Hi from Ca

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Bill W, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Bill W

Bill W Copper

Hello forum members. I'm new to the casting/foundry hobby.

My first project is to make some custom emblems for my car (65 Mercury Cyclone) As with all newbys, I'll probably ask a bunch of questions. I found this forum by watching the videos where the author (not sure what his name is) duplicated a car emblem.

There's a lot of talent on this board. I hope I can learn enough to offer advice sometime soon.

Thanks, Bill

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hi Bill, welcome to the forum.
    Curious as to which emblem, I thought they were reproducing them already??

3. Bill W

Bill W Copper

There isn't a lot of repop stuff made for the 65 Comets and the part I want to make is a custom one. It seems people make runs of 100 parts for these cars and it takes too long to sell so they don't make more. Parts are hard to come by for this particular car. One year only. By the way, I really like those videos you make. You make it look so simple. I put a post on the investment casting forum that shows what the part will look like once I solve my problems. Thanks.

DavidF likes this.
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

Youtube is all one big lie! NOTHING is as easy as we tend to make it look. It's the magic of film.
    Let's see what you are thinking for this emblem.

5. Bill W

Bill W Copper

Hi Jason,

Yeah, The you tube videos do make it look easy. I recognize this is a learned skill. Here is a photo of a bad part. You can get an idea of what I good part should look like. This part came out of a 2 part mold where the heat of the pewter burned the mold. I think I had the sprew (spelling?) too large at a 5/16 square. Thanks Bill

Attached Files:

Jason likes this.
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

He's cool!

DavidF likes this.
  7. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Good stuff, and welcome!

Jeff