Form Kastolite using Styrofoam?

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Tops, Feb 17, 2023.

1. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Trying to gather more information about molding/forming a Kastolite hot face body and lid using Styrofoam, as I have a bunch of it in block form and I am comfortable cutting it with a hot wire and gluing it back together as needed. I saw a video of Kelly making a crucible hat with XPS and a vibrating tabletop. Wondering if the same concept would work for something about 14" ID x 16" OD x 20" high [355mm x 405mm x 500mm).

https://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/yet-another-keg-furnace.401/

Thanks!

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

That video offers an important message, one we can all agree on: Properly mixed refractory doesn’t act like you think it will.
    A guy needs to find out the Mfg’s exact instructions and follow them to a tee including the right amount of clean water, etc no matter what his “gut” tells him. Harbison Walker knows what they’re talking about. It’s an un-asked-for comment, but one worth making.
    I take it you’re using solid refractory and no wool? If so the correct refractory will be kastolite30-i. You’ll need 2 bags for these dimensions. Others may want to talk you out of foregoing the koawool and they’re not wrong in doing so, but I have a solid refractory furnace and it runs fine once the rock is hot. If the need ever arises to build another furnace though, I would use koawool.
    So there’s a lot of ways to skin this cat. The bore your talking about will weigh about 55lbs if I’ve done my math right so your forms will have to stand up to the weight as well as whatever method you use to place it - whether it’s vibe or ramming or both. If you think a foam assembly will withstand it, then have at it.
    Say for instance you’re doing this in a hot water tank and just using solid kastolite. You could take the tank’s original sheet metal skin, form a 14” diameter cylinder with it, rivet it, and make 3 or four 14” disks to shove down in it for support, and go ahead and place your refractory. That’s my abbreviated input.

Thats my 2 cents for the morning.

Pete

Tops likes this.
  3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

The first couple pages of this thread is a better example.

Furnace Fail & Reconstruction | The Home Foundry

Foam is strong in compression but would need to be contained/reinforced with structure in tension or sheer. The concrete form tubes are readily available. inexpensive and made for purpose (at least on the ID). They sell them in nested sizes so if it isnt exactly the correct size, just remove a sliver and tape the seem.

Foam is good for the more complex features like heating element shelves in the thread above or possibly a Tuyere......just make a foam Tuyere and glue it in place in your mold, then remove with knife, solvent or burn out.

Best,
    Kelly

Tops likes this.
  4. Tops

Thanks Pete.
    55 gallon (200L) barrel cut down, 3" (75mm) ceramic fiber sides and lid, firebricks on floor, all lined with Kastolite 30i. Still mulling over whether to make Kastolite faces 1" (25mm) or 1.5" (38mm) thick. At 1"(25mm) the design takes about 1 CF or 90# including the lid. The warehouse associate at the firebrick shop gave me a nod and a paraphrased "that'll be snug with so much blanket" comment...

Thanks Kelly. I had thought about CNC'ing layers of foam and gluing them back together. I will consider the concrete tube and forces that may conspire against me. The tips about a foam tuyere is brilliant. I had been thinking about a 3.5" square section as a placeholder in the casting process and then mold the real one as a 2 piece split ala Denis with a slight flare and tangential face to the bore and remaining diameter to fit the burner tube.

Pics of design and loot below. Design is normal top lid, drawn 'open' for visualization purposes. Cut barrel and start of roller base, brick, refractory, mortar and wash coat.
    tops_18feb2023_design.jpg
    tops_18feb2023.jpg

5. Al2O3

1" should be adequate and keep lower mass, with it maybe only being slightly more difficult to cast the refractory. I use the vibration table to vibrate the entire mold. In that case there is no differnece....use just shovel in the refractory and it liquifies and flows wonderfull. Peopl get similar results wth a little more effort by using a vibrating wand, similar and miniature version to what is used by concrete workers in poured housing foundations.......easier to build and power the wand, but a little more tedious to fill the mold with viscous semi-solid refractory.

To make complex refractory shapes it really needs to be full body mld vibe because you can't access all areas with a wand. The underside of a Tuyere can be tricky depending upon your design but in most cases accessible with a wand. Best to expirement on a smaller shape, especially if you've never work with castable refractory before. It's unusual stuff and your initial impression will be the directions a wrong on water content because it is so difficult to mix and once you do, it seems impossibly dry and to viscous of a lump to mold. But with the addition vibe during molding, it magically liquifies, flows, and conforms.

Mix it in premeasured amounts of 10lbs/batch with a plaster mixing paddle and a (very) stout hand drill in a 5gal bucket held between your feet. Each batch can be done in a couple minutes that way and allow adequate working time....mix fill mold/vibe, repeat until mold is full. If you try to mix 50lbs by hand, you will regret it.

The cheap paddles a better than the bladed ones because they create adequate shear with less drill power.

Mixer 1.jpg

If the furnace proportions pictured are correct, I'd probably shorten the height a bit.

Best,
    Kelly

Tops likes this.
  6. Tops

Thanks Kelly for the top tips on the refractory. I have gone back and forth on height. Here it is as numbers:
    tops_18feb2023_design2.jpg

7. Tops

Here is where I am at so far.
    Full disclosure, I had a gyro for dinner recently and I can see that influence in the design... Opa! :)

1-Start with the bricks in the barrel and drill in a centering hole.
    2-Make the mold pieces hot-wired using templates from EPS aka Styrofoam, tuyere piece may be CNC routed in layers and glued.
    3-Coat them with latex paint and possibly another mold release (does anything inhibit Kastolite?)
    4-Insert armature shaft and spacer and lower outer mold that kisses barrel on the points of the octagon
    5-Insert lower inner mold, mark tuyere location on barrel, remove molds, drill tuyere pilot holes in barrel, replace lower outer mold
    6-Add first layer of Kastolite just up to bottom of tuyere, liquify with vibration
    7-Insert lower inner mold, add more castable, liquify with vibration
    8-add upper inner and out molds
    9-set upper armature support, weight down inner molds, add more castable, liquify with vibration
    10-let cure x days at 65-70F
    11-demold in reverse order, destroy Styrofoam if needed, fill in hole from shaft and spacer
    12-fire hot face shell before (?) adding ceramic blanket

core_c.jpg

8. Al2O3

It's a lot of foam. Think you'd better off with one of the cardboard concrete casting tubes. They're fit for purpose. Might be able one tube and cut and splice the ID back together withfilament tape. You'lll need to mumify the OD of the inner tube with clear packing tape because only the ID of the cardboard tubes are waxed and water proofed. You might be able to use foam to center the tubes. For the tuyere, you can just glue a foam mold to the concrete casting tube. If you have full body vibe you can just shovel it in. If wand, in layers as you mention is best. It is possible to over vibrate refractory. It causes the constuent to stratify and water to puddle on top. You can fire the hotface with the ceramic fiber in place. The water will cook off.

Best,
    Kelly

Tops likes this.
  9. Tops

Thanks Kelly. I have the foam and my local does not stock the right sizes tubes so both diameters would involve some rework. I will think on it, will look at the tubes first, and I appreciate the other tips. I could easily see myself overworking the settling of the refractory without your warning.

10. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

If you do find and decide to use sono tubes, note that they ship to stores nested inside each other, so the sizes are nominal and different for almost every tube. So bring a tape measure (or borrow one from another aisle) if you need one with a precise diameter.

I used sono tubes and styrofoam for the formwork in my oil furnace. If it helps, pix and details are in the build thread, link is in my signature.

Good luck!

Jeff

Tops likes this.
  11. Tops

Thanks Jeff, I had no idea they made them vary in size to ship that way. I will check out the link...again ;)

12. Al2O3

+1. This is why I suggested just cut, section, and splice them to the desired diameter. In the thread I linked, I bought one tube at/near my hot face OD and cut a section out that reduced diameter (from 12" to 10") to the desired hotface ID. The outer tube remains strong in hoop strength, and the OD of the inner tube needed to be taped anyway to waterproof it. It's in compression and will easily conform to the new reduced ID aided by the inner cirular support form. Il different several short sections of different diameters for the lid. Just used a razor knife and straight edge. I cut the tube length on the table saw with fence and fine blade. It all took a couple minutes and did it all with one inexpensive tube. I still have the forms and tubes for reuse.

As an aside, I dont think the hoop strength of a spliced (outer) tube is much of a concern if you use filament tape on the seem inside and out, and maybe a couple circumferential wraps for added measure. Ever try to breaking filament tape.......impossible.

Best,
    Kelly

Tobho Mott and Tops like this.
  13. Tops

I went forth, tape measure in hand, and found a 16" x 48" tube that was really 16.5" ID, my original target OD. (419mm ID x 1219mm long)
    Thinking I will pull ID in to 14" even instead of 14.5" as 5/4's thick sounds 'oh so much' better to me than 1". (355mm ID @ 31mm thick vs 367mm ID, @ 25mm)
    Thanks for insisting, sometimes I can be taught :p
    Next question will be tuyere height off inside of hot face. Seems like I have headroom, would it make sense to design some 'bottomroom' to survive a crucible failure without drowning the burner in molten metal? Make it look like a Jell-O ring? Or better to have an open or stoppered drain?

PS-Tube takes Highlighter and Sharpie marker without beading up, suspect there is no coating on either surface.

tops_concretetube0.jpg

tops_concretetube1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
  14. Tops

I started work on the forms. This tube can be cut easily with the large shears that I used to use for fiberglass. I CNC's some flanges for the OD form to keep it 'in the round' and to help center during assembly.
    I was planning to cast the hot face on top of insulating fire bricks that are mortared together and top coated with HWI Sair Set right in the barrel that is on a rolling base.
    -Do I need to seal the tube or flange to the bricks or suffer leakage of the refractory? Is latex caulk OK? Or just use mortar and/or ???
    -Would I be better off trying to cut the tuyere holes in barrel and forms and leveling in the pipe and sealing before casting rather than attempt half before (forms) and half after (barrel)?
    Thanks!
    tops_kastolite_outer.jpg

tops_kastolite_ifbs.jpg

tops_kastolite_outer2.jpg

15. Al2O3

I'd cast it seperately then Mortar it (or not) to the base. I'd probably just cast a thin disc shaped layer over the IFB that centers the hotface. You definitely want a hard face on the IFB. It isnt durable enough for a furnace floor.

My forms were mdf screwed to a base of the mold. I applied a layer of packing tape so they seperated easily. You get some water seapage but not refractory. Whaterevr you do I'd firmly secure it because if you mold floats, you're toast.

There are so many ways to do it, but since you already need to make a Tuyere hole in the hotface, why not just cast the Tuyere tunnel integral with the hot face in KL30? Just make a foam plug the inside diameter of the Tuyere, a concentric annular section to give it the desired wall thickness and cut glue the ends to match your tubular forms. The plug get's glued to the OD of the inner tube and the annual foam mold piece to the OD of the outer hotface mold tube. You'll need to glue a cap on the end that contacts your furnace shell but the Tuyere tunnel is integral to the hot face and made from durable refractory. Alternately, You can cast the Tuyer tunnel seperately and Mortar it to the OD of the hot face if you arent feeling that sporty. You still need a plug for the hole in the hotface.

When I made my larger furnace, it had insulating castable flanges and a 5/8"t dense castable hot face. Once I discovered how to vibe castable into place, no shape was beyond consideration. I made this montage of photos years ago when I built the furnace but it may give you some ideas. The outer diameter of the furunace is fiber insulation.

1 Flange Small.jpg 2 Tuyer Ring Montage.jpg 3 Main Body Mold.jpg 4 Main Body and Bore.jpg 5 Top and Flange.jpg 6 Base Montage.jpg 7 Composite Base.jpg Tuyere Casting.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

Tops likes this.
  16. Tops

Thanks Kelly, I really appreciate the montage as I am having issues viewing the old 'http://' threads with my current browser.
    That is some awesome design and execution!
    I totally forgot about molding in a tunnel or a space for a separate tuyere insert.
    I'd better coffee up and go back to the drawing board.
    :)

PS-I went to size the inner form tube and mixed up on ID and OD circumference. I cut the tube to length and circumference, and... because of pi times delta in diameter...it is 17/32"(13.5mm) too short of lining up at the seam around a correctly sized ID template. I'll be adding that back in and using more tape.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  17. Tops

Here are the concrete forming tubes, cut to length and re-sized for diameter and located in the barrel. I will cast the hot face outside the barrel per Kelly's recommendation. This furnace is being put on hold for something one size smaller. Planning to do the smaller one in this same fashion.
    tops_kastolite_forms.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  18. Tops

I have switched efforts to the medium format and cast the lid refractory today with Kast-o-Lite 30i Plus. The expanded polystyrene was scrap from another project off the CNC so I did not have to prep it to go back on the CNC.
    All the advice upthread was useful and helped me not to second guess the material, thanks.
    -How long should it stay in the mold?-
    HWI also emailed me some sheets but this detail is missing.

tops_medmelt_13may0.jpg

tops_medmelt_13may1.jpg

tops_medmelt_13may2.jpg

19. Al2O3

Early green strength is quite a bit less than green state, which is way less than fired/cured. Edges tend to be crumbly in early green state.

It's temperature dependent warmer is much faster. You wont get heat from curing because it's not massive enough. Most castable refractory directions suggest placement only at >65F. At room temp I'd say >24hrs for sure, and better at 48hrs. If one side of the mold releases and comes off easily and it's still well supported, I'd remove that side at >24hrs, and let is sit a day. The styrofam doesn't breath at all so it will still be wet. If you aren't waiting on it there's no downside to letting it sit. The casting will be no better cured than that remaining in your tub,that's for certain.

Did it seem to flow well when vibrated?

Best,
    Kelly

Tops likes this.
  20. Tops

Thanks Kelly. It did flow when vibrated, even the tail ends I made into a plinth. I was expecting a more 'concrete' like reaction with heat, etc. but plinth still seems soft at 3 hrs. Temps were about 70 F / 21 C and I used lukewarm water to mix. I moved the works into the house to keep warm overnight. I am not in a hurry but wanted to make some forward progress this weekend. I should be able to remove the top part with the wooden disk, leaving the majority supported from the bottom and sides. The outer chimney has a splitable seam.