Hello from Saxony

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by cast_and_forge, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Hey guys,

thanks for letting me join your community. Iam Tim, 26, from Saxony in Germany.
    My hobbies are blacksmithing and casting. I did some bronze and aluminum castings in the past and Iam looking forward to cast my own iron parts at home at some point in the future...
    Currently Iam restoring an old camelback drillpress from around 1900. I got it cheap, but the drivetrain with all the pulleys is missing. So I think thats the first project you will see from me here

Tim

2. amber foundry

amber foundry Copper

Hi to you Tim from the UK

3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Welcome Tim. Those old camelbacks are a pleasure to look at. Casting the cone pulleys would be a very ambitious first project. Although I'm not afraid of a challenge, I'd be on the lookout for a junk lathe and pick off the pulleys. There's alot to learn.
    We love pictures here!

Pete

4. Rob Hall

Rob Hall Copper

Welcome! I am a belt drive type of guy. I can always find cone pulleys as well as the brackets here in the US. Not sure what farm sales look like Auf Deutschland.

5. So in Germany its either just flea markets or ebay to get those pulleys from.
    The drillpress is basically just the upper half with the table. I had to build a new "foot" for it and need to design the whole drivetrain assembly from scratch.
    I did the calculations for what pulleys are needed to get the specific rpm's, using an old motor I salvaged. Not sure if I should do a seperate thread about this project with all the pictures and steps?

I dont think I will find those pulleys with the needed dimensions anytime soon.

6. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I'll be looking forward to it

7. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Me too, welcome to the forum!

Jeff