Flickr To Start Charging

Discussion in 'Forum suggestions' started by Robert, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Robert

Robert Silver

I was just informed that Flickr will be starting to charge for space as of Jan 2019. I believe the charge will be $50 per year. A lot of people, including myself may stop using the service. The problem is that any threads with images linking to a Flickr URL will no longer show the image unless it has been uploaded to the forum server. Unfortunately that will be a lot of my images. I just wanted to let everyone know and see who else may be in this issue.
    By the way- is there a way to upload images to this server going forward?
    Robert

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2018
  2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Yes, and after the Photobucket debacle this was one of the motivations for David establishing this site. When you post, you should see a button below the dialogue box that says upload. When you select it, you can browse to select pictures. After you upload, you will then have the option to insert the image as a full size image or thumbnail. It will be inserted at the location of the cursor. You wont ever have to worry about hosting pictures for your posts here, and we prefer you do so for that reason.

Best,
    Kelly

3. Robert

Robert Silver

Kelly- Thanks I missed that! I may go back an edit some of my posts to include the upload.
    Robert

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  4. Robert

Robert Silver

776114a3545e649b899d8eeae67aaa32.jpg
    Just a test
    R

DavidF likes this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

VROOOM! I'll never pay these thieves to host my images. Paying dave for THF is a much better value in my mind.

6. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Just chiming in to say that loading images directly to this site is really important. That the "free" hosting sites eventually will demand ransom to see images I think is inevitable. As a member of machining forum, I have seen content of really classic great threads gutted by PB. I would hope that will not be allowed to happen here. If I had things my way, only loading images on the site and not linking to hosting services would be allowed. (I will grant that there may be very good reasons unknown to me why that is not a good idea.)

So, I will join the chorus and just express a plea to folks to load pics here and not use "free" hosting services.

Denis

Jason likes this.
  7. Rasper

Rasper Silver

A similar concern goes for those free e-mail servers. They probably won't start charging you the way Photobucket did. They make so much money selling your data without your knowing what they are selling or to whom, they don't want you going anywhere.

Richard

8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

God damnit not again.

I hate that google removed the link for photos. That was my go to before flickr.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

Safe parking images HERE is why we exist. Do it folks. Screw these 3rd party thieving a-holes.

10. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Would not surprise me if YouTube does the same thing at some point in time.... now that would really suck...

11. I think the engine has cast parts. We need to see more of this.

12. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

What engine?

oldironfarmer likes this.
  13. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I have been having discussions with a buddy of mine to start up a private server.
    Not an easy task with today's security issues, but it seems like at some point it may come to that.
    We could start a private server for casting videos, etc.
    A few years ago this would seem like a radical idea, but in today's world it is starting to seem more reasonable in order to have some semblance of control over what you post/publish.

I have to agree, and this is one of the reasons I started posting here.
    But beyond the image-not-disappearing-thing, have you also noticed that there are no arbitrary maximum image limits here?
    That was the second big issue with the other site. Once you hit the maximum image storage limit, you had no choice but to store images off-site.

And the key point for posting stuff here (as opposed to another site) is that if and when there are issues that come up, it is very simple to PM David, have a discussion with an actual human being, and have the issue resolved often within 30 minutes or less. It does not get any better than to have someone running a site that is responsive to the people who are actually interested in home foundry work, and someone who can modify/expand/change the site to suit the needs of the users.

Edit:
    The single-point-of-ownership is helpful here too, and avoids the problem of having multiple people with sometimes conflicting views trying to run things (the proverbial "too many cooks in the kitchen"). David has been more than reasonable and helpful here on this forum, and that goes a long way to encourage myself and others to post here.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  14. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I'd be more than happy to donate some funds towards paying for server equipment or extra hard drives for storing pics and videos of needed. I'm sure we could raise enough as a group to get something decent setup.

15. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I think we are a ways out from considering a private server at this time (I cannot speak for David, but just offering my opinions).
    I think David has this site on an expandable server, which is very good since the server/capacity/speed can grow as the site grows.

I mention the private server thing as a backup plan, in case y-tube ever gets too onerous to handle, and it would be for videos only.
    I think the existing forum server/hosting service/software used here are good ones, and I don't see putting that on a private server unless somebody wants to spend a lot of time, effort and perhaps money setting up and running/maintaining it.

Edit:
    I do donate to the maintenance of this site because I think it is very good value, and infinitely easier than trying to do something like this.

16. Rasper

Rasper Silver

Why worry about operating a private server? I rent web hosting space on a reliable server for six dollars a month. I don't use it for my web site, only for photo storage. I'm not sure how much space I have there, but it's a lot. Six dollars is nothing. You leave that much as a tip when you pick up the lunch tab for four of your friends.

Richard

17. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That's fine for hosting your own pictures. But if your doing it for a community and storing videos, having your own server may be a good idea. I'm not certain if I would want to go that route though. THF is running on a vps that's easily expandable when we out grow our current space, and it only takes a mouse click to do it :cool:

18. Robert

Robert Silver

I just finished downloading all my photos since 2002. Including that one of my ex by my old bike. Took forever. Good thing flash drives are large and cheap now.
    R

19. Jason

Jason Gold

Richard the problem is when some day you kick the bucket on us, POOF goes all your hard work and photos when the bill doesn't get paid.