Hello

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Raymond Buford, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Hey everyone I hope to retire in the next year and my wife says I need to get a hobby. So I am just getting started.

2. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Welcome Raymond! There is a lot to learn, but there is also lots of help.:)
    Patrick

3. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Congrats on both counts, and welcome!

Jeff

4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Happy wife happy life. Welcome!

5. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Welcome Raymond,
    We have a great group here. Lots to learn and even more to do. Your wife may not know what she's gotten herself into!

Pete

6. Jason

Jason Gold

You just THOUGHT you were done working... ;) Casting is a really fun and challenging hobby. Whatcha thinking? Many of our old farts
    make cool little steam engines. That kinda drags in the machining aspect of the hobby. (mill, lathe, etc)
    Some here, do artsy fartsy pieces (like my worthless art:oops:) Some do belt buckles, some tool stuff, some car parts....

Then there is what metal? Most start with aluminum, then bronze and brasses with iron kinda being for the advanced metal workers.
    Whatever you decide, welcome to the looney bin! The sky is the limit with this stuff. I suggest a good place to start is by looking through our bible.

http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showt...orial-Book&s=cf9aee17301448a0e35f4cb2f7a38df8

You'll spend money on this hobby, but it's a better gamble than the slots at the bellagio!