Hot wax in the morning?

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Kurtis Kiesel, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

So I need to add a lot of channels, I'll take any sprue-ing advice.
    20190110_051012.jpg
    P.s. Not dead just busy.

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I think it will cast nicely as is. Only modification I'd recommend is to angle the sprues from the center upwards to meet the crosses on future pieces. That way when you pour, metal will not splash into the crosses before it fills from the bottom up. You want to reduce the turbulence the final part sees, so angling the sprue from the low point at the central sprue upwards to the cross ensures liquid will only enter it from the bottom, not from top and bottom at the same time. This reduces air and gasses getting mixed in with the metal and gives a better surface finish.

You're already using square sprues, which according to a foundry guy I spoke with is best for bronze. It reduces turbulence as well compared with round sprues.

The tips of the arms will cast as they are but they will be weak until fully coated. Any bump will break them off. You might want to add a smaller sprue to the center or somewhere else to provide a bit of support.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

I'm with zap... Ends of the crosses back to the main sprue for added support. You thought that last one was heavy... Wait until you get 6 layers on this dude. It'll weigh 20lbs.