Hello From UK

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Sirgei, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

Hello

I found this forum while searching Google for some advice. I hope I can find answers here.

I was trying to find some information on using Plaster of Paris mold for casting Aluminium amd copper. I couldn't find anything anywhere.

To Forum Admin:

Please tell me where should I put my thread with the question. I looked all threds here and it seems what I ant to ask doesn't fit any where.

I would post it in a few days as I need to describe it as good as it is possible.

Thank you

Sirgei

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hi Sergei, and welcome.
    I would suggest buying actual investment powder rather than plaster of Paris...
    How about telling us a bit about what you would like to cast, and any prior experience.

3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Welcome Sergei
    I'm glad you found us. There's lots of good information here from folks with alot of experience. I'm looking forward to seeing your ideas.

Pete

4. Jason

Jason Gold

Yup.. Welcome. Buy proper investment and save yourself a WORLD of headaches. Not sure what you are casting or how big it is...
    But you are probably looking for Ultravest from Ransom & Randolph. This is the common investment used for solid block investment.
    There are others too, but for lost wax or maybe lost PLA, this is your huckleberry.

5. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

Ransom & Randolph-This shop is in USA. I am in UK and this is not avaliable here.

I have prior experience with casting Lead, Tin and Zinc into molds made of green casting sand

Aluminium and Copper I haven't done. But I have no options now.
    I need certain items made of Aluminium and Copper for a few projects I am running.
    Here is no way to get them made to order. Not in UK.
    UK is not like my home country - I have immigrated to UK from Republic of Belarus. Next to Poland and Russian Federation.
    In Belarus and Russia here are workshops that can make metal items. It would ofc cost, but here many. My friend from Nebraska said that can easyli make anything metallic back in his town without any problems.

In UK it is different.

Here in UK is such thing called European Union Health & Safety Law.
    By this Law, it is not allowed to sell certain items to general public.
    Also, not allowed to deal with general public. Only with trade.
    I was looking for the places here that might make what I need, but all of them except 2 had regused to even talk to me on the phone. Said they only deal if I got a license. 2 places that agreed put me a hellish price for the outcomes. And I can't choose metal it is made from. 1 deals only with Steel.
    Another deals with Aluminium but not Copper. Price I was given for the Aluminium parts & size of them was over £3000 EACH.
    That is $3780 for Each. I am not rich. I can't pay this much for an item 300mm wide and may be 500-600 gram in weight.
    Plus they said they want to know if I would order many of them after they make me the initial 2 items.
    When I said I would not need a lot of them. May be 4-6 total guy just hung up. I phoned him again and he said ''don't call here again to waste my time''

I will buy an item like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3KG-Auto...593532?hash=item3b3b65bc3c:g:FV8AAOSwTYZdspyj

Last year in Autumn I tried making a coal-fired Furnace using a mix of 50% Sand and 50% Plaster of Paris. I did it like it was shown on youtube video and that had failed. I have broken down all plaster used in that try and grounded it to powder to re-use for molds instead.
    I read that such mix of Sand and Plaster has a thermal range of up-to 1200c
    So, it can be broken up and re-used.

I have never heard of investment powder.
    And not sure it can be re-used.
    As I say I am not rich. I can't afford to buy new powders constantly

I will post a description of the casting I mapped out in the LOST WAX thread.
    As I think it is the place for t since I be using candle wax for it.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

I do know where you are located. If you click a members name, a window pops up with their location. R&R has a branch in the UK and Ultravest is actually inexpensive. BTW, candle wax is not what is commonly used. The correct low expanding wax is called microcrystalline. It's not expensive either. You will find real quick with metal casting, trying to save a penny here and there will only cost you much more in the long run. Our forum has members with DECADES of experience. I've only been at this a few years, but have taken full advantage of their wisdom. Nothing wrong with standing on the shoulders of giants.

Ransom & Randolph
    European Office

HTM Tradeco Ltd.

Southern Comfort Building
    37 Aden Road
    Enfield
    Middx. EN3 7SY United Kingdom
    UK Phone: +44 208 44 34 323
    UK Fax: +44 208 80 40 127
    Email: contact@htmtradeco.com

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  7. Peedee

Peedee Silver

8. myfordboy

myfordboy Silver

I get all my supplies in the UK, investment plaster, greensand, sodium silicate, flux etc from
    https://www.artisanfoundry.co.uk/
    Very friendly, quick delivery no minimum order.

9. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

Newcastle Upon Tyne

10. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

I write to them now on e-mail and ask for a quota and conditions.

11. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

12. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

I have written to them and this is their answer I got today:

Hi,

Thank you for your recent enquiry.

I have checked with my technical team and unfortunately, we cannot help with your requirements on this occasion.

My apologies.

Please do not hesitate to contact us in the future if I can be of any further assistance.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Stevie Avis

Customer Service Manager

So, this adds yet another refusal to already a long list of them.

13. Peedee

Peedee Silver

What did you actually write to them?

14. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

Here is the text:

Hello

Your site was recommended to me as a firm who would deal with members of public.

I need to ask You for a price on making 2 possibly more items from Copper metal.

Size of the items:

2 Cylinders

Cylinder #1:

120mm wide
    300mm long
    Wall thickness max 3mm

Cylinder #2:

90mm wide
    300mm long
    Wall thickness max 3mm

All local metal working shops have outright refused or given me unreasonable prices

Would you please say your opinion?

Thank you

Yours Sincerely
    Sirgei Borisov

15. Peedee

Peedee Silver

They are foundry material suppliers Sirgei, not a foundry, I gave you the link when you were suggesting casting it yourself.

16. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

I am sorry for the misunderstanding

With the parts I don't have the problem.

Ebay has everything.

17. Jason

Jason Gold

That investment powder is what is used in solid block lost wax investments. Looks like it's basically ultravest under a different name. This method of casting is done in a metal flask. The wax pattern is placed in the flask and it's filled up with the liquid investment. After it hardens, the flask is heated until the wax is burned out leaving a hollow space for the molten metal to fill. Jewelers prefer this method of casting because of it's very high resolution and accuracy capturing tiny details. Comparatively speaking, it is the most expensive method, but yields exceptional results far surpassing ceramic shell or sand casting. We run a 3d resin printer for jewelry work and are able to burn it out of this investment.

I still think for your tight tolerances, casting the main bodies of the parts to approximate dimension followed by machining to fit is the easiest way to go. They can then be pressed fit together. Ya need to make friends with someone with a lathe. I just bought one earlier this year and got a hell of a good deal on it. I've always wanted one and am still learning, but for 2grand, I would have been a dumb ass to not buy it. You can see it on my yt channel. Keep in mind, if you decide to go the machining route, you don't need solid black investment. Good old sand casting would be fine. Cheap and fast.

18. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

I have a question to You - is it possible to run a lathe off hand drill?
    I run wood lathe off hand drill.
    I am wondering if can run metal one.
    Really, I am begging to think about this now

19. Jason

Jason Gold

no, a drill wont work. unlike wood, the cutting forces turning metal are REALLY high.

20. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

What kind of motor then?
    If you know.
    Router motor may be?