casting is starting to cool/settle, so I had no problem there luckily. My first thought when this happened was I just had a blowout somewhere, dang it. When I pulled the casting out I was OK, that was strange as it looked good.

I was very happy to see what I thought was a failed casting turn out OK. Definitely learning more on this LF after finally attempting it.

I'll be prepared for my next attempt and wont freak out, lol.

Thanks. I'll have to give this a try next time I do a LF pour.

10. Al2O3

Here it is.

Mud.JPG

That bucket is over 15 years old and was half full for that whole time so it's definitely got some shelf life...Lol. I'm not sure what the filler is in the lightweight stuff. I'd like to tell you there was a scientific reason for the selection but it was really just grab what had been on the shelf all those years. I don't think there is any magic in it but I do think the non-setting stuff is practical since it stores indefinitely and readily air dries. It also seems to lay down on the foam nicely when brushed and thinned to just able to pour.

Best,
    Kelly

11. cojo98v6

cojo98v6 Copper

Thanks Kelly, I checked online and they still make that exact same one, only $14, fairly cheap. Its in stock at the local big chain hardware store, so I'll stop by and get me a bucket. The non setting stuff should work better for sure, the stuff I used I had to keep adding water to stop it setting so fast. When I removed the parts from the sand, most of the mud had come off, so I don't think it really helped like the mud that you use.

That's the one thing I like about this hobby, some of it is trial and error and some of it is just plane luck when something works out perfect.

12. Al2O3

The mud will fall off during demolding. That's normal. I screen the chunks out of the sand before reuse. I also keep a bucket of water near by when I cast, demold the parts hot, and quench them in the water. Besides potentially achieving some temper, when you do that it removes almost 100% of the cooked mud from the casting and what's left readily surrenders to a wire brush.

Best,
    Kelly

13. To make the mud lay down on the foam and wax more uniformly it needs an additive (surfactant) to lower the surface tension. I use a couple of drops of Dawn in a pint of mix.

14. cojo98v6

cojo98v6 Copper

OK, I thought it was mostly sticking to your castings, that's why you submerge them in water. I'd say 80-90% fell off in the sand. I did dip them water also.

I did lightly sand the foam with 320 grit and the mud seamed to stick fairly good. What you said makes sense and I'll give that a try as it cant hurt.

Thanks everyone for your input.

15. cojo98v6

cojo98v6 Copper

Been busy with other things, so I haven't had much time to start cleaning up and machining the castings. However I did wire brush the intake spacer casting to check if I got the shrinkage rate correct. I'm happy to say that I nailed it first try, I was very happy to see that it is 99% spot on, I see no reason to change it. The only thing will be to reduce the outer edge down a bit as I got carried away and added a bit too much. I did try to cut the runners off of the casting, but the junk HF band saw blade snapped at the weld, barely used too and its the second one to do that. So I picked up a good Olson blade tonight, so I'll get them done soon. Here are some pictures of the intake spacer.

IMG_1405.JPG
    IMG_1404.JPG
    gaskets on the bottom

IMG_1408.JPG
    Pattern template verse the gasket
    IMG_1409.JPG

16. Al2O3

Looks good Cojo. Once you have confidence in shrink compensation you'll find yourself being a little more aggressive about placement of pattern features. I use 1.3% or .013"/1" about the geometric center of the part for my aluminum castings. That produces results more accurate than I can lay out with hand measurement. There are some classic shapes that can create problems with directional solidification. Horseshoe shapes can tend to open up upon shrinking etc, but the more symmetric and closed the casting features, the less concern.

What's next? Gonna finish up that CNC router?

Best,
    Kelly

17. cojo98v6

cojo98v6 Copper

Thanks Kelly.
    Yeah, I've been slowly getting more aggressive over the years with my casting experience. I believe the LF will really get me to get aggressive, hence the CNC router, lol. I did kind of side track a bit on it as I've started to build a couple hot wire cutters for the foam. In the mean time I'm purchasing the lead screws and electronics for the router.

Corey.

18. Al2O3

Hotwires are simple to make and a good tool to have in the foam machining arsenal but to be honest, I really only use mine for resizing stock and cutting out blanks for router templates. They work very well for that and help maximize yield from the plank......Wherever I can use a fence or a template to guide the cut. My hand isn't steady enough to get the results I want without.

Like machining most things, it's all about feed and speed of cut. In lost foam, cutting speed is the heat of the wire. Dial that back and you have more control but slower cut. I used it for a while with thin hardboard or sheet metal templates for duplicating profiles but even there I found I preferred the result a guided router bit produced as far as edge quality and accuracy.

It does help minimize dust (that stuff gets everywhere) down and chip clearing when you only cut on one side of the router bit. The latter isn't usually a problem with two flute wood working cutters.....they're designed to clear a large volume chips well as is. If you try a single or double cut carbide burr you'll find you start to melt and smear the foam backing off the speed helps but I use ball or bull nose router bits in the die grinder for hand sculpting. They cut clean. When you hit a glue joint, you'll cuss because it loads up on the bit and then tears everything machined downstream.

Best,
    Kelly

19. cojo98v6

cojo98v6 Copper

That's exactly what I needed to do, resize the stock. Hot wire seamed the way to go. I started making a LF pattern for my supercharger adapter intake, going to try and make it as one piece verse the two piece I did with green sand as I do not need a core with LF to do this. The top part is 1/4" and the foam only goes down to 1/2", so slice it in half with a hot wire should work.

Yes, just cutting the holes in the intake spacer with forstner bit made a huge mess. I have one of those HF dust collectors to use, was going to buy an extra bag for it to separate the foam particles from the saw dust. I have a wood burning furnace and the saw dust is a great starter, I don't want to burn any foam in it.

Haven't done enough LF, so I have not experience cutting any foam that I glued together. I will take your advice and how to deal with it when the time comes. Once I get the CNC router built my plan was to make all the pieces like a puzzle then glue them together to avoid this issue. We'll see how that works once I try it.

I really like the surface finish of the router'd foam, its so smooth verse the more uneven hotwired foam, I have steady hands, but hard to cut it smoothly.

20. Al2O3

Works well. You'll learn to apply glue in a manner that keeps it away from any surface you want to cut or sand. Avoid machining or sanding glancing/feathered glue joints.

...and if you take a couple light swipes with some worn out 220grit cloth abrasive....even better. Surface finish of the pink extruded foam seems to improve up to about 320 grit. Filleting and finishing foam patterns takes some patience and practice but can make for more professional appearing castings.....and oyu can always decide what's fit for purpose.

Best,
    Kelly