Foredom?

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Zapins, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I'm trying to weigh up a few different options here, your experiences/preferences with your foredoms would be helpful.

The foredom site says:

1) "Series SR flex shaft motors are 1/6 HP, run in forward and reverse at speeds up to 18,000 RPM, and offer all of the power and speed needed to accomplish most every job."

2) "Series TX motors are 1/3HP and their extra power/torque at speeds up to 15,000 RPM make them great for more demanding work like hogging out large quantities of wood or porting engines"

I'm thinking the 1/3 HP version would be great for chasing large sculptures, but I'm not sure if the drop in RPM to 15000 is worth it. I'm a little concerned in general about the RPM since the dremel's RPM speed is much higher and I frequently used carbide bits on max speed.

I also think I'd prefer a desk top speed control rather than a foot pedal since I have never needed to vary the speed real time while grinding anything. Seems like an unnecessary doohickey / bell / whistle to add to the device?

Second set of thoughts is what about the hand pieces? The standard size seems large and uncomfortable to hold.

The H.28 slim collet style seems close to the dremel handpiece I use so maybe that would be a decent one to start with for fine detailed work?
    [​IMG]

The standard H.30 chuck style seems like it would prevent bits from escaping during chasing, but it seems uncomfortably fat?

[​IMG]

2. Jason

Jason Gold

We have the ones you pictured on the bottom. Not fat at all. Photo makes it look big. They are very small actually. Something fat is less fatiguing to hold for long periods of time. Steering wheels are a great example of this. In the 1980's, American wheels were thin while german wheels were fat and easier to hold on long drives.

3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

The diameter of bit you typically use would also be a factor in selecting HP and rpm. Small diameter bits require less power and more rpm for the same surface cutting speed. I've done a lot of engine porting with the larger model using 1/2" diameter double and single cut carbide cutters with cutting lengths up to 1" long.

I don't know what you were using before but how does the smaller Foredom compare to that in rpm and power?

Best,
    Kelly

4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I was using a dremel 400 before. 5,000 to 35,000 rpm. Not sure the horse power but it draws 2 amps.

Half the rpm and I'm unsure the power difference. Probably the foredom is more powerful.

5. Al2O3

Well, at 2 amps and 120vac you can be sure the Dremel is not more than 240w which is .3HP but that's just the power it's sucking out of the wall outlet. Over that broad of a speed range the power is probably a small fraction of that at the low rpm and maybe 75% of that at the high end.

(Shaft) Power ratings on motorized appliances are ridiculously exaggerated.........like the vacuum cleaners that claim to be 6HP but only draw 15 amps at 120vac LoL!

I have three different die grinders and they're more powerful than any handheld electric. They are very inefficient wrt energy consumption but you can load and abuse them without fear of overheating or damage.

Best,
    Kelly

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I'm still debating foredom models in my head. I don't know if the difference in rpm will matter between 15000 and 18000.

In other news I dissembled the dremel to see why it stopped working. Looks like the brushes just wore out and failed horribly. That must have been what exploded and hit me in the face when it stopped working. The brushes are like 5 bucks to replace so not a big deal. The plastic housing is 20. There is some damage on the plastic housing (first photo) I have but I am not sure if it needs replacing to function or if new brushes will get it up and working again. Looks like the springs melted into the housing.

20200418_143633.jpg 20200418_143646.jpg 20200418_143704.jpg

7. Al2O3

What does the commutator look like? Chewed up?

K

8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Definitely got some wear on it, but I'm thinking still functional?

20200418_151222.jpg

9. Al2O3

Think that would arc/spark and eat a new set of brushes in short order. You could chuck it in a lathe and try to clean it up and polish with abrasive cloth. If you liked the tool and cost of replacement parts were small compared to replacing the tool, it might be worth it.

Best,
    K

10. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I'll polish it up a bit with my second dremel and a buffing wheel. Don't have access to my lathe at the moment. I got 3 sets of spare brushings on the way so I should have plenty of spares.

New dremel is $65-130, the repair parts for the dremel above is about $30.

I'll keep the dremel around as a backup. I'm still trying to figure out if the 1/3 or the 1/6 hp foredom will be better. There are a lot of forum posts on the net comparing dremel vs foredom and foredom seems to be the clear winner, but no posts discuss rpm difference between models or between dremel and foredom.

I sent foredom an email to ask which they recommend for chasing/fine detail work. Lets see which they recommend.

11. Al2O3

If it's not round the brushes will bounce on the commutator.

Have any other tools you use frequently that have brush motors? -Good time to check and replace the brushes if needed.......it's routine maintenance.

Best,
    Kelly

12. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Why not just buy a cheap rotary tool from harbor freight?? :eek::eek: I have one that's 3 years old I paid $20.00 bucks for. It's just now starting to die. But I figure it only cost me 55 cents a month...;)
    Brass dust probably plays hell on brushes and commutators...:(

13. Jason

Jason Gold

I'll turn it down to the shaft if ya want. :p Toss it in the trash. The newer dremels are nice tools. I'm still on the old shitty one from the 1990's!!! And she's starting to get loud. My time is coming.

14. Mach

Mach Silver

Just got this email from Foredom

• *Additionally your order of $99.99 or more will qualify for free economy shipping.
    • 15percent2020 gets you 15 percent off all items sold on our website.
    • Offer expires June 1, 2020.

15. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Thanks for the coupon code!! 15% is a great savings.

I sent the foredom people a message, they seem to think I should go with the TX version for more chasing power. I'll have a look over their hand pieces since I heard they might not all be compatible with the 1/3 hp motor.

I suppose I'll have the repaired dremel as a backup to the TX if I go with that, so I can still do all the things I could do before. But now have more power.

16. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Anyone know if I go with the TXM Bench Motor with Built-in Control (pic below):

1) If at a later date I decide I need to mount the TXM bench motor by handing it up on a hook can I disconnect the motor from the cast iron bench holder/with built in control?

2) Can I later buy a foot pedal controller and hook it up to the motor (after disconnecting the cast iron mount + variable controller?)

[​IMG]

17. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Your asking us???? o_O

18. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

19. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Alright with much angst I bought it and some extra supplies/replacement things. Coupon code came in handy saved me a $100.

upload_2020-4-22_14-7-0.png

Melterskelter likes this.
  20. Mach

Mach Silver

Glad it helped. We expect a review and pics when you get it. :cool: