Help with making 2D letters into 3D patterns to be printed.

Discussion in 'Pattern making' started by Paperman, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Paperman

Paperman Copper

Pretty new to the casting world. My son and I would like to cast my wifes initials and set them on a hardwood base for mothers day. Id like to make the letters in an overlapping script. Can anyone lead me to a tutorial or guide on how to get this into a STL file I can print. I have Acad and SW to draw with but am very green with them as well. Ill take any suggestion as to a better looking H K initials as well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  2. Mach

Mach Silver

This one is good for the basics.

You'll want to loft instead of extrude in the vertical direction to add draft, if you're sand casting. Let me know if you need help.

You're image isn't coming through.

3. Paperman

Paperman Copper

4. Mach

Mach Silver

Attached are two files - an SVG and an STL. My toolchain/steps to get to this point.
    Trace - CorelDraw to trace the bitmap to vector image
    Clean/Edit - CorelDraw to edit
    Export - Convert SVG from CorelDraw
    Import - Import into 3d software AutoDesk 123D
    Extrude - Extrude into vertical direction

Now the problem with this approach is adding the draft. I can't do it with my 3D software due to the sketch complexity - it won't offset or loft. You'll need the added draft to pull the patern from your sand. Maybe some one else can comment on a better tool. I ran into this problem once before with a script TV logo.

Attached Files:

5. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

Is the image linked about the complexity you need/want? If so the 'easy' way in SW is to import the sketch (Tools/ Sketch tools/Sketch Picture)
    Adjust transparency as desired.
    Scale as needed using inserted polygon of appropriate size and then check the dimension of that polygon. Scale the picture and polygon as needed.
    Open a second sketch over the picture.
    Trace over the picture using lines and 2 point splines.* The referenced 'HK' will need some 3 point splines for the K leg.
    Extrude the whole part, with draft, then back cut the details, again with draft.
    Save as **.STL.
    3D print.

If all you need is something built using canned font that is even easier and quicker.
    If you want to get really fancy - use something like Blender. Don't ask me for help with that.............still learning myself.

sketch 1.jpg Sketch 2.JPG

* 2 point splines are pretty easy to drag around to fit what you need.

6. Mach

Mach Silver

I haven't tried Solidworks yet - assuming that's what you meant by SW. Do you know if the maker version has the extrude with draft?

7. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

Yes, SW = SolidWorks. I have never even seen a screen of the maker version, so no idea what it can do.
    If you haven't tried SW yet consider starting with Alibre. Much cheaper and very similar methods/menu.

8. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Which font are you using? I can do it real quick if I have the right font.

9. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

@Paperman, which ACAD products do you have?
    At work I might use Mechanical, Mtext, and TXTEXP (in Express Tools) to get Windows fonts to become editable polylines or go right to Inventor.
    At home I'd go after it in Fusion360 with a trace-over. The simpler the outline, the easier extruding with draft, offsets, and fillets become.
    The original font/design on the Dribble link is very 'sign-paintery' with wispy lines with sharp points.
    Below picture is with drop shadows removed, traced over with as simple lines/splines and mirroring where possible. Inner raised area was offset from outer extrusion. Both are 7 degrees draft and a nominal radius.
    text_redraw_extrude.png

10. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

Going down a completely different path...............
    This might be one of those cases where the old school methods are faster than modern digital.
    How about getting some bake-able clay from HobbyLobby and build the pattern using that method?

11. Paperman

Paperman Copper

Thanks guys, been battling work hours here so online time has gone away. Ill start working with the above information.

Im not stuck on any particular font, she is the artist in the family, Im the mechanical grunt. Im a functional over decorative kind.

Just trying to get my 15yr old invested in MAKING it rather than buying it.

Smoking Shoe, Tobho Mott and rocco like this.
  12. rocco

rocco Silver

That's a worthy goal! Good luck.

13. I tried an experiment recently that worked quite well. I 3D printed some lettering and glued them to a surface then used a 2-part epoxy putty (milliput here in the UK) and formed a thin string after mixing it. I then pushed it into the join of lettter and surface to act as a fillet. I used a wet spatula to get a good finish. No other filling, sanding or painting required.