Furnace Drain Holes---Procedure for use?

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Melterskelter, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

This is an interesting discussion with good points on both sides of the drain vs no drain option.

I think I will see if I can have a setup that includes a plugged drain with a simple lever that will allow pooping the plug out if needed. I'll be melting iron over a sand surface, so having the liquid metal pour out might be better than it freezing in my furnace along with the plinth and broken crucible. I do have a Salamander Super, so hoping this does not occur, but....

At least that is my thinking so far as that addresses the controllability issue and potentially reduces the damage related to crucible failure. Does this sound like a practical approach? Maybe use pottery kiln peep hole kiln plug? I am not sure of the temperature limit on such a plug. Use refractory disc with a bump that roughly fits into the drain hole? Copper plug?

Denis

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  2. OCD

OCD Silver

Why not just add a small round piece of steel to make a drain cover and attach it to a pivot and handle.

When a crucible fails just swing the little gate open for it to drain out.

3. Melterskelter

Wouldn't you expect the steel to just scale like crazy at those temps---not quite melting but close to it? When I heat treat steel at only 1700, it scales pretty badly in only an hour if unprotected by a stainless envelope. A stainless cover might be OK, I suppose. But not sure how even stainless would do at 2700 degrees or so.

Denis

4. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

for the record...I have a 2" drain hole but it's covered with the plith that has a cross pattern groove. I haven't seen any flames coming out the bottom.
    I use a cast iron skillet setting atop a steel can lid to catch what may come out the drain.

5. J.Vibert

J.Vibert Silver

Other than my drain being smaller than yours, this is my experience as well. There has been times when I haven't bothered replacing the tinfoil plug I choose to use and don't notice anything getting passed the plinth. Now during a direct melt, (the forgotten benefit) I definitely see flame pushing their way out the bottom. I use steel crucibles for melting aluminium and use the drain as a means to remove rust/scale out after a melt.

It was commented on earlier about fluid fuel dripping out the drain. I run waste vegetable oil via drip burner and only use propane as a preheat. I did experience oil dripping out the bottom early on in my burner building efforts. It also seeped between the seam of my hot face body and base. Once I had the burner sorted out and learned how to use it, I had no further pooling issues. If you fluid fuel can puddle on the bottom of your furnace and then subsequently drain out, the drain shouldn't be considered the problem. In fact, I'd call it a bonus that you don't need to sob up the pool inside the furnace. An ingot tray will catch fluid oil just as well as it will catch fluid metal.

The notion of not wanting a spill to exit the furnace isn't something I can argue against if you believe it provides a greater aspect of safety. Different strokes different folks I suppose. Personally, I always leave an ingot tray under my furnace drain. Mainly because I was originally melting over an asphalt driveway and would rather not deal with the molten whatever damaging it. Now, I still follow the same practice. Force of habit I guess.

The assumption that the use of quality equipment and pre-melt checks will negate the advantages for a drain is fool hearty imo. I've used similar analogy earlier but buying a car with collision detection doesn't mean you should go without wearing your seat belt.

If you rather house a spill, then drain it, well no argument here. That said, I'd rather be melting down my newly accidentally made ingots then spending my weekend chipping out the frozen metal in my furnace.

6. OCD

OCD Silver

I was talking about attaching it on the out side of the furnace on the bottom.

I don't see that getting hot enough to scale..... But then again I could be wrong as I've never tried it.

Just a thought.

7. Melterskelter

I see. Somehow I imagined you were talking about a steel door located inside the furnace combustion area. I suppose one that butted against the outside of a drain hole would be less exposed to heat and scaling.

Denis

8. Peedee

Peedee Silver

The lasts suggestion is very similar to the 'door' seen in a forge air blast pipe used to remove clinkers. Usually hinged and weighted.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

Screw the drain hole.... Take a chance in life. Go Commando!

commando.jpg

10. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Ask the guy who went bungy jumping after an Indian takeaway :)

11. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Over the course of time the hole will get filled from incidental metal unless it gets cleaned out routinely. That's just one more step to forget at pouring time. Once it's full and solid, it's not likely to melt back out. Even a hole left open can plug up because of incidental metal or use in a direct melt if it's not looked after. I've had my 1" plugged several times through the use of failing steel crucibles and less-than-judicious maintenance. The use of charcoal lends to it as well. A 1/2" drill will get it opened, and since I'm not using steel or charcoal anymore I feel that crucible failure is unlikely. Being more careful about what I'm putting in the crucible helps too. Over-length material is always the culprit. Yes, it will lower itself in as it melts, but just because I can doesn't mean I should.
    Both of my crucible furnaces shoot flame out the hole like a rocket engine with both propane and oil burners. Even with the plinth in place. I plugged the hole in the small furnace from the inside with a mixture of sand and fireclay. Having some sort of ejector pin for it seems like a good plan.

Pete

12. Jason

Jason Gold

I have a strange habit... I like to vacuum the inside of my furnace before I use it each time. Same goes for the kiln. Don't know why, but seems like a good idea. :(

13. OCD

OCD Silver

I always just chuck a pussy cat or 2 in there before placing a crucible in the furnace.

A little VooDoo seems to help keep the hole from clogging up.

14. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Yup, headless chickens work as well OCD... :)

I am thinking with a plinth on the bottom of the furnace, I am going to try about 1/2" of sand on the bottom. Not sure it will help in a release of hot metal but it may make things easier with splashes from drossing tools etc?

15. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

There's a decent example of my furnace billowing rich flames out the drain hole at about 22:50 in this video I just uploaded yesterday. You can see when I turn the blower up, they retreat somewhat, just like when watching the vent up top to adjust the mixture.

It doesn't really bother me, but I think I'll try plugging the drain again next time; I can always preheat my dross skimmer up top... I like the idea of using a sand/fireclay mix, kind of like the bott plugs (with an 'o', don't get excited) used on cupola furnaces. I might even still have enough of it premixed, left over from my Gingery charcoal furnace build back in 2013.

Jeff

Jason and Al Puddle like this.
  16. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

OK, I'll be the contrarian. Unless you feel you're loosing an unacceptable amount heat, I don't see flaming out the drain hole to be detrimental. In fact, I'd say it may be beneficial to direct melt and insuring you don't have freezing in the drain hole when you don't want it. In my case of freeze, it was in a lead melt which of course isn't very hot to start with and it didn't take much temperature drop to start the freeze and plugging. If your furnace walls are doing their job, there should be a big temperature drop from the drain opening in the furnace to the exterior and that's why once the drain plugs it's not typically going to unplug by itself. If the drain walls are preheated with some exiting flame the chance of freeze during drainage is reduced. All of this supposes flames exiting the drain don't pose some other hazard.

Best,
    Kelly

17. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

It would be easier to use that flame to determine if I need (more/less) (blower/fuel) if it was coming out through the lid where I don't have to bend over to see it, rather than coming out the drain where I do...

Other than that, from where I stand, I've already pointed out that it really doesn't bother me either, or keep me from being able to melt anything I've tried to melt so far. But before I put my rusty old muffin pan down there, the blast of fire was making my furnace cart's surface sag a bit, due to the cart's frame being covered with only very thin sheet metal that used to be the drawer under our old oven (Balerion's three feet are strategically placed and bolted down where they are supported by the frame, not just the sheet metal). That was a little troubling, but not the end of the world either. The pan helps with that, so that is not a problem anymore. That pan was used once or twice to make salt flux ingots and immediately began rusting like crazy; it's so far gone now that I would not trust it to hold metal anymore anyhow, so basically it is just a heat shield for my furnace cart at this point. I would have to remove it if I plugged the drain, since that would stop it from getting preheated. If I were to use it to actually catch spills after knocking out a plug of some kind when it was cold, even if it didn't leak like sieve, I'm sure there would be some wild spitting and popping from all the atmospheric H2O trapped in that rust.

I think it'd be fun to try a direct melt sometime... But the wheels I usually melt (and still have a small stack of, unmelted and frustratingly tire-entrapped) won't fit in the Black Dread's 12" bore. :(

Jeff

18. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

That's given me an idea. For reasons I don't want to go into, I accidentally encased my last plinth in aluminum. I've beat the living hell out of it with a 3# hammer and the plinth hasn't budged or cracked. Maybe I'll try a direct melt.
    IMG_1106.JPG
    IMG_1108.JPG
    IMG_1107.JPG

19. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

Attached Files:

20. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

So, I melted the thing.
    IMG_1109.JPG IMG_1117.JPG IMG_1120.JPG IMG_1121.JPG got my plinth back.