Fuel Manifold and Linkage Arm

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by Al2O3, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I needed a fuel distribution manifold and a linkage arm to complete the intake manifold induction system I’ve been working on.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/in...ive-intake-manifold-lid.366/page-4#post-21353

To mount here:

1 a Intake.JPG

I suppose I could have drilled and tapped a few holes in some billet, but what fun would that be? Space was tight between the two carbs so I sliced up some foam and assembled four sets of each.

1 Log.JPG 2 Log Detailed.JPG 3 Link Arm Pcs.JPG 4 Link Arm Assembled.JPG

Detailed them with some wax fillet

5 Link and Log Detailed.JPG 6 Link on Log.JPG

Sprued them up. I attached a couple bobs to flow a little metal through the parts because sometimes the metal that initially hits the cup can produce fold flaws. Tying the parts together also adds some strength to the tree which is helpful when you dip them because the patterns are buoyant, and it takes a little force to submerge them in the slurry.

7 Sprued.JPG 8 Sprued.JPG

I spritzed them down with some soapy (Dawn dishwashing soap) water and dipped in refractory coating

9 Dipped.JPG

Being Wintertime, I hung the pattern inside the cardboard tube that is sitting over a heater vent in my house. After a couple hours....bone dry.

10 Drying.JPG

Planning to cast tomorrow morning.

Best,
    Kelly

Tobho Mott likes this.
  2. Al2O3

Colder today (15F) and a small melt so I melted inside and walked it outside to pour.

Here’s the dried pattern

11 Dry Pattern.JPG

Into the sand it goes.....

12 Into Sand.JPG

Pour & De-mold

13 Post Pour.JPG

Here’s how they came out of the sand.

14 As Cast.JPG

Got the second set detailed up and ready to cast.

15 With 2nd Pattern.JPG

De-gated

16 De-gated.JPG 17 Together.JPG

I keep backing off my pour temps. This one was 1400F. I also poured a thin stream through some cold air and I can see I very close to pouring short.

18 Almost Short.JPG

Into the furnace for little heat treating and then machining.

18 Temper.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

Mark's castings likes this.
  3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

They look great!!

4. Al2O3

Thanks David. I threw them in the vibratory at work with small cylindrical ceramic media. Makes them look like they are grey anodized. Not sure I'm sold on that. Someone told me steel grit makes a great finish...;)

Machined the fuel manifold which also mounts the linkage arm.

19 WithFittings.JPG

Like I said in Post #1, space is tight.....

20 Between Carbs.JPG

Progress...One step at a time.

Best,
    Kelly

joe yard likes this.
  5. DavidF

Now who could that have been? :rolleyes:
    The fuel manifold looked 10 times bigger in foam...

6. DavidF

Persuasion....
    SmartSelect_20191219-000341_Gallery.jpg

7. Al2O3

I have a blast cabinet in my home shop now and just need to plumb some compressed air to it. I'm gonna give it a whirl. Just have to source some. Happen to have a picture from about 2-3 feet?

The manifold and the link arm are sort of trinkets. Could have just whittled them out of wrought stock but thought the castings looked more period correct and in theme with the rest of it......and after all, this is a casting forum. Need to machine the link arm for bearings and then fit up all the linkage and fuel lines. It's busy work.

Best,
    Kelly

8. Al2O3

Machined the arm and mounted the bearings. Sort of like time lapsed photography. o_O

21 Link Arm.JPG
    22 Link Arm.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

_Jason and Mark's castings like this.
  9. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

Nice work, yet again! One of my main reasons for casting is big chunks of aluminum are expensive, and my CNC mill is tiny so hogging off metal takes forever. A near net shape is so much faster to machine. Also I have been able to reduce the number of pieces, joints, fasteners, and weight, all positives. I need to do two more castings for the CNC router but the weather is cold and everything is outside. The sand is below freezing right now! I doubt the propane pressure is high enough too.

10. Al2O3

Thanks Gary. If you have a 5-gallon bucket with a sealing lid for the (stinky) sand, just bring both inside overnight and haul them outside just before use. I doubt there would be a problem with your propane unless you are on the verge of freezing in fair weather.

Best,
    Kelly

11. Al2O3

Cast up the second set of parts yesterday.

23 Next Casting.JPG

One complete fuel manifold and linkage, and three sets of casting should keep me in business for a while.

24 Its a Wrap.JPG

We’re going to call it a wrap for this thread. Time to build up and test fit the rest of the system.

Best,
    Kelly

Tobho Mott and Clay like this.