Hello Everyone!

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by B.Rizzy, Mar 12, 2020.

1. B.Rizzy

B.Rizzy Lead

First off I'd like to thank DavidF for accepting my request to join you guys.
    I found The Home Foundry while I was searching for information on a Mifco/McEnglevan "speedy melt" T-160 furnace.
    A little background on me,
    I got into backyard metal casting about 13 years ago. It all started when I discovered Gingerys' series of books. So far I've made the lathe,shaper and crucible furnace (one of these days I'll get the body lifting mechanism to work, I swear).
    I currently work at a silver refinery running a smaller 300# induction furnace and continuous casters in the fabrication department.
    A few months ago the owner decides to clean up the plant and says "any tools you're not using get rid of em'", so I go out to the bone yard and see a rusty Southbend heavy 10 lathe sitting there near a dumpster, I asked the owner what he's planning on doing with it, his reply was "do you want it? If not it's trash." Poor girl's still sitting in my garage in pieces but at least she's safe.
    After I got the lathe (pieces/parts) home I asked the owner about "that furnace against the wall, the gas furnace that's never been hooked up to a gas line or used since who knows when, the one that's taking up space"
    Once again his reply was "if you want it take it, we don't use it."
    So once again, I took the furnace apart and brought it home in pieces. It's not a complete furnace though (I think it was bought at an auction). That's why it has never been used. It's missing ALL of the bells and whistles such as all the electronics (ignition, fireye),blower and gas air mixer. But ah well, at least I have a tilting furnace foundation to start with.
    I plan on running the furnace on propane and only melting aluminum so I'll probably just stick a reil style burner in there and pull the burner out when i'm ready to pour.
    We shall see....

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Welcome B.Rizzy.
    I guess David forgot to mention our "pictures or it didn't happen" policy. Lol!
    Tilting furnace sounds cool. You might be able to put a plinth in there and just use it as a crucible furnace as well. In any event your plan to just put a Reil burner in it sounds like a winner.
    I got my start with Gingery as well. I got the big compilation book but started with the charcoal foundry paperback. He sure did a good job writing his books. I bought all the patterns for both the lathe and the mill from an old boy locally for 50 bucks and saw both of his machines running, but I never built either of them myself. I have loaned the lathe patterns out to someone in the past who actually completed the project (and returned the patterns in better condition than I sent them).
    Anyway, we've got a great bunch of guys here with a very diverse skillset and I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Pete

Jason likes this.
  3. Jason

Jason Gold

Welcome aboard! You don't want all that electronic crap in the way anyways. That junk is for the lawyers and idiots.
    Lets see some photos! We live for that around here.

4. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome, sounds like you brought home a few projects. Fun! Looking forward to seeing some pix as you get it all up and running.

Jeff

5. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome B

6. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome B. If I was you, I think I'd keep asking the boss "hey, what are you going to do with that" until he says no. :)

Best,
    Kelly

7. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Welcome, B nice to see guys getting good deals. I started with Gingery too! One inspiring guy "that Gingery". My first mold was a hollow carved in a board,
    and man was it smokey!
    Patrick

8. Petee716 and Jason like this.
  9. Jason

Jason Gold

There is no such thing as a FREE MACHINE. My free bridgeport has cost me a couple grand in the short 3months I've owned it. :( Just don't tell my wife that!:eek::D