Hello from Alberta

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Gippeto, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Gippeto

Gippeto Silver

Essentially new to melting and casting, built a furnace last year and have been tinkering with burners now. Believe I'm pretty close to being done with that and moving on to casting something other than ingots.

Really interested in trying some lost foam over the winter and setting up the molding bench in the spring. Will be poking around and may even ask a question or nine. ;)

Thanks for the add,

Al

2. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Welcome Al-

I have been following your burner tests on y-tube.
    Looks like you are getting there with the burner and furnace.

There are drip-style folks here, siphon-nozzle folks, pumped style, and the propane/natural gas crowd.

Those with the golden touch seem to be able to melt iron (or about any other common metal) with any burner in any configuration, but I have not been so lucky.
    My preference is the Delavan siphon nozzle, and I prefer it simply because it is the configuration that has worked the best for me when melting iron.
    Actually it is the only burner I have been able to get to melt iron.
    It also works well with aluminum but the melts are really fast, like 12 minutes, and it is easy to overheat aluminum if you don't pay close attention.

I am getting ready to try a pumped Delavan nozzle so I can get away from using an air compressor if I travel with my furnace to art-exhibition iron pours.

I hope you post some photos of your furnace and burner, or better yet, start furnace and burner threads!

There are lots of talented folks here, and some good and helpful foundry discussions.

Good luck with your furnace/burners.

Edit:
    You should post your y-tube channel in the "General Foundry Chat/ Member's Video Channels.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  3. Gippeto

Gippeto Silver

Hi Pat, and thanks for the encouraging words. Recognize a lot of folks from time spent researching over at AA...no shortage of talent/experience here for certain.

I like siphon nozzles too. I have no immediate plans to try iron, but can certainly melt aluminum "comfortably quick" as things sit.

The pumped nozzle sounds interesting, will have to check that out.

Al

4. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Welcome to the forum!

Jeff

5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome Al. Building foundry equipment is fun and so is using it. Looking forward to future posts.

Best,
    Kelly

6. Gippeto

Gippeto Silver

Thanks guys.

Al