Hello

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Gary Glisan, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Gary Glisan

Gary Glisan Copper

Hello everyone!

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Hi Gary
    You gotta give us a little more than that.

3. Gary Glisan

Gary Glisan Copper

Ha! Well, I am interested in the foundry work you all do, but I do not have the equipment or knowledge to do it myself. Specifically I am trying to find out if I could learn enough to make an emblem for my car. But for now I just want to learn. :)

4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Easy peasy you can put together a cheap furnace with a BBQ tank some pipe a high pressure regulator and some fiber blanket. Maybe 150 bucks in materials.

5. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

A 408 emblem for a mustang?? ;):)

6. Petee716

Depending on the metal you decide to use, your setup doesn't necessarily need to be too elaborate to make an emblem. I think they're often made of zamack or other zinc alloy which tend to be fairly low temp and can be poured into silicone or even wooden molds. Or you could go the other way and head toward aluminum. Whatever you decide, we'll meet you where you're at!

Pete

7. Gary Glisan

Gary Glisan Copper

Making the mold looks t
    Yeah. How did you know? I have tried to find someone to make it with no luck. Going to see what it would take to make a set. I have a request out to Ford to get the rights to either make it or have it made, should have an answer in a couple of weeks. They seem pretty cool if you are not producing quantities for sale.
    I have a billet company that will do it, but I don't think it will turn out the way I want it.
    Can't hurt to try.

8. DavidF

You e mailed me about them, but I have not had a chance to reply. I have alot of projects going on atm, and am currently having a heart attack over the estimate I got for getting a new roof and siding on my old farm house.
    Good thing there is Amish builders just a couple streets over...
    20210226_160126.jpg

9. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That looks like the "I don't want to do it" bid but if you pay me this much I will......

Best,
    K

10. Zapins

Zapins Gold

That's a crazy quote. May also be bc materials are so expensive now. One 2x4 is 6.50 now in my area and a sheet of 8x4, 16 gauge is 122. I'd wait a couple months until this covid stuff settles with the vaccine and supply catches up to demand.

I wanted to buy four 8x4 ft sheets of 3/4" plywood at lowes and the price is now $54 per board... wtf. A year ago is was under 30. Madness.

dennis likes this.
  11. Petee716

I'll be very surprised if the prices ever go back down.

DavidF likes this.
  12. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I'm sure they will but may take another year. The situation with lumber will come right. Many mills closed due to covid, also people at home overbuying wood to fix up home projects while stuck out of work, lots of recent fires in wood harvesting areas cutting down supply and then on top of it winter is when wood prices are highest anyway due to demand. Those will all change at some point. If you can wait another year I'd bet you'll see significant price drop in material costs.

Metal supplies I haven't looked into as deeply. I suspect the reasons are similar but with different countries involved.

13. DavidF

Yea, that's not the direction we're heading in for certain... this country needs to be better represented for our taxes. That's as much as I will publicly comment , don't need to steer the forum down this road...

Benjamin's quote was much more realistic...
    And I feel safer if that makes any sense

14. Gary Glisan

Gary Glisan Copper

Unbelievable quote! I sure hope the prices do come down on construction products. But I see gas prices are heading up too. I guess we can try to stay positive and hope things settle down.

15. Gary Glisan

Gary Glisan Copper

I didn't realize that was you. I have been searching for some time to try and find someone that has the skill, experience and equipment that would be willing to give this a shot. I have a good deal wrapped up in this car and I am trying to find just the right touch to make it look the way I want it to.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  16. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

It's a small world... :D

Jeff

17. DavidF

I'd like to know where I could purchase silicone that would hold up to zinc temperatures

I'd love to see a picture of your mustang.
    The trickiest part of making your emblem is getting the studs to line up perfect with the holes in the body, that is why they are usually die cast.
    The other thing is the cost. Popping out a few thousand die cast emblems can make the price per emblem pretty low. But making just one or two is pretty costly. And then there is the chrome plating of the casting which I have been given quotes of up to $125.00 each for small emblems. But I have recently found a guy in Michigan that will do them for $35. Provided I have them fully polished and all he has to do is plate them....

18. Petee716

19. Gary Glisan

Gary Glisan Copper

20200901_134550.jpg She started here in 1981 "first restoration"

20. Gary Glisan

Gary Glisan Copper

Now she is getting ready for paint after a complete restoration. The engine is being built at the same time. Floor, framerails, doors, roof, almost all new metal throughout. Added 4 link with a 9 inch rear and a Mustang II front suspension. 20210126_133711.jpg