Hello from a Brit living in the top of a mountain in Norway Scandinavia

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Pete, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

A plinth is the sacrificial brick. It is what the crucible rests on in the furnace. Most people use a suitably sized plastic food container as the mold.

Best,
    Kelly

Pete likes this.
  2. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

And, yes, you definitely want to use a plinth. You want your crucible to be elevated4 to 6 inches and not in the direct flame stream for several reasons.

If you have not read through a bunch of the furnace build threads, I'd suggest you do so. Lots of nuggets there---like, for example, the rationale for a plinth---much better crucible life, faster melts as the furnace is cooler near the floor and hotter higher up, "crud" builds up on the floor and yuou do not want your crucible sitting in that, etc.

Denis

Pete likes this.
  3. Pete

Pete Copper

Cheers guys. Yeah I've made the sizes of the furnace with a plinth in mind, to get the burner blowing around the side of the crucible at base of crucible level with the flame not directed at the crucible. I just wasn't sure if you guys buy a furnace brick, or cast one from refractory. So I'll cast the plinth.

Thanks again guys.

4. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

I've used both hard firebrick and Insulating Fire Brick in my furnaces for plinths.
    The IFB's have broken into three pieces but continue to use them. The hard ones are intact with aluminum duty.
    My furnaces are all low mass so the hard firebrick had to go.

Pete likes this.
  5. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

I got really lucky I guess. I probably mixed mine too wet but was able to easily pull the pvc forms out after about 14 to 16 hours. I used a funnel I cut to size as the form for the burner entry. I let it sit for a few days with a light bulb on inside and let it dry after pulling the forms. I havent used it for melting yet but have tested it several times over the last week to see if cracks are going to start showing up or if there were any issues with my design but so far it has been great. I hope to at least melt some aluminum ingots this weekend.

Jason and Tobho Mott like this.