Furnace Cart and Lift Build

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Al2O3, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Finished up the lid lift today.

28.JPG 29.JPG

27.JPG

Need to work on the ballast carriages tomorrow.

Best,
    Kelly

joe yard likes this.
  2. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

I lack the vocabulary to express how jealous I am of how quickly you bang through your projects Kelly.

I managed to cut about 9 inches worth of ~.250" key way this week, and I'm pumped at the meager progress...lol

Mark's castings likes this.
  3. Jason

Jason Gold

I melted some wax and burnt my finger.
    Looks good Kelly.

4. Al2O3

Thanks Guys. I can be a bit obsessive at times but I do enjoy it and I usually get something useful out of it all. I must say, casting and machining all those pulleys/guide wheels, and mounting brackets was a bit of a grunt. It may be a slight bit Rube Goldbergish, but gravity is pretty darn reliable. Let's see how the ballast carriages go today. We got a foot of wet snow yesterday. I cleared the first 6" yesterday because I didn't think my blower could handle a foot of that wet heavy stuff so I have the rest ahead of me this morning before I hit the shop.

Best,
    Kelly

5. Mister ED

Mister ED Silver

Rube Goldbergish? Not in the least! Once again great job. 12" of white stuff?? Lordy, I hope that stays south of us!!

I was happy just to get some more cherry boards planed down yesterday. But dang my ankles are paying for it this morning. Hopefully I can get these kitchen cabinets knocked out quickly (Ed's quick not Kelly's quick) and pick up with the new furnace where I left off last fall.

6. Al2O3

After blowing snow and some honey-dos, I got out to my shop and finished up the ballast carriages. The post on the single wheel is drilled eccentric so it can be adjusted to the desired clearance.

30 carriage.JPG

31 Carriages.JPG

I wanted to test the lid lift first. Back in post #9 I remarked about combining the guide wheel and lifting pulley would require the guide wheel to slip on the post because the different contact diameters of the cable guide chamfers and the doubling block would require the pulley/guide to spin at slightly different speeds.

32 On Post.JPG 33 On Post.JPG

34 Rig.JPG

It works but I’m afraid it’s not going to work satisfactorily. If I have the guide wheels adjusted against the posts, it causes the cable to jerk, slip, and grab during motion and if I loosen the guide wheels so they slip, it creates some sloppy motion and minor wracking. This will be worse on the furnace body lifting because its weight will mean higher contact forces and those aluminum wheels already grip the steel post very well on the lighter lid lift.

I left myself two provisions to address this; direct lift the lid and body without the doubling block, or add separate independent lifting pulleys for the doubling blocks.

If I direct lift I can get more lift height but will need to use twice the ballast weight. I don’t need the extra lift height and it will add 100+ lbs to the overall weight of rig and a higher center of gravity. The only downside to using separate lifting/doubling pulleys is I need to make four more pulleys! I’m going to have to sleep on that one. I’m leaning toward adding four pulleys and staying with the doubling block arrangement.

Best,
    Kelly

7. I didn't understand your design, and think I do now. Are you trying to spin the pulleys reverse to the travel when you lift? If you run the cable the other direction around the lid pulleys it would make them roll the right direction. Of course then the cable would not be perfectly vertical. Am I understanding what it is doing?

Alternatively, a three piece sandwich pulley would let the cable pull the center one direction and the side plates could follow the angle iron.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

I see what OIF is talking about looking back at post #9. The pulleys will be turning backwards as that thing goes up.

9. Al2O3

Good grief, that's absolutely right. I didn't even give a thought to direction of rotation. What a gaff. LMAO.

Yup. think you've got it. I could do that on the lid lift but the way the cables must be routed and nest, I could not do that for both the lid and furnace lifting on the current layout.

Also a good thought but aside from the fact I don't think the existing pulleys could be re-worked as such, not sure I have room widthwise to pull that off.

When I was spit-balling the cable and pulley arrangement I thought it might be nifty to combine the pulleys and lifting wheels but I knew there was a potential problem using the same pulley as a guide and as the doubling block lifting pulley. I was so fixated on the difference in pulley and guide diameter, I completely overlooked direction of rotation. Even with correct rotation, if there is a difference between the contact diameter on the post of the guide wheel pitch diameter (GwPD) and the cable pulley pitch diameter (CpPD) it means the center of the wheel wants to advance at both Pi x the GwPD and Pi x CpPD. Since the two can’t be the same diameter there will always be a mismatch and there must still be some slip of either the cable or the rolling surface. Reverse rotation takes slip to a different level!

Even with correct rotation it’s sort of interesting because the degree of mismatch depends on where you think the pitch diameter lands on the guide wheels. Is it nearer the root of Vee or at the OD? Or in between? The OD is 4” whereas the cable pulley diameter is 2 ½”…….that’s a big mismatch whereas if the GwPD is near the root it’s much smaller and requires less slip.....but me thinks it is now a moot issue.

I think the most practical solution as rework or maybe even at inception having recognized the counter rotation would still the same, direct lift or separate lifting pulleys.....still leaning toward the latter since everything else is built and added pulleys are fairly easily accommodated.....famous last words;).

Humbly,:confused:
    Kelly

10. Did you turn the pulley vee's to slick them up (and insure concentricity)? Last picture does not look like it to me. A really smooth pulley on a smooth angle may just work as designed with a smooth face, and few thousandths eccentricity would sure make things jump around.

And, sure, you have plenty of room for a three piece sandwich pulley. You only need 3/16" plates to ride on the angle and 0.020" wider than the cable to run it in. When taut it won't wander. Run a parting tool into the pulley then add a spacer washer the parting tool thickness. I'm still very much impressed with your builds, a little development modification is always appropriate. It is fun to hone a design. Honing makes for a sharper knife.

11. Al2O3

Wasn't planning on doing that until I disassembled everything for paint. The big pulleys are just guide wheels and probably don't need it but once the cross slide on the lathe is set up, may as well true them all up. The small pulleys on the ballast carriages will benefit quite a bit from being trued up since the distance between centers across the post is fixed and any eccentricity and run out there is very noticeable in the ballast carriage rolling motion on the post.

Not so sure about that. There are hollow axles on each guide wheel with a 3/8 bolt running through them that get sandwiched between the mounting plates. That's how they are adjustable on centers and fixed in place, but I think you'd need to control and maybe even shim the stacked clearance pretty closely because clearance needed on the axle for the holes in the plates would also allow them to spread and deflect and maybe bind on the axles. The cable from the furnace body lift is routed through the grooves in the lid lift guide wheels but isn't supposed to engage them so I wouldn't want to cut guide grooves into those lid lifting pulleys and the lid needs to operate independently from the body. I have mounts on the lid pulley brackets to install slotted/adjustable plastic cable guides to get the cables spaced and to track more precisely in the vicinity of lid lift guide wheels because without, I think they actually would tend wander. I'm also thinking at this point four more lifting pulleys sounds like a sure bet and much less rework......

^Thanks OIF. Such a fundamental error in kinematics.....tisk tisk. I can remember plenty of times trying something that didn't work as well as expected but can't remember getting this far down the road with something that was never going to work. Appreciate the suggestions. Would have been even better after post #1, where were ya? :D. Bare with me. Recovery and hopefully redemption is coming.

Best,
    Kelly

12. You know the people who never make mistakes.

I was watching at post 1 but really didn't fully follow what you were doing. And I'm pretty new here (not just pretty) and just finding my way around.

I'd sure try cleaning up the grooves first to see whether the as-cast surface is causing 90% of the problem.

I much appreciate this exchange, everyone learns. Unfortunately there are lots of folks who see any suggestions as criticism. And on the other end of the spectrum there are those who propose solutions with no real experience in the field. Both of those provide little to the passersby who, in my opinion, are what is the greater value of the forum. Ofttimes it is valuable to explain more than just the bare minimum for the benefit of those who never post.

13. Jason

Jason Gold

Confucius say, "If you are the smartest man in the room, you are in the wrong room."

14. Al2O3

I trued up the pulleys and guide wheels on the lathe and added the lid lift pulley mounting slot tonight. For the added slots I had to drill holes, connect them with the recip saw, and then tune them up with a die grinder and burr. I’ll be picking metal slivers out of my hands for the rest of the week. Truing the guide wheels really made the motion of the ballast carriages much smoother and precisely guided.
    35 TrueUp Pulleys.JPG 36 Trued Up Pulleys.JPG 37 Lid Brkt.JPG
    Any time I can take ground on a week night is a good night. I hope to have the lift working this weekend…..must have goals!

Best,
    Kelly

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  15. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Well those hand-whittled slots look as good as if they were done with a milling machine. You must have a steady hand! I feel your pain in those little bitty sharp-as-any-needle slivers. Nice work on the slots and pulleys.

16. Well I took the chance and found your water outlet thread. I had read it as it was developing last year, before you had resolved the issues. I really thought it would always be substandard castings.

Wow! You really made some progress, and it is a coming thing. Obvious by the pulley production as a matter of course.

I want to sand cast, it's traditional. But I'm a foam convert and will learn how to do it. In fact, I'm converting a concrete mixer to muller and have been mulling over making some of the attachments by lost foam. A little ironic, to build a muller with lost foam castings.

Thank you very much for taking the time to chronicle your adventure into the lost foam world. And with plenty of Olivine sand you really should take up sand casting...

Now, if I might offer a suggestion. When turning aluminum pulleys I use a tool steel bit ground to a round nose. It peels the aluminum off in smooth little sheets. I keep a piece of brass handy and when aluminum gets stuck to the tool (cut becomes rough) I pull the tool out and break the aluminum off. The large radius eliminates the feed marks. It works for me.

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

Thanks again for the continuing education!!

17. Al2O3

Thanks for the tip. I was rifling through those pulleys as fast as I could over my lunch hour and just grabbed whatever tool was laying on the lathe......but my very limited machining skills are further aggravated by impatience.

I cast in the axle holes in the pulleys but unless you're going to use a small boring bar, it's tough to have the concentricity necessary to just drill and ream for bushings since the drill just tends to follow the holes then your reamer will cut over size. Those holes were mounting provisions for machining the patterns but I probably should have plugged them, center drilled, reamed etc. Close enough for who/what it's for.

Funny thing, I took the lost foam exit ramp and never got back on the casting highway. Eventually I want to build a muller and have good molding sand. I have shell material and wax, and would also like to do some investment casting and other metals too. Every process has its strengths and place. Crazy thing is I can do most everything I need with lost foam and very quickly. It's tough to beat for making one-offs or handfuls....have you read the pros/cons thread?

I'm enjoying a lot of family and shop time this weekend and will have an update for this thread in the near future.....maybe tomorrow night if can get to posting it. Gonna have a casting session tomorrow morning.

Best,
    Kelly

18. I'm on board with using whatever tool is in the lathe if it's even close to working. If you have an expanding mandrel you can drill the hole then set up on the mandrel to true the balance of the work.

Did you get any sand stuck in the bores? Seems like that would be hard on tooling. I was planning on trying a hollow machine handle (I need one) for my first foam. Seems the bore is a good gas escape path. Did you leave the pulley bores bare or have you decided all gas can go out the sprue? Seems like uncoated bobs would be good vents too.

I've read the pros and cons thread, but likely digested little. For instance, I'm wondering now if you make a wax pattern can you melt it out of drywall mud (not burn out) then use the compacted sand to hold the form? Or is the mud too fragile to vibrate sand around with no foam inside?

I wanted to comment on the water outlet machining fixtures you made. Seems like aluminum would be the best choice. Light, strong, and easily recycled. When automotive engines are made of aluminum it seems like a fine material for fixtures. Cast iron is used based on cost and I imagine for a home foundry the energy cost, furnace wear, and crucibles outweigh the cost of materials. Just my thoughts.

19. Al2O3

I coated everything including the bores with drywall mud because it keeps the sand from imbedding in the surface of the casting which as you've noted is hell on machine tools. What drywall mud doesn't fall off in water quench usually blows off with compressed air, or in the most stubborn of cases with wire brush/wheel. In any case drywall mud is much easier on tooling than sand. I've also learned there is no benefit whatsoever in thick coating; it just lengthens drying time. Thinning to the right viscosity is very helpful but you really only need enough coverage to turn the foam from pink to white and this is beneficial in venting as well. Mud is porous and breathes and even more so when thin. The surface finish of the casting is unaffected by coating thickness as long as there is coverage.

Drywall Mud coating has no appreciable strength by itself and wont work as shell without support of the vibrated/compacted sand.

Lost foam Aluminum machining fixtures are very practical but iron is actually superior because of superior dampening as it has a higher elastic modulous......but if it's a stout fixture or doesn't have heavy tool loading it doesn't matter. Zamak (Zinc-aluminum+) alloys are actually a nice compromise because their as cast strength can be comparable to or better than heat treated aluminum and they dampen better. Zinc is cheap and melts below aluminum temps so is practical and easy to work with. This has the makings of another thread!!

Best,
    Kelly

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  20. Jason

Jason Gold

Drywall mud is fragile as all hell. Ceramic shell is the material of choice if you want to melt out wax. The moment you start to raise the temperature of the wax, it immediately starts to expand and tries to blow apart ceramic shell. Ceramic shell that has been vitrified is pretty damn strong, but can fail if steps are not taken. Not saying drywall mud can't be done, but there is a reason for todays high tech slurries. On larger pieces, people reinforce ceramic shell with chicken wire etc to help keep it rigid. Big heavy pours, can require thicker coats of shell to support the weight if not embedded in sand. It's important the correct microcrystalline wax is used as not all waxes are created equal. Again, the key is to control expansion during dewax. I still think my hot water bath holds promise, but I'm too busy to screw with it these days.

You cast iron weenies do know there is an alternate version of ceramic shell sold from R&R specifically for cast iron right?? ;)