Howdy from Texas

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Miles Lowry, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Miles Lowry

Miles Lowry Copper

although this is definitely the wrong time of year for melting metals in Texas I've never been accused of being normal or sane. I built my foundry from a helium tank that I got from the Dollar Tree after they had emptied it filling balloons. I lined the bottom with fire brick and the sides and lid with ceramic wool. It works great. So far I've been jacking around melting this and that, so far aluminum, copper and brass. I bought a neat little cast iron Texas and have used it for a mold.

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Howdy Miles, welcome to the forum.

We live for pictures here :D

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Welcome Miles. Yes, it's been a hot one this year. Post photos of your creation. If you video your stuff and stick it up on youtube, we have a thread here to post your channel.

4. Miles Lowry

Miles Lowry Copper

YouTube isn't my thing but I do have some photos and video. What are the size restrictions for photos and videos? I just tried to post a video but apparently .5m is to large

5. Miles Lowry

Miles Lowry Copper

Here are some Texas castings. The copper and brass ones are 3.5 Lbs.

Attached Files:

6. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah the site won't take a video, you'll have to post it elsewhere and post the link here.
    You're states look good. Keep at it!

7. Miles Lowry

Miles Lowry Copper

Thanks, it was just a cheap cast iron deal I bought at the grocery store. I learned from previous mistakes to preheat the mold well and let it cool a bit before dousing it in water so it doesn't crack. I'm going to make a star metal stamp so I can stamp a star at various city locations.

8. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Welcome Miles,
    It looks like you're off to a good start. I've gotten some good lessons working in hot sunshine this summer, especially doing bronze pours. Even though we top out at 90f here around Buffalo, fully outfitted in PPE around that furnace for a few hours in the sun will wipe me out. I did an aluminum pour yesterday at dusk. It felt like I was on vacation!

Pete

9. Miles Lowry

Miles Lowry Copper

That's why I work vampire hours, dusk till dawn. I also make chainmaille jewelry 20200210_171114_copy_1134x844.jpg 20191102_194539_copy_1134x1925.jpg 20191102_194511_copy_1134x1925.jpg

10. Miles Lowry

Miles Lowry Copper

11. Miles Lowry

Miles Lowry Copper

may not be able to post videos but a GIF is no problem

12. Jason

Jason Gold

I do the same thing in the summer. Just don't call me before the crack of noon!

13. Miles Lowry

Miles Lowry Copper

Yeah, you're lucky to get ahold of me before 3

Jason likes this.