Got light?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Jason, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Just remember to rewire the tombstones:eek:

2. Jason

Jason Gold

You bet. I cant wait to TRASH every friggen ballast! For as long as I live, I will never forget the smell they make when they go Chernobyl.

Dave, look at this picture, you too could look like a pro with these wedges.:p

20181013_003541.jpg

I went to buy a torpedo level, grabbed a dewalt, made in China. You guys would be proud of me, I bought this empire. Made in the USA. It's a nice tool. Worth the 20bucks.

15394093088683434568419357520253.jpg

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  3. Jason

Jason Gold

Hey Andy, was I suppose to buy non shunted tombstones or can I just hack the wires off the one end?

4. Jason

Jason Gold

Found it.. These bulbs require non shunted. I got lucky, the dozen in the garage are all non-shunted.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  5. Glad you figured it out! With the cover off you can look at the connections. I cut the wire from the far end and save it for melting stock. Then cut everything loose on the near end and just tie power to one side of each tombstone and neutral to the other side.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks Andy. Easy peasy! I opened one up last night and it's a no brainer. I dont know why some idiots on YT try to make it out to be brain surgery.:rolleyes:

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  7. Jason

Jason Gold

Glad this one is almost done.. :(
    20181015_205737.jpg

8. Jason

Jason Gold

I'm in grout Dave... u?

20181016_232640.jpg

9. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

No, not yet :rolleyes: and the new shop may not be done until Christmas :confused::oops:

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Hey I saw today homecheapo sells a wannabe tile wedge system. Looked like trash to me. Did you get your tile there? I saw stuff that looked just like your planks. Nice stuff. Looks like wood.

11. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

There is a tile and carpet mart up the road a bit that we bought it from. We did see some at homedepo we liked but they sold out of it before I was ready for it. They also had some mini white washed wood plank tile that would have been great for a back splash that I missed out on... Really regret missing out on those. looking for something similar but no luck so far.

12. Jason

Jason Gold

This is a hard one to photograph. Measured on the bench, the left side is 400 lumens and on the right is 1400 lumens. That's INSANE!

20181017_154427.jpg

They even came with warning stickers written in typical chinglish for your fixtures. These guys are first class!

15398130657018712727503181604908.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  13. Jason

Jason Gold

old lights were drawing .5amps, new ones pull .3amps 22watts a bulb is a bit optimistic seeing I have 125 volts. So more like 19watts. Something tells me the Chinese are probably the kings at stretching the truth.

20181017_173847.jpg

20181017_175422.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  14. Did the old lights have power correction capacitors installed or just had a magnetic ballast only?. A friend who worked on a freighter ship got the ship's electrician to fit them on every fluoro in the ship and they ended up shutting down one of the alternators as the demand had gone down that much. The power factor of magnetic ballasts really suck: lots of recirculating current in and out doing nothing much.

15. Jason

Jason Gold

just old mag ballasts... Nasty bastards!
    15398217135828241590087856361626.jpg

16. I thought they couldn't make them any lower in quality....looks like I was mistaken. I have some old Australian made ballast by Ferguson: they are twice as large as modern units and light the tube with no flicker at all. They must have a massive kick to fire the tube reliably like that.

17. Isn't it fun cutting out ballasts! Lot's of copper in there...

Jason likes this.
  18. Jason

Jason Gold

Hate em. Trashed every one of them. But it was fun.:D