Going waste oil at last, with a kwiky burner.

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by Patrick-C, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

That is the common error. Everyone thinks they need a bouncy house blower and that's simply not true. I run just half a microwave blower on mine. They are usually 3 or 4 speeds. I wired all 3 on mine. I start on low and switch to high as I fully open the fuel.
    14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel. ANY deviation in fuel or air will cause the temp to drop.

Patrick-C likes this.
  2. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Thank you Jason, I have a microwave blower so I shall set it up.
    Patrick

Jason likes this.
  3. Jason

Jason Gold

If you've seen any of my videos, you'll see my half ass setup. But it works perfect.;)

4. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

You know those crucibles I said I was going to get? Well, I finally got them! And I can't wait to use them.

Patrick

Tobho Mott and Jason like this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

Lmao... Now you get to build 3 different pouring tools and lifting tongs. I run a 6 and a 10. That's enough!

But it was smart doubling up with the current state of the world.

6. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I have bolt-in spacers to accommodate different sizes of crucibles for use in the same tools. The lifting ring in the picture will handle both an 18 with spacers removed and a 10 with the spacers installed (shown). I have a set of spacers for the tongs as well. They only take a couple of minutes to put in or take out.
    EFE66626-2ED5-4545-98E4-796C909AAECF.jpeg

Pete

Tobho Mott and Melterskelter like this.
  7. Jason

Jason Gold

That's a slick design. I rebuilt from the ground up.

8. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Pete,

Could you take some closer pics that show a little more detail on the spacers? That is a really good idea. Seems sort of obvious when you say it, but I never considered til now.

Denis

9. Petee716

Sure. I’ll gets some pictures and post them tomorrow evening.

10. Petee716

20220211_081642.jpg 20220211_081538.jpg 20220211_081451.jpg

I used 1/4" steel cut to size and forged to shape around the hub of a brake rotor. Tapped for 14-20. I put unique notches into the assemblies with a grinder for easy matching.

Pete

11. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

That is cool! Thank you for sharing. But I have a really cool design I have been working on for a while, and I think I will try that first.

Patrick

12. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Simple. Solid. I like it. The I.D. notches will make assembly just a little easier.

I recently purchased a silicon-carbide crucible that will require some modification of my pouring trolley ring. I’ll use a variation of your bolt-in inserts. Very timely. Thanks.

I’ll post what I come up with.

Denis