Hello from Ireland.

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Mike Holmes, Nov 27, 2022.

1. Hello, my name is Mike Holmes, I am in the process of building a 1/3 scale mill engine from 1850. The drawings are from Hemmingway in UK and they are 1" to the foot ! have done all the patterns and am about half way through the machining of parts. I'm doing a lot of the parts in bronze and the larger parts will be sent out for casting in Iron The flywheel is about 28 inches across bore and stroke 3" x 6" . Quite an interesting engine ! the 1" model can be seen on YouTube, just put in Ransomes and May Mill engine 1850 ,there is a few of them there. I am building a 4 KW electric furnace at the moment and that has got me to this excellent site looking for info on cast ceramic liner

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Oooh welcome. Thats a good project. We love pictures tho!

The term you're after is "castable refractory" for the lining of your furnace. There are many brands for sale in different places. I bought mine from a Foundry supply place near me. The brand is vesuvius 3000 F. Anything 3000f or higher is a good bet.

3. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Welcome Mike!

4. I have been on to a few suppliers and they have told me that their refractories are not suitable for electric furnaces as the are electrically conductive ????? I do not know enough to contradict them!

5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

It may be electrically conductive while it is still wet and uncured but given compositions I would seriously doubt so after being cured. I made a dense refractory liner for my electric furnace and it worked fine, accept the thermal mass was quite high and it took a longer time to heat up initially. It also conducted heat better toward the outer furnace wall which made it more difficult to reduce the heat of the elements as the exited the furnace. The dense refractory build followed a insulated fire brick iner which was a good trade off and certain as to why most kilns are such. The dense refractory build is here:

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/furnace-fail-reconstruction.209/

I eventually built a very low mass furnace which I still use today and really like it, but thus far has been strictly aluminum duty.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/in...w-mass-electric-furnace.607/page-4#post-16069

Best,
    Kelly

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Agree. I doubt its conductive but even if it was just space the element away from the wall with a non conductive spacer material. Or to hell with electric and use propane. Its super clean and burns very hot and fast.