Hello from Norway

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Zepticon, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Zepticon

Zepticon Copper

Hi everyone!
    I a new member from Norway with lots of different ideas and projects. I joined this forum to get some advice on the casting various different items, and i am looking forward to reading about the various ways of creating casting molds. I have a background in Industrial Design Engineering but ended up in the IT business, so on my free time im trying to get an outlet for making physical things.

Currently, i have built my own dual-burner furnace from scratch, and i cant wait to figure out all the things i should have done differently when i start using it. Its made to not be limited in terms of "amateur" crucible sizes, and should fit the largest ones typically available for us home-gamers. Its not burnt in yet so that is gonna be exciting.

Here are some images of that:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The start of all this was to be able to make a car part that does not exist.
    So that part is getting pretty expensive:D Would have been cheaper to have it 3D printet in metal, but not nearly as fun.

But now that i have a forge, things i would look to cast is both car parts and other tings like tabletop minatures and sculptures and just all kinds of other usefull stuff. Anything i can 3D print i can now make in metals, and thats pretty usefull :D Also, using 3D printers and castable resin i can make stuff in my garage that larger manufacturers will have to spend thousands in tooling to make.

2. Zepticon

Zepticon Copper

Here are some of the current prints waiting to get cast when i do my first attempt. Its going to be so much failure, but im looking forward to it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up on my build plans are making equipment for vaccuum casting, and i might need me a electric furnace for buring out PLA, wax and castable resins.

3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome Zepticon.

You furnace is nicely done and well insulated. Metal fabrication is a good skill for a foundryman. Thta's a good introductory post.
    1. What is the bore of the furnace?
    2. What is the largest crucible you intend to use?
    3. What type of castable refractory is that? Is it insulating or dense? Service Temperature?
    4. What are you intending to use for fuel to fire the furnace?
    5. What metals do you intend to cast.
    Best,
    Kelly

4. Zepticon

Zepticon Copper

Thanks!
    1. The diameter of the furnace is (if i remember correct) is about 30 cm /12 inches.
    2. I am not sure to be honest. The bore is made to suit 22kg crucibles from the meassures i could find. But that is probably way overkill from what im actually need.
    3. It is dense. I first used a castable refractory that is able to handle 1500C (Höganäs Lo Cement - (Flow LC 50 AR). But i messed up and the casting didnt go that well as i did not make enough space around the insulation so i had a large spot without coverage. So i ended up using a different refractory (Höganäs Conventional - (GUN CC 652)) that i applied by hand on top of that which is able to handle 1650C. Then i plan on using one of those reflective top coatings (100HT or something). I am aware that it might crack like hell when i fire it up but that is a learning experience for me. The inner insulation is two different types, one who can take 2300F and one that can take 2500F.

So from the outside to the inside i have: Insulation 2300F -- Insulation 2500F -- Refractory 2700F -- Refractory 3000F

4. My two burners are Propane based. 2x DFCPROF (200.000 BTU each) from Devil Forge In hindsight i should just have bought a ready made furnace from them and saved a ton of money xD
    5. I want to try everything, but i think mostly Alu, Brass and Bronze.

Tops likes this.
  5. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Zepticon, thanks for the pictures. I like the hinge mechanism on your furnace. Do you like how it works?

6. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude Copper

Welcome aboard! Very creative....Can't wait to see some castings...

7. Zepticon

Zepticon Copper

It works very smooth for now. Its as you probably see two 20mm ID ball bearings mounted to a pipe/tube. I will make some adjustments to keep the lid at a 135 degree when its open and not a full 180 like it sits now. Just to keep everything more stable.

Tops likes this.
  8. Ferrisbeu

Ferrisbeu Silver

I do a TON of brass/copper coin making. doing it for a couple years. dm on my instagram @Ferrisbeu