Foundry Update

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by FishbonzWV, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I stumbled across this pattern letter maker who is focused on model makers. The nice thing is the letters are available in small sizes. They look to be of a nice shape with good draft. They have a distributor in the US:

http://www.railwaymodels.com/content/slaters-raised-letters-and-numbers

And they are based in the UK:

https://slatersplastikard.com/plastikard/alphabets.php

In the US you can buy a set for around 8 dollars with 7.50 USPS Priority shipping which still means they are significantly cheaper then Freeman and, based on my poor experience, likely better.

Denis

2. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

Amazon seller 'Felt Like Sharing'.

You should post Slaters in the 'Link For Various Suppliers' thread for future reference.

3. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I found my signboard letters by searching on "letter board sign letters" and looking for sets that had the most pieces for the best price in a useful looking size.

Haven't actually tested them yet, but they look good and the draft looks right...

20200818_102914.jpg

I doubt I'll get much use out of the emojis that came with the one white all-caps set, for example the 'thumbs up' in the pic above.

The smaller sizes available for model makers seems promising; site bookmarked...

Jeff

4. Melterskelter

5. FishbonzWV

6. FishbonzWV

Got it cast this morning.
    IMG_3865.JPG IMG_3866.JPG

The ridges on the top took out all signs of metal flow.
    What I thought was shrinkage around the tabs must of been where I pressed the radius into the sand with my finger and hoved up the area. I was trying to make up the shrink by adding a layer of cereal box cardboard under each tab. Looks like I need to remove them since there is no sign of shrinkage now. I pressed lightly this time.
    The pattern is a work in progress so nothing is attached permanently yet.
    This took about 3/4 of the A10 so I don't need to fill it like I did today.
    This thing really creates a LOT of burnt sand. All the sand between the tabs becomes crust and quite a bit in the center too.

The lesson learned today...I need to throttle back the burner once a heel gets started. It melts so fast that it's hard to keep it from over heating the aluminium. The spa blower is more powerful than the Aerobed blower so the air and gas need turned down. The melt was actually swirling, not a good thing.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    DavidF, Al2O3 and Tobho Mott like this.
  7. Melterskelter

So, if this is a “work in progress,” zackly how you gonna make it better? Looks MIGHTY fine.

Denis

FishbonzWV likes this.
  8. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That look s really good Bonz. What was the source metal? If it's 356ish a post treatment at 450F or so for 5hrs can increase strength over as cast though over time, it will likely catch up.

Best,
    Kelly

FishbonzWV likes this.
  9. FishbonzWV

Three spots need tweaking, strip the letters and a coat of paint.

Yeah Kelly, it's wheelium. The last of two rims I chunked up. Need to slice up a couple more.
    T5 treatment sounds good. I need to find me a 1 ton boulder to test it on. :eek:

10. Melterskelter

Strip the letters?
    Denis

11. FishbonzWV

Yep, the outside ring needs another coat of paint. I use a couple small dabs of contact cement to adhere the letters so they pop off easily.

12. FishbonzWV

Did a test lift with what I could find. Estimating around 1400/1500 lbs.

IMG_3887-crop.JPG IMG_3888-crop.JPG

13. FishbonzWV

I now know the head will withstand more pressure than the boards will.
    Used it to pull concreted fence posts and one was really nasty. Concrete was 16" x 22" deep, one leg cracked but we got it out.

14. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That's good. Board is easier to replace!

K

FishbonzWV and Melterskelter like this.