Greetings everyone!

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Barry Booth, Jun 30, 2020 at 4:25 PM.

1. Barry Booth

Barry Booth Copper

So nice to become a member and be around people with a common interest! I've had a propane fired foundry I built some years ago, foundry work has always been a keen interest of mine and it never gets old and always fascinating. Shaking a new casting out of the sand is like opening a Christmas present every time.

I hope I can contribute useful knowledge for everyone and in return I know I'll learn a great deal from your expertise! Barry.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 6:20 PM
    Tobho Mott likes this.
  2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hi Barry, welcome to the forum!

3. Barry Booth

Barry Booth Copper

Thank you David, its a pleasure indeed!

4. Petee716

Petee716 Silver Banner Member

Welcome Barry. You'll like it here. So let's see some of your kit!

Pete

5. Barry Booth

Barry Booth Copper

6. Barry Booth

Barry Booth Copper

Hello Pete, nice to meet you and thank you for the kind greeting, most appreciated! I did post a bit of my kit on the "burner" thread and will post more as soon as I learn how to wheel and deal on posting to the forum. Look forward to swapping ideas and learning from everyone!
    Kind regards, Barry

7. oldironfarmer

oldironfarmer Silver

Welcome to the blind leading the blind. Shed any light you can.

8. Barry Booth

Barry Booth Copper

Ha Ha! I find that hard to believe oldironfarmer, people don't get into this hobby/profession (foundry work) without having a keen interest in learning and experimenting! It's just too hard and dangerous work if you aren't knowledgeable, skilled and ahead of the class in smarts! I look forward to learning from you, like it or not my friend! Barry.

9. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome Barry, looking forward to posts of your foundry and future projects.

Best,
    Kelly

10. Barry Booth

Barry Booth Copper

Correct Sir, plain good old home heating oil, abundant, not cheap but with less pollution than waste oil with the correct stoichiometric ratio.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 11:35 AM
  11. Barry Booth

Barry Booth Copper

Thank you Kelly, most kind! I did post three burners I've built under the "burner" thread you may find interest in...

12. oldironfarmer

oldironfarmer Silver

Although it was meant in jest, in many ways we do stumble around trying what has been tried before refusing to go along with techniques proven over thousands of years. But in doing so we learn for ourselves.

Most people start out watching inaccurate YouTube videos, some of which are just plain wrong and dangerous. This forum is a gathering place for those trying to learn more and improve their skills.

Home heating oil is not available in my area. You said less population, I assume that meant less pollution? Waste motor oil does have metals in it which wind up in the atmosphere, that is a downside however the volumes are miniscule.

What are your goals in foundry work? Mine are primarily making obsolete parts and new machine designs. I'm not much into art, but that's me. Regardless of your thrust the processes are very similar.