Hi From Canada

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Planebuilder, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Planebuilder

Planebuilder Copper

Hi Guys. First I'm here to learn. I built a small propane furnace a number of years ago (10 maybe) I have done a number of castings, mostly prototypes that I then had a commercial caster reproduce. He was an artist and produced awesome quality, unfortunately he had health issues and the new manager let quality drop. I decided to set up to make my own castings. I have done lost foam, green sand and now use petrobond. Just bought my first load of Tenzaloy 713. Next need is a Muller, will post in that section.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Welcome. What kind of stuff are you making? Got on photos?

3. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

And welcome from Canada!:D
    I had to look up Tenzaloy 713. Sounds interesting, as most of us here who are casting aluminum use A356 cast auto scrap like wheels etc.

I built my muller by modifying a Princess Auto cement mixer I got on sale, works great. I've got a build thread on it here somewhere if you're interested.

Looking forward to seeing what sort of stuff you cast.

Jeff

4. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome!

I'm not familiar with that alloy but it looks very similar to self/naturally aging 300 series casting alloys. I use A356, sometimes with modifiers and refiners. Post treatment to T5 is easily achieved. T6 is doable but much trickier. If weight isn't an issue Zamak alloys also have nice as-cast properties.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/happiness-is.339/page-2#post-27193

Best,
    Kelly

5. Planebuilder

Planebuilder Copper

Jeff, I looked at your muller, nice work there! If I can't get the Mulbaro for a good price (including shipping from Montreal) I may go with a Mixer, I have found old HD ones on Kijiji.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  6. Planebuilder

Planebuilder Copper

Some of the stuff I cast.
    Lost foam pulley. Lots of prep work, successful but too time consuming, then I made a match plate pattern, worked even better and much faster.
    DSCF0466.jpg DSCF0482.jpg
    Ant Hill
    IMG_2018.JPG
    We cast 2 "rings" about 20" dia. , milled a slot and placed a heater element in the slot, sandwiched between the rings. It is a tube end plate welder for floating dock tubes my son builds. (tried to upload a Video, guess it needs to be Youtube)
    Rudder pedals
    IMG_1929.JPG
    I cast a male/female die set to press this SS star cap for a filter tower.
    DSCN9767.JPG

OMM and Tobho Mott like this.
  7. Jason

Jason Gold

Whoa!! Nice work. Do you cast AIRPLANES too? lol

8. Planebuilder

Planebuilder Copper

Thanks Jason, nope don't cast airplanes, just some of the parts for them. Just finished a flap bellcrank mount, design, patterning, casting and the jig to machine it took about a month!

Morgan

9. Planebuilder

Planebuilder Copper

Here is the MDF pattern and finished heater ring. It was cast in a one sided sand mold open face, then milled flat. I just wrapped the MDF with clear 2" packing tape to "finish" it smooth, worked great.
    DSCF7582.JPG
    This is the Flap Bellcrank Mount. CNC cut MDF pattern, then cast aluminum. I cut out the center in the aluminum #1 and used it to cast another. Cleaned #2 up and used it to cast the final one.
    IMG_3455.JPG DSCF7578.JPG DSCF7581.JPG

Tobho Mott likes this.
  10. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Wow, well done!

Jeff

11. OMM

OMM Silver

Another Howdy from Ontario Canada

12. Planebuilder

Planebuilder Copper

Hi Matt, If it were not for Covid I would ask everyone to come visit! Someday!!

13. Jason

Jason Gold

Quick question for ya... Are you coating your foam before burying it in sand??? If so, what are you using?

14. Planebuilder

Planebuilder Copper

yes, I coated it by dipping in a drywall mud slurry a number of times, then allow to dry. Very time consuming, but amazing detail.
    DSCF0467.jpg

OMM likes this.
  15. Jason

Jason Gold

YUP Yup.. Works good. Kelly around here is our resident foam guy. He uses some kind of commercially available mud. Might asky him about it if he doesn't chime it.

A couple of years ago, I experimented coating foam with ceramic shell then just burned the stinky shit out in a kiln. It's an expensive process, but could be suitable for oddball shapes. It worked well not having to rely on the metal to do the job of removing the foam.;)