Frog and Lillypads - Zapins

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Zapins, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

NOPE! Go buy gas and some rod.

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Its 900 psi actually. I just double checked. Still a bit low for comfort. I think its 2000 when full right?

I'll check the prices on it but basically I'll be packing it up for the next 4 years so I won't get to use the welding gas I buy now.

3. What's the downside of using it until you run out? Even 500 psi is a lot of gas.

4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Just worried I'll run out and not be able to refill it this weekend. And I'm packing up my tools for 4 ear storage on saturday. I suppose I could try it though and just nip out tomorrow morning before 12 for a refill if I need the gas.

5. Jason

Jason Gold

I dump at 500psi. I start to have problems much lower than that. My 120cf costs 30bucks to fill. 2000 is what I get on mine.

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Airgas quoted me $128 for a 150 tank. I laughed in their face and left. I got mine filled at praxair for $61 for my 120 tank. Praxair is the cheapest in my area.

What psi are you using to tig with? I normally have mine on 14 psi, but maybe that's a bit high?

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Flow meter buddy... Depends on how far out your tungsten is and what size cup you are running. Normally around 15-20cfm.. Stainless, I use a big fat cup and 25-30cfm.
    If you are dealing with psi, look at getting a better rig later on.
    These are usually chinese, but are pretty good and cheap too. You can spend 200bucks on a good flowmeter, as a hobbyist, I wouldn't.

https://www.arc-zone.com/argon-flow-meter-pxrf1430-580?gclid=CO7LntCG2OICFQq9wAodXh8IkA

8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Think I have a flow meter. I just misspoke. 14 cfm is what it's on. And I have a #6 gas lens on.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

14cfm for a #6 cup is good. There is a chart on this page. I know if you have it too high, you can get bubbles in your puddle. Probably have to be really high though. A gas lens is the best investment I think you can make for a tig rig. Better coverage and you can turn down the flow a few points if you're a broke doctor that just finished school up to his eyeballs in student loan debt before he starts making stupid which Ferrari to drive to work money hoping like hell pocahontas gets elected so she can make that debt vanish.:eek: :D:p

http://weldinganswers.com/guidelines-for-a-proper-tig-setup/

10. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Pretty useful chart there. I think I'll lower it to 9 cfm and try that. I think I have 3/32 tungsten in there and #6 lens. So it says 8 to 10 cfm. Didn't realize I was overdoing it, but that helps conserve.

Haha I wish. I don't think I'll ever get out of the student debt. It's pretty crazy the USA has such high education rates. All other first world countries have higher education as free or very cheap. Like in Australia its 7,000 a year for med school. Same kind of thing in Europe. But here in the USA its 78,000 per year. And 40 to 50 k college now at many places. Pretty ridiculous. But most after college jobs still are around 60 to 90k/yr on average. It just doesn't add up.

11. Jason

Jason Gold

It will.... This is a long term thing. Don't count on pocohontas, not a chance in hell.

12. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Flower is done for the frog and lillypad sculpture. Here they are all sand blasted up. Ready for patinas and whatnot.

20190609_191647.jpg 20190609_192100.jpg 20190609_192116.jpg

13. Jason

Jason Gold

Very nice. That should be worth a couple grand easily.

14. Hello Zapins! You've done a fantastic project man! Here, I'm a DIY project lover right here spend my time finding new unique ideas and I just loved yours! I just want to get the same project done with different materials. Crazy. Right? Well, let me use stainless steel and aluminum. But you know, the TIG welding setting is a little complex and requires a few settings to be followed strictly!

15. Jason

Jason Gold

Go for bronze. After you tig weld this stuff, you'll never want to weld anything else. Its buttery smooth and a pleasure to work. The pulse setting is handy with bronze to agitate the puddle to keep it moving. Weld on dc, electrode negative. AC can be used if cleaning is necessary.

16. Thanks for your information, Jason.

17. Jason

Jason Gold

I copied Zap here on my first piece. It was a jewelry box for my wife. No harm following someone's lead. His frog thing here is a beautiful piece.

18. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Thanks man I appreciate it.

I have always found stainless pretty easy to tig. It is similar to steel but seems to act a little like bronze too. It's not a bad material to work with. The settings for stainless are the same as for regular steel from what I've done.

Be sure to post pics of what you make!