Greetings from ND

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Andrew Marquardt, Mar 8, 2023.

1. I got into metal casting as I am currently attempting to build a Gingery lathe, which requires casting many of the parts out of aluminum. I did a lot of research about casting to minimize the risks, but quickly realized that using a propane foundry versus his charcoal one was safer and more efficient, plus I could use it alot more as we are almost always under a burn ban during the summers and winters are way too cold to cast.

My current foundry is lined with the Rutland-type castable from Menards, but I am currently building a larger one with a Kast-o-Lite 30 lining and a combination propane/diesel forced air burner as I am able to get a lot of cast aluminum and copper scrap from my work and need to melt faster. I am also looking to melt scrap lead wheel weights from work into ingots for a relative who casts his own bullets.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    Tobho Mott and Tops like this.
  2. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Welcome Andrew. How big is the new furnace going to be? Sounds like you have a nice source of scrap to feed the hobby. Would love to see some lathe pics if you have them.

3. rocco

rocco Silver

Welcome to the forums.

In many jurisdictions, the use of lead in wheel weights has been discontinued and/or banned so, even in areas where they are legal, many major tire retailers that operate multiple states have voluntarily stopped using lead weights in order to rationize their supply chain. IOW, there's a good chance many of the tire weights you'll get will not be made out of lead.

4. In our shop, we currently use lead adhesive weights and a mixture of coated lead and zinc clip-on weights. Our techs tried using the steel adhesive weights for a while but didn't have good luck with them on our balancer and told me to only order lead or zinc weights if possible.

I am building it out of a 120lb gear oil drum with 10" bore and a 12" depth in the chamber. The current plan is for a 2" thick lining of Kast-o-Lite 30. The total height including the lid will be 16". As for the lathe, I currently only have the bed, carriage, cross slide, compound slide and apron cast. The next step is casting the headstock, but I have to finish up that pattern and make a larger flask first. I have been preoccupied the last couple weeks with finishing out one of the bedrooms in my house, so that has been temporarily put on the back burner. I will try to upload some pictures tonight of what I currently have done.

5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I'd suggest skinnying that down to 1" thick and back it with ceramic fiber.

Best,
    Kelly

6. That was initially my plan but I couldn't figure out how to cast the refractory without soaking the ceramic fiber. I was trying to model the furnace on the one made by Myfordboy while maintaining the outer shell of the gear oil drum as I do not have access to a roller to roll an outer shell after the refractory was cast as he did. My order of Kast-o-Lite shipped today, but I can get the fiber blankets locally from a fireplace store. Do you have any suggestions for the best way to accomplish this?

7. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Here is the most recent thread on the subject. If you search the furnaces and their Construction subforum you will find more.

Form Kastolite using Styrofoam? | The Home Foundry

Best,
    Kelly

Tops likes this.
  8. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Hey Andrew, I just wanted to mention that when I did my furnace with ceramic wool and kastolite 30li plus I didn't worry about soaking the ceramic wool, and my furnace is still in great condition after 6 years so I should think that soaking the ceramic wool is not something to worry about.

Patrick

9. Thanks, that is good to know. I think I will make a trip to the fireplace supplier and pick up some ceramic blanket this weekend in preparation for receiving the Kast-o-Lite later next week providing the weather cooperates.

As I stated earlier, here is a picture of my lathe castings so far, as well as the unfinished pattern for the headstock.

Attached Files:

Tops likes this.